Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Shanty Town

User Info Menu

Re: Shanty Town

Giving with your heart is good. BUT, giving with your INFORMED BRAIN, from boots on the ground .... is, long term, better!

Administrator

User Info Menu

With the real world being what it is, all we can do is become informed as we can. With information comes enlightenment.

Living in any country, developed or developing, there are always inequities. I recently saw a documentary on the homeless in Hollywood, CA. Quite enlightening.

A study was done in NYC using relatives looking like anonymous homeless folks and their blood relatives walked around or over them without a thought. When one experiences poverty, often they become immune to its existence.

Obviously Lenbert sees it and recognizes it for what it is, pure human suffering. Whatever you label it, shanty, squattering, ghettos, slums, it all comes down to other humans that are not part of the "system" and they have become marginalized.

With his pub crawl, Lenbert has seen with his own eyes the direct impact the donations, gifts and money has on these people in his neighborhood. I have been there and witnessed it myself.

This is an emotional issue for Lenbert. I know that for certain. He has seen bartenders at even some small bars tipped more in one round than some of these people see in a month. Life is not fair to all, and I am sure many of you have experienced it in your own life or the lives of friends or family members.

Lenbert has admitted he is not a legal charity. We cannot expect him to know all the legal aspects of the accounting and audits involved with legal charities. In the same vein, he cannot be certain what goes on behind closed doors of the "shanties". His position comes from visceral experience, trying to correct an inequity that hurts his soul.

Lenbert and I have talked in length about this, and while we have differing opinions on how to get there, we both know something needs to be done.

I have always been a believer in the idea of teaching one to fish because it feeds for a lifetime. But if there is not adequate time to teach, what are the alternatives?

Jamaicans are extremely lucky in the fact that food actually grows on trees and it is impossible to freeze to death. But when one sees the hungry children moments after witnessing tips that equal a month income, emotions can and will have an effect.

I still believe that giving away "donations" for the most part has an overall negative impact. But if Lenbert can organize the children's orchestra, then the community will be giving something back to show their appreciation for what they have been given.

If this becomes a reality, it will be hard to argue with the result.

But as Maggie wrote, "Poverty, Inc." is a reality. Lenbert, and each of us have to weigh the reality versus the possibility of an unlikely positive outcome.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I agree with Rob about teaching a man to fish......but he has to eat while he learns.

My wife and I have known Lenbert for a few years and have been on a dozen or so pub crawls. We have brought school supplies, toys, backpacks etc. to the children of Jamaica. A couple of years ago Lenbert and I had a discussion about what we could bring that would help the children the most. Lenbert's reply was "musical instruments". I thought it was an odd request but I realized that children that have an interest in music actually do better in school and are more focused. By bringing musical instruments and hopefully getting the kids interested in music, we can help them in other areas as well. We look forward to hearing the orchestra someday and to know we had a little help getting it started.

So far the wife and I have brought more than 50 instruments to Lenbert. We don't pass them out to the kids, but we turn them over to Lenbert to let him get them into the correct hands. After our last trip, Lenbert posted a video of all the kids on the bus playing our musical instruments after a day at the beach. Not one child knew how to play an instrument but the cacophony of noise was music to our ears. I can't stop smiling every time I watch that video. We are already stockpiling instruments for our November trip and can't wait to turn them over to Lenbert. I have promised him that with every trip we will bring better quality instruments each time.

Giving is a good thing, but give intelligently. We hope by our giving of musical instruments at least one child will become focused in school and possibly even excel in music and their education. We love Jamaica and we trust Lenbert to do what he thinks is best for his community. His love for his community and his commitment to help his neighbors is one of the things we have come to love about Lenbert and the spirit of the people of Jamaica.

We look forward to many more trips to Negril and to giving back as much as we can to the people and place we have come to love.

One Love and Jah Bless!
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    With the real world being what it is, all we can do is become informed as we can. With information comes enlightenment.

Living in any country, developed or developing, there are always inequities. I recently saw a documentary on the homeless in Hollywood, CA. Quite enlightening.

A study was done in NYC using relatives looking like anonymous homeless folks and their blood relatives walked around or over them without a thought. When one experiences poverty, often they become immune to its existence.

Obviously Lenbert sees it and recognizes it for what it is, pure human suffering. Whatever you label it, shanty, squattering, ghettos, slums, it all comes down to other humans that are not part of the "system" and they have become marginalized.

With his pub crawl, Lenbert has seen with his own eyes the direct impact the donations, gifts and money has on these people in his neighborhood. I have been there and witnessed it myself.

This is an emotional issue for Lenbert. I know that for certain. He has seen bartenders at even some small bars tipped more in one round than some of these people see in a month. Life is not fair to all, and I am sure many of you have experienced it in your own life or the lives of friends or family members.

Lenbert has admitted he is not a legal charity. We cannot expect him to know all the legal aspects of the accounting and audits involved with legal charities. In the same vein, he cannot be certain what goes on behind closed doors of the "shanties". His position comes from visceral experience, trying to correct an inequity that hurts his soul.

Lenbert and I have talked in length about this, and while we have differing opinions on how to get there, we both know something needs to be done.

I have always been a believer in the idea of teaching one to fish because it feeds for a lifetime. But if there is not adequate time to teach, what are the alternatives?

Jamaicans are extremely lucky in the fact that food actually grows on trees and it is impossible to freeze to death. But when one sees the hungry children moments after witnessing tips that equal a month income, emotions can and will have an effect.

I still believe that giving away "donations" for the most part has an overall negative impact. But if Lenbert can organize the children's orchestra, then the community will be giving something back to show their appreciation for what they have been given.

If this becomes a reality, it will be hard to argue with the result.

But as Maggie wrote, "Poverty, Inc." is a reality. Lenbert, and each of us have to weigh the reality versus the possibility of an unlikely positive outcome.
    Informative response.

I get most perspectives on this, and am conflicted myself on several. You can hate on Lenbert all you want, yet his heart that he shows these folks cannot be contested.

User Info Menu

"The real tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations". Adam Smith. I see Rob's point of view, by providing for the poor without empowering them to provide for themselves takes away their ability to ever be able to care for themselves. Yet Lenbert's heart is too big to see it go unnoticed. Education is the only tried and true method of ending poverty and to that end musical instruments may spark aspirations so I see value in that method. Perhaps Lenbert needs help with the educational aspect of this problem, and perhaps it is time for him to become political and approach local government as an advocate for this change. Just to provide for those living in poverty is a daily solution and a long term disaster. We all love those people and worry for their children, it will be a long road without the grass roots movement from the government.

User Info Menu

Another excellent organization with whom to leave donations is the Negril Rotary. I had the pleasure of attending one of their meetings in July (Negril Escape, 6:30 on Thursday evenings). This group does amazing things, including funding scholarships for those 18+ who can swim and read - advanced lifeguard training - which can lead to a rewarding career on an island such as Jamaica. I was amazed at the number of people who attended and are a regular part of the Rotary, and by the wide array of programs supported and funded - for Jamaicans. Please consider donating to this group. They know the ins and outs of donations and the best repository for them. http://7020.org/clubInfo/negril

User Info Menu

That settles it. Next time I take the One Love Bus (again), I will give extra money to Lenbert, over and above his normal "tip", to let him be my "organization" that I donate to so he can support the kids as he sees fit. I love his idea of donating musical instruments, but USD's fit better in my suitcase than a saxophone, so I will just make a cash donation instead!

I think Lenbert's heart is in the right place.

User Info Menu

I commented on this situation a couple weeks ago with my brief trip report. I will continue to defer to those with boots on the ground. I said previously I donate through reputable Negril Charities and will continue to do so. While I understand what Lenbert is doing and as Rob stated Lenbert sees the results it provides and that is clearly good enough for him. Like other complex issues there likely isn't a right or a wrong and its based on perspective. I do feel that the brief self gratification we get as tourists for directly donating is eventually overcome by the furthering behaviors that ultimately are negative to the greater good.

We cruise about three times and were initially suprised last year when the Ochi port ranked near the bottom of Carnival Cruises customer satisfaction ratings and was in the top three on the chop block. Similar reports surfaced recently with the Falmouth report althought they were a bit more muddy. We had heard from passengers on three different cruise lines talk negativley about Jamaica due to the aggressive begging culture. We hate that these folks miss the inner beauty of the country and the people all because of a brief experience. But I do beleive we as tourists have also added to that culture with our well intentioned, but albeit misguided donations.

As I said, I am simply a tourist and won't be so arrogant as to suggest I have the answer. I will defer to those on the ground whose opinions I respect and will continue to donate through organizations. I am now especially intrigued by the Negril Rotary, I will look furhter into that as well!

One Love!