Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mo bay to Portland then Portland to negril

User Info Menu

Mo bay to Portland then Portland to negril

I will post this also on the Portland site. We want to see Portland but don't want to commit to the whole trip so tentative plan is to go mo bay to Portland and then Portland to negril. Anyone attempted this before?
    Any ideas of the cost?
    Thank you,

User Info Menu

Re: Mo bay to Portland then Portland to negril

how many weeks are you planning on spending in jamaica?

are you committed to flying in to montego bay? could you revise your plans to fly into kingston and fly out of mobay?

how do you want to travel from town to town- bus? private taxi? route taxi?

User Info Menu

I can't say I've attempted this yet but if you can wait a little bit I can probably offer some insight in a couple of weeks when we return from Jamaica.

We are flying into Kingston, renting a car and driving to Port Antonio for 3 nights before driving to negril for 6 nights then driving back to MoBay and returning from there. The cost of the car rental from Island Car Rentals is $300US for 10 days. My CC includes rental car insurance in Jamaica so I don't have to pay $14US/day for CDW coverage that I wouldn't otherwise be without.

I looked into taking the Knutsford Express (which we have used before and would recommend) but the schedule was very limiting to PA. Would arrive in Kingston at noon, have to make our way to the bus terminal and wait until 5:30pm departure to PA via Ochi and would have arrived at 9:30pm - a very long day of travelling. I'm not positive but think if you go MB -> PA you end up on the same bus out of Ochi. The return Knutsford bus out of PA leaves at 6am. I didn't want to have to set an alarm on vacation...

The Kingston->PA trip is ~100km and I figure will take this first time driver in Jamaica ~3 hrs. The trip from PA to Negril is ~300km and is 5 1/2hrs according to Google Maps. As it's basically another full day of travel in the midst of our vacation we are looking at this as an 'excursion' and an opportunity to see a part of Jamaica we haven't seen before (the PA->Ochi part). The road from Ochi to MB is excellent and a straightforward drive much like the highways at home. You can also download use google maps to download offline maps of Jamaica and put your phone in airplane mode and use the GPS functionality without requiring cellular/data.

I have read a lot online about the pros and cons of driving in Jamaica. It's not for everyone. After our last visit in 2014 I regretted we hadn't rented a car so I didn't give it a second thought for this trip. You can of course arrange private transfers to get you from place to place and not worry about driving but this would have cost much more and we wouldn't have the flexibility of a car in PA to get around to the various places we wanted to check out.

Hope that helps,
    BS
    https://www.TickerFactory.com/

https://www.TickerFactory.com/

User Info Menu

Great info buffalo soldier I will pm you so I can contact you next month .
    We are planning on say 4 nights in Portland and 8 in negril
    Would do a private taxi if we do net rent a car
    Not crazy about flying in Kingston cause it adds a stop in Miami for us rather than direct from Charlotte but would consider if it made things that much easier.

User Info Menu

We flew TimAir from MoBay to Port Antonio and then from PA to Negril. We then took a car back to MoBay. You can check with TimAir for rates but the service was awesome and the views were breathtaking, seriously jaw-dropping. You will have a new appreciation for the beauty and potential of Jamaica after you fly it from end to end.

User Info Menu

driving from kingston to port antonio takes about 2 hours.

driving from mobay takes about 4 hours.

i personally would fly into kingston and hire a driver or take knutsford express to port antonio.

then same thing from port antonio to negril (hire a driver or take the bus).

then fly out of montego bay.

12 days is definitely enough to do both places, but you also might want to consider breaking up the 6 hour drive from port antonio to negril. i remember we stayed the night in ochi the one time i drove from negril to port antonio.

Quote Originally Posted by original spanky View Post
    Great info buffalo soldier I will pm you so I can contact you next month.
    We are planning on say 4 nights in Portland and 8 in negril
    Would do a private taxi if we do net rent a car
    Not crazy about flying in Kingston cause it adds a stop in Miami for us rather than direct from Charlotte but would consider if it made things that much easier.

User Info Menu

Admire the ppl who rent cars. Nothing like the freedom of your own car. Can't get lost��

User Info Menu

what was the cost for the various timair flights and how long does each one take

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rastaron View Post
    what was the cost for the various timair flights and how long does each one take
    I am not sure about the cost but you can get that here:
    http://www.timair.net/rates-domestic...rters-jamaica/

It is not cheap but worth it (as far as I am concerned) at least for the PA to Negril leg - that takes around 1 hour wheels up to down. MBJ to PA takes around 45 min.

User Info Menu

Portland to Negril. Us $1,200.00 one way
    Portland to Montero bay. US $980.00 one way
    Montero bay to Portland US $1,960.00 total round trip
    this is from air link .
    i think tim air is similar