Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Takin' the Newbies along Part 2 - a trip report

User Info Menu

Takin' the Newbies along Part 2 - a trip report

Well...we've been back for a couple days and I finally got my pictures uploaded and I'm ready to write my report. Hopefully, y'all find some enjoyment from the pictures and stories. So here I go...

As you might have read, we have been fighting some colds and bloody nose issues with my husband. The night we before we left, there were a few moments where we were unsure if we would be able to go. He woke up with a bloody nose at 10:30 and again at 12: 30 (we had to get up at 2:30 anyways to get ready for the taxi). However, we just stayed up because his nose was bleeding terribly at 12:30. Finally, it slowed down and we decided we'd give it a go.

You know how you are SO excited to leave? This year was different because we were both very concerned about his nose. I realize that sounds silly to some, but blood thinners and bloody noses just don't mix. So I was bouncing between - OMG WE ARE FINALLY LEAVING and OMG MAKE THIS STOP!

Anyway - taxi arrives on time - friends are here - and we're off. Brian dealt with the residual nose issue for the remainder of the day - however, it never got really bad again. Our concern was the cabin pressure in the plane - but alas, it was fine.

Flight left on time and we landed early in Atlanta. Found our gate and oh look - Blue Moon right across from the gate. Beer. It's what's for breakfast on vacation, evidently! Plane left on time again from Atlanta. (Side note: This has NEVER happened for us to have both planes leave on time!) Checking in at the gate - the gate agent reprints boarding passes for us. Brian questions it and he says - if you don't want them? We looked - bumped up to comfort plus on Delta. Uh...nope - we're fine!

Brian is an aisle seat guy - which means I never get a window seat. Our new seats were roomy and there were only two. Window seat for me. Tons of leg room. Aisle for him. Good stuff!

Name:  IMG_3290.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  85.0 KB

We flew directly over Cuba - something I am not sure we have done before...because I never am in the window seat! haha On our approach to Montego Bay - we are landing 25 minutes early. WOOHOO! Brian's nose is a bit better - but I can tell he isn't feeling well. Hopefully - the sun, sea, and humidity will help him feel better.

Name:  IMG_3298.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3301.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  91.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3302.jpg
Views: 1909
Size:  88.2 KB

[/url]

User Info Menu

Re: Takin' the Newbies along Part 2 - a trip report

Looking forward to more, Jenn!
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

Landed in MoBay and met by the Club MoBay rep. The airport wasn't super busy, but there was a long enough line that I was glad we could bypass. Got through immigration and customs with luggage in hand in about 10 minutes. Got to the lounge and first rum punch of the trip. Another rum punch for the road and out to meet Tulla. We book through NegrilOneStop and Tulla was our driver last year. Off we go - head to the cambio to change some money and in to HiLo to grab some supplies for the road. Tom and I do the money and shopping. Last year, Amy was sick on the way down and Brian stayed with her in the van while Tom and I did the money and shopping. LOL I hope next year is NOT my turn being sick! Stopped at another shop in Lucea for some beers and back on the road. Had a Red Stripe Light Lemon. Um, that's interesting...very juice like - not beer like. I don't think it's my favorite. Finally - we arrived at Rooms.

We go in to check in and the girl at the desk said she had bad news. Now, having been to Negril many times, my first thought was that we are going to get bumped to another hotel. Amy's first thought was that our room wasn't ready. I suppose that's the difference in the experience. Neither was the case. They upgraded our rooms to ocean view. NICE! This means we have a fridge (finally - we always request, but never get one) and the sound of the ocean all the time! I was glad to have the room, but these rooms do not have balconys and we REALLY missed not having one. Oh well - I am certainly not complaining!

Dropped our bags - and headed down to say hello to Kelvin at the bar. Then over to Sunnyside to say hello to Robert. I was the first to put my feet in the water. Last year, Brian beat me to the water...so I had to be sure I got there first this year!

Decided we were starving and headed down to Alfreds for fish and chips. YUM! As we were finishing dinner, Brian started not to feel well again. At this point, we'd been up for 18 hours and in addition to not feeling well - we were exhausted. We needed to leave - so we headed back to the hotel and went to bed. At 6:30. We went to bed. This is not how we planned it. But, we clearly needed the sleep. Woke up at 5 the next morning and he was feeling significantly better!

Typically - we land in MoBay and I'm already in vacay mode. The tension of my reality is gone...this start was completely different. For the first time, it took me a couple days. However, it was more because I was worried about Brian. One full day in - and I had nothing more to worry about. Let the fun begin!

[/url]

User Info Menu

Great report Jenn. Glad Brian was feeling better too. Now you were able to fully relax, enjoy and forget everything for a while.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Great start,hoping you share more!

User Info Menu

sounds like you were at Rooms . is that correct?

User Info Menu

YES! Looking forward to more please!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by original spanky View Post
    sounds like you were at Rooms . is that correct?
    Post #3
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

Yep, Spanky. Rooms is where we were...and always go.

[/url]

User Info Menu

Day 1 in Negril:
    I am not counting yesterday as the first day because we were in bed so early! So...up at 5. I have to unpack and get organized. This makes me settle in and relax. That done, we head down to find some chairs and have breakfast at the hotel. If you have stayed at Rooms before, you know it is a simple continental breakfast that has changed over the years. It used to be they brought it to you, as of last year, there is a line to get fruit, boiled egg, yogurt, pastries. You can also get toast and cereal, juices, coffee, tea, and water. If that doesn't work, you can order a breakfast. However, I usually just get the continental as it's enough to get my day started.

Down to the beach for a picture perfect day. Walked over and hung out with Maureen for a bit. We spent the day in our chairs, the sea, at Sunnyside - repeat. Over the years, we have had varying degrees of "sand gravity." Brian referred to it today as "sand paste". Well, that stuck (haha) and we now will refer to it only as that.

For dinner we decided to head to Canoe. My God I love it there. Kirby's rum punch is always a favorite! And we sure did our part to put a dent in the stock. Jerk wings for the girls and jerk shrimp for the guys. DELISH! Misha and Christina were working. Christina was new to us and she is wonderful! Hung out at Canoe and listened to the Overtakers (awesome!) Headed back to Rooms and hung out with Kelvin at the bar. We made plans to go the Jungle the next night - along with another Brian we met, Kelvin and his friend. Closed the bar at Rooms and headed over to Sunnyside for...one more. Somehow this turned into a taste of Campari. Can I just take a moment to discuss this? Who drinks this stuff?! AND WHY?! I would rather drink cough syrup but I digress. This then became a shot of magnum and red bull. I think the same people drink this. as the Campari. Blech. Somehow though - this wasn't the last time for this nonsense.

While we were sitting there - back to my regular rum punch - a couple walk over. The guy looks at Amy and says, "are you Jen? I saw your picture on Negril.com" I just cracked up. She was so confused because I had posted pictures of our last trip - and normally - I'm in less of them because I'm taking them! This got a good laugh from everyone and earned me my first nickname of the week. So Doug - if you are lurking here - and I am pretty confident you are! - this is me calling you out. Register, get a screen name and write a report!

After a bit more - we headed back and off to bed. Up after 6 am the next day - unheard of for me. I'm always up by 5 ish. Let's just say that the next day was a little rough for me. We had planned to go out to Calico Jacks - but I wasn't in any shape for that. I took zero pictures so far. This will change tomorrow. Stay tuned....

[/url]