Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Water

User Info Menu

Re: Water

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Marko,

I am laughing at your "by far the worst its ever been" comment. And I hadn't even thought about the construction years. There were months if not years without water. Yes, those years were much worse than today's situation.

Before the mains were put in, the make shift water "system" were small pipes being gravity fed from large tanks on the surrounding hills.

If and when there was any pressure in the line (4am was the most likely time), the water was generally discolored and not suitable for much of anything.

Tank systems were only used by the hotels as most people couldn't afford them or the expensive water truck to fill them with remotely clean water.

Catching rain water was the best choice back then and you hauled​ it around a bucket at a time. I took more bucket showers than I want to remember.

Today, in the worst case scenario, you can call any number of competing services to fill your tank. That is if the main doesn't fill it at night.

Today is in no way "the worst its ever been". Not even close...
    actually as far as this guy goes and our lane.....which mi been on since 1996......this is the absolute worst.....trust mi

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

I get it, we get it. You don't want us tourists sucking up YOUR resources. Your life would be so much better without us. New hotels and housing projects... complaints, complaints, complaints. Garbage, sidewalks, horses... complaints, complaints, complaints. Perhaps you should contemplate moving back to your country of origin and leave the vital resources for the Jamaicans who can't leave. Or you could complain to your local government and leave the steady economical stream of tourists alone.

User Info Menu

I've always had the understanding that Jamaica didn't beg me to move here...I've been given the opportunity and privilege to live here for the last 10 years and I don't feel I have the right to beatch about the runnings...Jamaicans are quite capable of handling their complaints/issues.

Not to pick on Marko's complaints as of late...but there is something called Island Fever and it can get under your skin quite quickly...it sends many packing back to their "country of origin".
    One of the issues...too many forget this ain't their old home...not everything or anything is going to be done the same way as you've been taught. You can think you know the runnings in Jamaica, you can think you know the language after visiting for years but the reality of your knowledge or lack of knowledge becomes very apparent once you move here FULL time.

Second issue...many that move here expect the same treatment that is given to a tourist and obviously that doesn't and shouldn't happen. If one chooses to move here, you need to understand that you're now part of the environment, you are no longer a tourist.
    Particularly in the tourism areas...you are now expected to get by on your own. As I was told countless times by very generous and patient Jamaican friends...you make Jamaica what you want it to be and it will treat you accordingly.

Marko...since you've announced you've recently moved here full time...maybe you can reach out to the politicians instead of airing your complaints on a tourism related forum...it's obviously not helping tourism based on the comment above.

To anyone thinking of moving to Negril...please remember after you move here you become a member of the community and the tourism industry. You will no longer be viewed as a tourist and will no longer be treated as such...you WILL need to change your thinking and your approach to the different issues that may arise.

I'm no expert or claim to be by any means...but hopefully there is some understanding in my very simple writings that may help someone that is thinking of making the move here.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 05-05-2017 at 09:53 AM.

User Info Menu

I don't know, I don't think it's a bad thing to discuss on a tourism forum. It helps people see the impact of their choice to stay at the big glitzy AI's, and their impact on the infrastructure and the residents. I think Jamaica as a whole would be much better off without the international hotel chains locking down the coastline. Granted, I'm an ignorant tourist, but that's my perception anyhow.

edit: I'm certainly open to correction/education. Just stating it as I see it.
    Last edited by TAH; 05-05-2017 at 11:19 AM.

User Info Menu

You can start off by moving to someplace on the island that doesn't have piped water PERIOD.
    My water supply.
    Name:  109.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  94.4 KB
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    I don't know, I don't think it's a bad thing to discuss on a tourism forum. It helps people see the impact of their choice to stay at the big glitzy AI's, and their impact on the infrastructure and the residents. I think Jamaica as a whole would be much better off without the international hotel chains locking down the coastline. Granted, I'm an ignorant tourist, but that's my perception anyhow.
    TAH,

This topic is quickly becoming more of a "Living In Jamaica" thread, which I will be moving it to later today. It really doesn't effect tourists as most properties have already taken this into account. It should not alter their travel plans to Negril. This is a matter that can only be addressed by the Jamaican government.

That being said, there is always a trade-off with foreign investment. But Jamaica would be in a far worse economic position should the international hotel chains stop investing in our island.

The infrastructure of Jamaica is one of a developing country. Water supply is no exception. For Negril, if the afternoon rain continues, the issue will become moot. In the short term, a new water plant at Roaring River will solve the issue. An island wide fix can be obtained by using the Rio Bueno water supply. Future fixes include desalination plants, which would help prevent the inevitable world wide water shortages that our grandchildren will be facing.

The immediate solution to Marko's problem is to call one of the many water trucks and fill up the tank in his yard. You have to pay for water whether it comes from the main or from a truck. Addressing an easily fixed situation on Negril.com as the "worst ever" is not beneficial to the community he has chosen to live, especially when it is not true.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    You can start off by moving to someplace on the island that doesn't have piped water PERIOD.
    My water supply.
    Name:  109.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  94.4 KB
    Ugh! I remember that... (grin)
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I can't understand the success of the entire AI industry. You don't meet any Jamaican's, you don't eat locally, visit this sweet culture and people. You may as well be in Florida. And forgive me all you AI people, but the food outside the resorts kicks the crap out of what your eating. I was staying at the point when they were destroying the land to build the new resort where the Grand Pineapple used to be, "somehow" they convinced local authorities to let them go 4 stories instead of the legally adopted 3 stories. Now there is no view of bloody bay from the point, and now how do they say no to everyone else who can afford to "ask" to build 4 stories? Growth is always a struggle, but the government in Jamaica really needs to start protecting Jamaican's. And where does the money go that is spent in the AI's? certainly not to the Jamaican's.

User Info Menu

Hi Irine,

You are treading in a controversial topic as although your questions are justifiable the answers are perhaps not. Do a little research and see who owns the AI's and you will see where the money goes that is spent in the AI's. As they say "Follow the money".

User Info Menu

I may be wrong, but I thought the Beaches resorts are owned by a Jamaican family.