Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flight prices

User Info Menu

Re: Flight prices

Quote Originally Posted by N5_ View Post
    the only non-stop flights from Dallas are on American and the coach fares for our dates have been around $700 - $900 the past couple of years. Like Booger, we've been doing first class for $100-$200 more per ticket. Back in the mid-to-late 90's I could get $99 r/t non-stop from Dallas on charter flights but sadly they pulled out of DFW long ago.
    I've heard about the glory days of charter flights, but have never seen one out of Philly. Flew a charter to Cancun in the late 90's out of Newark, that was basically packed with spring break partyers. I guess post 9/11 has changed the economy for charters and airline competition. Apple Vacations used to have it's own airline called USA 3000, that provided no-frills flights to Caribbean destinations. Also, as recently as a year ago, Frontier had low-cost flights from PHL to MBJ. For some reason, they cancelled that route this year. Coincidentally, that is when AA's fares skyrocketed (i.e. no more competition).

User Info Menu

It is easy to jump up and down and claim airline greed, but here is a little tid bit for all. I just recently booked my return ticket home. Westjet and Air Canada were of no help. Cheep to fly down down but triple the charge to fly home because...well you have to fly home and they know it. Any way, booked with Delta, (didn't want to book with United as I bruise easily) $167 went for the actual airline but $133 went to fees, $98.30 for fee's on the Jamaica side alone, just to leave their country. $29.40 for Jamaica passenger and security fee, OK, I can see that, but $46.60 Jamaica travel tax. $6.60 Jamaica stamp fee. What the hell is that!! You have to pay now for the ink they use to stamp your passport now. Ya the airlines are trying to make a buck but too many others have their hand in the pot and it's kinda getting ridiculous. And now we are going to have to pay even more. One of the planes I'm flying on is a Bombardier RJ and the Bombardier CEO needs his 7 million dollar/year pay check so the fee's have now where to go but up.

User Info Menu

A couple of years ago I was looking into airfares to various destinations during my kids spring vacation week.
    It was way more expensive to fly from Boston to Cancun than it was from Boston to Istanbul (where we eventually went)....go figure.

User Info Menu

I refuse to pay outrageous prices for a trip to Jamaica. I have in the past and will continue in the future to try new destinations if airfare seems unreasonable. Spent 9 days last month in the Yucatan with my son (ruins, caving, cenotes, culture etc.) because R\T air from Philly was $308.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rjonsun View Post
    I refuse to pay outrageous prices for a trip to Jamaica. I have in the past and will continue in the future to try new destinations if airfare seems unreasonable. Spent 9 days last month in the Yucatan with my son (ruins, caving, cenotes, culture etc.) because R\T air from Philly was $308.
    Regards,
    Bob
    Agree Getting a little silly from Chicago. It was a nice run but there are other travel destinations.

User Info Menu

I booked tickets as soon as fares were released for Jan 2018 and got flights,on Delta, from our local airport with one stop at MSP for $500 each. Now they are $700-800. $500 is what I paid on SW out of Milwaukee in Jan 2017. Yes, we will have to pay for luggage now but have a 30min drive instead of 4 hours and hotel stay. Still come out ahead.

User Info Menu

I've been going to Jamaica After THanksgiving the last 5 years and I've noticed a huge bump. I paid under $2000 to fly me, my daughters and grandson down late last year. This year, I got my tickets in early March from AA via priceline.com and the best I could find was $620 for my usual Blackfriday trip, returning 10 days later on sunday. The only real deals are if you want to fly mid week now it seems. The airlines are just about greed now.... especially when you consider their fuel costs the last couple of years have been relatively cheap....

Last edited by ukran1ans; 04-19-2017 at 11:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Blessed to live in Florida. Drive 90 minutes to Ft. Lauderdale from Gulf Coast. Tickets a couple weeks in advance round trip can be had for under $200 sometimes Spirit or JetBlue (Spirit usually cheaper). I like to plan but sister does pack and go! Our March trip was about 240 RT about 2 weeks advance. April trip was under 300 one way 2 people Ft Lauderdale to Kingston and 500+ total one way 2 people from Mobay to Ft Lauderdale. We booked on a Friday to leave next day (sister's last minute let's go!). We flew JetBlue both ways

User Info Menu

After the gentleman got roughed up on United I bought my tickets out of Duluth MN return for 485 a person. Unheard of in the 8 years I've been travelling to Jamaica. Usually have to shuttle to Minneapolis stay over night then shuttle back when we return which always at 2am in the morning, awful. But this year we jump in a cab a couple hours before take off and same coming home. Live 7 minutes from the airport so it will be delightful! Stop in Chicago both ways but no biggy.

User Info Menu

Last Tuesday morning Delta had tickets for $440 pp out of Nashville. I didn't buy then because I was running late for work. I have been kicking myself ever since. Prices are now back in the mid $600 range. I am going to keep hoping prices drop again soon.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*