Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flight prices

User Info Menu

Re: Flight prices

When American took over for USair, leaving Philly with essentially one option, I think it was funny that they had the gall to say that the consolidation would lower prices.

We did get a decent price on tickets this year, paying a little less than $3000 RT for the two of us (I'm a big guy, can't take flying in coach, so I cough up the extra for 1st). we bought for our November trip in February this year, and the couple of times I've checked since then, the prices keep rising.

User Info Menu

We are moving to Florida at the end of August, for this very reason...cheaper airfare and last minute trips!! Airfare is also cheaper to other places my roommate and I travel often...California is just too far from where we like to be....

On average 1st class from SFO is $1000 to $1500 return....and door to door 18 or more hours depending on connections....sooo tired of it and did my last SFO-MIA-MBJ a few days ago and will do the return early August....then the move!!!!

The most I ever paid for coach was $2900 one way (Copa Airlines)....I was in the middle of no where and it took 4 planes, 6 stops and 36 hours....never again!
    "mud cyaan seckle widout wata"...some people are essential to the wellbeing of others

User Info Menu

I am also a planner and we prefer to fly via Delta, so I have been watching. Last Tuesday, I got a fare alert from Expedia (I set them at several sites for $50 dollar change in price) and purchased the same tickets that were on Delta for 400 bucks cheaper. After I booked them, I was directed to Delta to choose our seats and enter our Frequent flyer numbers. I have never seen that happen before, but glad that it did!! That was for December flights and I was happy with the price, thatis my standard and I won't check prices again.

User Info Menu

gregandkelly63 - I have spoken with several people in the travel industry and they have all told me the same thing. Airlines don't open a new plane for booking until the one currently open fills up. When they open a new flight they want to sell the first 50% of the seats fast so they can insure profitability and a shot at another full plane. After 50% of the seats are full the prices continue to rise until the last ticket is gone. The flight you saw at $440 was probably just opened that day, and the first half of the plane won't last long. The only hint that a new flight will open soon is when you're online looking at flights and the red print comes up stating "just 7 seats left" or 5 or 3. What that means is another flight will open soon and you need to check multiple times a day. It's a pain in the butt but it usually pays off if you're patient. The only thing about the entire system that bugs me is that every time I'm on a plane I know someone paid twice as much as me, or less than I did!!! Good luck.
    Last edited by Irine; 06-19-2017 at 10:25 AM.

User Info Menu

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hussyband View Post
    When American took over for USair, leaving Philly with essentially one option, I think it was funny that they had the gall to say that the consolidation would lower prices.
    Hussyband, I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but I have been saying this as well. The lack of competition in Philly is what's causing airfare to be higher than that from other cities that are further away (higher than Canada, even). I wish Southwest would come in and operate some flights. I would even take Frontier, who ran some direct flights for 1 peak season then backed out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    Hussyband, I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but I have been saying this as well. The lack of competition in Philly is what's causing airfare to be higher than that from other cities that are further away (higher than Canada, even). I wish Southwest would come in and operate some flights. I would even take Frontier, who ran some direct flights for 1 peak season then backed out.
    I think back to the days of Air Jamaica, $750 RT for the two of us, and the ability to upgrade to 1st for $50.

User Info Menu

Charlotte is the same way as Philly,not enough competition so prices are sky high!!

User Info Menu

gl on your ove , the wife and I oved from northern michigan to southwest florida almost 2 years ago but have not been back to negril since then but are thinking about doing an off season trip ther in july. Have not ckecked airfare yet but its got to be cheaper than it was to get from michigan to Negril

User Info Menu

My wife and i have been seeing the same things out of Baltimore, we have flown SW/AirTran every year for the last 5 years, the price for 2 RT 3 years ago over NYE was 840ish USD, this year that price has increased to 1470. We decided to book a package Flight and Hotel through Cheap tickets, we ended up getting flight and hotel for a little more than the flight only through SW.

It kinda scared us to use the an online site out of Spain, thus far im not hacked........
    '01 Perseverance Resort. '03 Perseverance Resort/ Ben Harver House. '12 Samsara.'13 Samsara.'14 Samsara.'15/'16 Xtabi.'17 Xtabi.'18 Xtabi.'19Xtabi