Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: July 2-8

User Info Menu

July 2-8

Heading to Negril the first week of July. Should I expect many great places to be closed due to it being "off season?" Hoping Boat Bar will be hosting some great live music - we're staying next door. My travel companion is a musician and he's hoping to do some jamming...

Oh, and is Rasta Ralphie still around? This picture was from my last trip to JA in '08. On the catamaran.

Name:  1111.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  42.7 KB
    Last edited by Jewelbeemon; 05-18-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Added Rasta Ralphie photo

User Info Menu

Re: July 2-8

Welcome aboard Jewelbeemon!

During the slow season some places do close, but you certainly won't starve or be bored. Most Jamaican owned places will stay open all summer. Unfortunately, I believe Boat Bar is one of those places that does close (or they at least stop the live music). However, you will still find live music at Drifters, Bourbon Beach, Alfred's and Roots Bamboo. On the cliffs, Sea Star will still have their Saturday night show and I'm sure there are few places I am missing. Of course, there are also the wandering beach musicians who would be happy to jam with your companion.

I am mostly a cliff dweller (and have been to Negril in June and August), but I know for sure places like Connie's Country/Western Pub, Pablo's, Shark's, Sips & Bites and 3 Dives will definitely be open. Also the restaurants in the resorts like Catcha (Ivan's), Tensing Pen and Rockhouse (Pushcart too) will be open. Same for the beach - any restaurant associated with a hotel will be open (Charela, Coco la Palm, Treehouse, etc.).

It's too bad you are leaving on July 8th. There is an event happening at Negril Escape called Roots, Rock & Culture, that has the potential to be pretty awesome:
    http://negrilevents.com/event/roots-rock-culture/

User Info Menu

MikeD is correct...Boat Bar won't have music...Drifters should still have music and Seastar stops their Saturday evening shows for the summer/low season months.
    Just before you leave for your trip...you can check Negril.com home page and the entertainment page for upcoming events....when you get here to Negril, just ask around or check the signs in town to see what's happening musically.

You'll be happy to hear...we saw Rasta Ralphie the other day and we were happily commenting on how good he looked!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    MikeD is correct...Boat Bar won't have music...Drifters should still have music and Seastar stops their Saturday evening shows for the summer/low season months.
    Just before you leave for your trip...you can check Negril.com home page and the entertainment page for upcoming events....when you get here to Negril, just ask around or check the signs in town to see what's happening musically.

You'll be happy to hear...we saw Rasta Ralphie the other day and we were happily commenting on how good he looked!!
    Hi Lisa,

When I've visited in Sept and Nov in the past, I've found the schedule for live music on Negril.com to be inaccurate during the week during the off season . I've showed up at places and no band was to be found and was usually told that there might be one during the weekend. So I'd comment that most of the live music is usually only available on the weekends during the offseason...

Last edited by ukran1ans; 05-19-2017 at 10:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Ukran1ans...that's why I said to ask around when they get here.
    While Negril.com tries to get current info...sometimes events get cancelled completely and you only find out just before or after the fact and sometimes a regularly scheduled show gets cancelled for just the one evening at the last minute. If anyone has visited here before...unfortunately, we know that this is not unusual.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Ukran1ans...that's why I said to ask around when they get here.
    While Negril.com tries to get current info...sometimes events get cancelled completely and you only find out just before or after the fact and sometimes a regularly scheduled show gets cancelled for just the one evening at the last minute. If anyone has visited here before...unfortunately, we know that this is not unusual.
    Fair enough, btw.. I hope to run into you guys when down there in a few days... where are you guys hanging out these days?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    Fair enough, btw.. I hope to run into you guys when down there in a few days... where are you guys hanging out these days?
    Hey great...hope to see you around! When I'm back from Kingston...we've been hitting up Dru's, Sunnyside, Sunbeach, Cosmo's, Red Dragon, Canoe...hmmm, I guess pretty much everywhere...lol. Cya soon!

User Info Menu

We arrive July 2 thru 10. May check out the Negril Escape Party, we will be as Samsara that weekend.

User Info Menu

Thank you, everyone, for the valuable information. I'll be visiting all the suggested places for food and music! Plus a visit to Thunder for the week's coffee supply, and some to take home, too. Can't wait to feel that fine sand between my toes.

Rasta Ralphie going strong - good to hear!

User Info Menu

July is a nice time of year in Negril......weather really nice with very few showers as you get closer to August....
    you can go snorkeling any day you want and any time you want as the wata normally very calm especially compared to the Winter....
    yea some places closed but more so on the Cliffs......most things these days are open year round on da beach/beach road.....
    on da cliffs Ricks Cafe, Three Dives, Pablo's, No Limit Bar, PeWees, Seaview are all open.....the Hungry Lion is not open

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20