Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Photos of Negril before digital

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Photos of Negril before digital

A few pics from the filming of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea in the early 50's with Kirk Douglas...
    Name:  5696_118995032005_7947483_n.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  5696_118995042005_7028865_n (1).jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  5696_118995027005_4155833_n.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  35.8 KB
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Great Pics Rob!!

Many years ago I met an older Negril gentleman who lived on the beach for many years close to where Kirk Douglas is standing in the first pic. His Name was Lazarus Reynolds who told me that when they were filming the movie 20,000 Leagues under the Sea that the movie production team had a big yacht anchored off Negril Beach and every night they would ferry groups of local Negril girls by small boat to the yacht for wild parties, Lazarus words not mine.

Anybody out there who was in Negril during that time frame??

Administrator

User Info Menu

Johng,

The movie was filmed 63 years ago. The only way to get to Negril was by boat, which explains the ship Lazarus mentions.

I don't think there is much chance that any tourists, had they been watching the filming, will be posting here. They would probably be in their 80's now...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    ukran1ans, Glad you enjoy my pics. Are you headed to Negril tomorrow as your ticker indicates? Have a safe and fun trip!!

Does anybody remember the guy who ran Rick's back in the 70's. He was a white guy from New Jersey sort of a big guy, had a big motorcycle parked right by the entrance. Rick's at the time was a hit but way smaller than the subsequent building over the years. Whatever the owner / operator's name was I remember him as a nice guy. I used to always talk MC's with him. Anybody remember him??
    I think you are referring to Carl Newman.

User Info Menu

Rob, Yes you are correct. I guess the only person / people that remember back that far would be a local Negril resident with a very good memory. When did the road to Negril (passable by car) get built??

BCBud, You are right his name was Carl (I never knew his last name) he used to sit at a table right as you entered Rick's from the parking area. He used to wear black wrap around sun glasses. It was always fun to see him every year when I went back to Negril.

Back then there were good sized crowds at Rick's for sunset but the establishment itself was sort of small. I understand that Rick's suffered through several Hurricanes before the big build.

Name:  Negril Lighthouse.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  39.1 KBName:  Negril Sunset.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  92.0 KBName:  The Wharf.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  89.3 KBName:  White Sand Beach.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  31.4 KB[/ATTACH]Name:  Sea Grape View.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  26.2 KB

Administrator

User Info Menu

Johng,

The original road to Negril, referred to as the "old road" was constructed in '59 - '60. Before that, the only way to Negril was by boat or the ferry. Even that boy with the "Eat at Joe's" painted on his face would be in his mid to late 70's by now.

And as I stated previously, the big build at Rick's happened in the mid 2000's after Ivan, Rita and Wilma mashed the place. The page links I posted from '96 shows Rick's as still being small with visitors actually sitting on the cliff face watching our famous sunsets!

User Info Menu

For the history buffs, a good book is “The Story of Westmoreland, a Jamaican Parish” written by Marguerite R. Curtin published in 2010. The book was sponsored by the Jamaican Natiional Building Society Foundation. The author has written several books about Jamaica, including “The Story of Hanover, a Jamaican Parish” published in 2007; and she was awarded the Order of Distinction (“OD”) by the Govt of Jamaica in 2009.

I bought my copy at a bookstore in SavLaMar about six years ago for $2000 JA. The book has a lot of information, is well organized from chapter 1 “Taino Times” to chapter 21 “Negril Emerges”, and includes lots of old photo’s, illustrations and maps. I expect you can also find a copy to read at the public library in Sav and the one in Negril. I plan to donate my copy to one of the libraries the next time I get back to Jamaica. Some of the hotels in Negril may also have copies (in the author’s acknowledgements, she notes having interviewed Ray Arthurs (owner of Arthurs Golden Sunset), Daniel & Sylvie Grizzle (Charela Inn), the Moo Young family (White Sands), the late Mrs Elethia Thompson (Bar B Barn) and others.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Great Pics Rob!!

Many years ago I met an older Negril gentleman who lived on the beach for many years close to where Kirk Douglas is standing in the first pic. His Name was Lazarus Reynolds who told me that when they were filming the movie 20,000 Leagues under the Sea that the movie production team had a big yacht anchored off Negril Beach and every night they would ferry groups of local Negril girls by small boat to the yacht for wild parties, Lazarus words not mine.

Anybody out there who was in Negril during that time frame??

Johng - there are still several Negril born and raised oldtimers who would probably remember those times, such as Ronnie Arthurs (Daddy Ronnie), Ray Arthurs (Golden Sunset), Ossie Donaldson (Ossies Jerk Centre & Donaldson Inn), Daniel Grizzle (Charela); all of whom are likely in their mid to late 70's ... I'm now in my early 70's and I think they are a few years older than me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BCBud View Post
    Johng - there are still several Negril born and raised oldtimers who would probably remember those times, such as Ronnie Arthurs (Daddy Ronnie), Ray Arthurs (Golden Sunset), Ossie Donaldson (Ossies Jerk Centre & Donaldson Inn), Daniel Grizzle (Charela); all of whom are likely in their mid to late 70's ... I'm now in my early 70's and I think they are a few years older than me.
    I think that Lazarus Reynolds would be would be Joy Reynolds (Mama Flo's and the Fisherman's Club before that) grandfather on her father's side.

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Thanks everybody!! Rob, BCBud, Cap, your news, insight are much appreciated.

BCBud when did you first visit Negril??

Cap I met Mr. Reynolds in probably 1978 and he at that time seemed to be in his late 80's maybe in his 90's. A very nice and friendly man who was more than happy to talk about the history of Negril. Do you know when Sandy Park (Frome Retreat) was constructed?? I remember in 1975 it was still in pretty good condition but was starting to look abandoned until it seemed to fall apart. What a nice piece of real estate that was!!