Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Photos of Negril before digital

User Info Menu

Re: Photos of Negril before digital

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Thanks everybody!! Rob, BCBud, Cap, your news, insight are much appreciated.

BCBud when did you first visit Negril??

Cap I met Mr. Reynolds in probably 1978 and he at that time seemed to be in his late 80's maybe in his 90's. A very nice and friendly man who was more than happy to talk about the history of Negril. Do you know when Sandy Park (Frome Retreat) was constructed?? I remember in 1975 it was still in pretty good condition but was starting to look abandoned until it seemed to fall apart. What a nice piece of real estate that was!!
    In the late 60s and early 70s it was well used. I was working for W&N so I spent a few nights there.

It those walls could talk........

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Thanks everybody!! Rob, BCBud, Cap, your news, insight are much appreciated.

BCBud when did you first visit Negril??

Cap I met Mr. Reynolds in probably 1978 and he at that time seemed to be in his late 80's maybe in his 90's. A very nice and friendly man who was more than happy to talk about the history of Negril. Do you know when Sandy Park (Frome Retreat) was constructed?? I remember in 1975 it was still in pretty good condition but was starting to look abandoned until it seemed to fall apart. What a nice piece of real estate that was!!
    Johng,

DEFINITELY read the History of Westmoreland. It's​ a great read, and I have​ talked with many who were interviewed for the book.

You will love it!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rob Thanks!! Yes I will definitely look out for it.

Hey Cap, forget about the walls I trust your memory, HAHAHA!!

Name:  Miss Gloria's Beach 1977.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  38.0 KBName:  Negril Villas.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  73.7 KBName:  Lazy Day.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  94.3 KBName:  Hubert.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  92.0 KBName:  Irie Beach.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  93.2 KB

User Info Menu

I really enjoy the old photos. I'm curious what brought some of you to Negril in the 70'? I wish I would have discovered it sooner. Been coming to Jamaica off an on since 98'.

User Info Menu

OMG you brought back such good memories of the '70's. The quiet beach, the wharf club and i even see the Villas hotel. We stayed there in 79 when we came back to Negril with our 1 yr old daughter instead of staying in Red Ground. I can see the balcony we sat on.

User Info Menu

Yeffers, I can only speak for myself but what brought me to Negril in 1975 was an awesome beach, great weather and a very inexpensive vacation. I either stayed with a family, pitched a tent or rented a small room I made it on about $10USD a day. In comparison Fort Lauderdale and Key West were totally overcrowded and expensive. Negril was still somewhat of a secret and along with being inexpensive everybody going there knew that Ganja was available and lots less of a hassle than the US so combined with cheap airfare from NYC it was a no brainer.

JaHowards, glad my photos invoked an OMG moment for you. The Villa's Negril was one of the best spots and deals in Negril. Close enough to walk to the beach but the pool was killer. Rooms had AC and functional bathrooms with hot water, comfortable beds. Brimsley Hall was second to none as a bartender, always a good act on Saturday nights and a Manager's Cocktail Party (Happy Hour) with free food and drinks. I think the room rate as a solo was in 1977 about $50USD maybe less so I could do a week in a tent and then splurge for a couple of nights at the Villa's.

Name:  View from the Villa's.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  92.8 KBName:  Villa's Privite Bar.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  50.9 KBName:  Brimsley at the Villa's.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  37.9 KB

User Info Menu

Very sad to learn of the passing of Sylvie Grizzle. I met her decades ago when she and her husband bought Mirage and built Charela. Apparently she became an important environmental activist for Negril. What a tremendous loss for her family and the Negril community. R.I.P Sylvie Grizzle. Name:  9FB32472-8E67-43F8-BDEE-10E38C063E5A-2635-000001B1A7283E10.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  7.7 KB
    Sylvie Grizzle at Mirage (late 1970s/early 1980s)

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing the photo of Sylvie Grizzle...our hearts are broken for the Grizzle family.

User Info Menu

Wow, great pictures! Thanks so much for sharing. I was busy being born in the late 70's, so I didn't make it to Negril until 2005. Would have loved to have seen it like this. I fell in love with the Belmont/Bluefields area a few years ago, probably because they still kinda look like the Jamaica in these pictures. Really cool to see.

User Info Menu

Name:  Sands Sign.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  54.3 KB
    Last edited by captaind; 07-06-2017 at 08:45 AM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave