Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Cheapest way to send money from the states

User Info Menu

Cheapest way to send money from the states

Hello, I typically send anywhere from 50 to 100. Western union is 11. Anyone use a realiable vender that is less? Thank you

User Info Menu

Re: Cheapest way to send money from the states

Do you send regularly?

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

about once a month

User Info Menu

IDK, could you preload a debit card and then add money to it regularly? AAA had a card that worked worldwide, but had transaction and other fees. IDK if that would be cheaper or not. Perhaps easier?

Just something perhaps worth looking into.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

This a bit complicated but it works for us.

I have two bank accounts with Schwab. A debit card on one account for drawing cash and one for funding the draw account.

I can instantly transfer money between the accounts on the website. I move whatever amount we need from the funding to drawing account just before the ATM withdrawal. I leave 5.00 in that account to keep it open but if the debit card is compromised (2 times so far after 6 years) there's nothing to get.

No fees on the Schwab end and no bank fee at NCB ATMs. Exchange rate is within JA pennies of the published rate at the time of withdraw.

I do have other accounts with Schwab so I'm not sure if you could do this plan "stand alone"

Cap
    Last edited by captaind; 06-12-2017 at 06:31 AM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post

I have two bank accounts with Schwab. A debit card on one account for drawing cash and one for funding the draw account.

I can instantly transfer money between the accounts on the website. I move whatever amount we need from the funding to drawing account just before the ATM withdrawal. I leave 5.00 in that account to keep it open but if the debit card is compromised (2 times so far after 6 years) there's nothing to get.

No fees on the Schwab end and no bank fee at NCB ATMs. Exchange rate is within JA pennies of the published rate at the time of withdraw.

I do have other accounts with Schwab so I'm not sure if you could do this plan "stand alone"

Cap
    Hi David.

I do pretty much the same thing with my bank account and a PayPal card. In fact, since I trust my best friend Marshall, I can even leave him a card when I am not on the island. I do the same when I transfer just slightly more than I need to withdraw and then, after withdrawing that amount, immediately transfer a replacement amount that takes about 5-7 business days to complete the transfer. That way it leaves about the same amount on the card almost all the time.

See you later this year.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Xoom is 7.99 if the money is coming direct from your bank account. Xoom also uses Paypal now. The Schwab scenario is great, if the on-island person is comfortable using ATMs.

User Info Menu

Moneygram

User Info Menu

it's getting harder and harder for Jamaicans to received the monies you send......
    now they will often call the North American sender to verify the transaction......
    this is to prevent fraudulent activity which in part as to do with the scamming etc. that has gone on......

MoneyGram now offers only a $4.99 transaction fee for sending $50US and under....

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post

Cap
    Schwab also refunds any transaction fees that are charged.