Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last Minute Worries/Local Guide?

User Info Menu

Last Minute Worries/Local Guide?

Hello all, due to come to Negril soon for the first time (solo female) with my child and I may have done a little TOO much research. I've scared myself half to death by first stumbling across some incidents that happened awhile ago in Negril and then doing further digging. I was ready to get on the phone and cancel the whole thing but I had several friends talk me down who have been before.

FWIW, I too am from a resort town and the crime is through the roof. Just today there were car break ins mid day at the Walmart parking lot. 2 murders last weekend. My best friend had gun shots outside of her house last night. Per capita, my town is more dangerous than Baltimore City (who had 6 murders last weekend). Frequent shootings and knife fights when the bars let out at 2 am. I'd never walk down the main drag drunk at 2 am. I have made out okay (knock on wood) because I am sensible and safe. I am aware of all of the precautions frequently given around these boards, and I'm never out late anyway.

That said, I am looking for a local guide/driver for when the several activities I have planned around Negril away from the resort. I have zero concerns about staying on property, security is said to be top notch. However, I didn't really want to be confined to the resort. I'm aware of all of the companies who provide airport transfers and large tours. I was hoping to find someone who will accompany us to dinner/activities out. This may seem extreme to some but at this point I think it'd make me feel a lot better. Unfortunately I dont think trip insurance covers canceling out of fear LOL. I'd love to hear any recommendations from anyone who "knows a guy."

A couple random questions re: safety warnings:

-Ladies, if you are traveling solo, where do you carry your cash? Everything I've said says to NOT carry a purse. But if I'm in a dress or suit? Where else? Bra? That could be awkward digging cash out of your bra at dinner at Ivan's lol.

-It has also said not to flash cell phones. Will it be okay to use it while sitting in the lounger of my resort?

Thanks again for anyone who's taken the time to read my long winded post. Even some small reassurances would be most welcome right now.

User Info Menu

Re: Last Minute Worries/Local Guide?

I'm sure Rob and Lisa can steer you in the right direction.

I'd recommend Linston but we're working on Zion Hill this month.

You'll get good help here.

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Use the same common sense precautions that you use at home and you will be fine! Your property can easily arrange a safe/reputable ride for you and you may even hook up with some other guests and that will make you feel better when going out. I walk all over the Negril area alone during the day and have never had any problem or felt unsafe. I use a cross body purse and only take as much cash as I plan to use. You will probably find the hustlers to be more annoying than scary - let's face it, I am VERY sure that I am not the most woman they have ever seen. Fluffy and almost 60

Once you hit that lounger, sand gravity may take over and you will be out and about less than you think you will be Relax and enjoy yourself - I can't wait until December comes again!
    Quote Originally Posted by beachgal5 View Post
    Hello all, due to come to Negril soon for the first time (solo female) with my child and I may have done a little TOO much research. I've scared myself half to death by first stumbling across some incidents that happened awhile ago in Negril and then doing further digging. I was ready to get on the phone and cancel the whole thing but I had several friends talk me down who have been before.

FWIW, I too am from a resort town and the crime is through the roof. Just today there were car break ins mid day at the Walmart parking lot. 2 murders last weekend. My best friend had gun shots outside of her house last night. Per capita, my town is more dangerous than Baltimore City (who had 6 murders last weekend). Frequent shootings and knife fights when the bars let out at 2 am. I'd never walk down the main drag drunk at 2 am. I have made out okay (knock on wood) because I am sensible and safe. I am aware of all of the precautions frequently given around these boards, and I'm never out late anyway.

That said, I am looking for a local guide/driver for when the several activities I have planned around Negril away from the resort. I have zero concerns about staying on property, security is said to be top notch. However, I didn't really want to be confined to the resort. I'm aware of all of the companies who provide airport transfers and large tours. I was hoping to find someone who will accompany us to dinner/activities out. This may seem extreme to some but at this point I think it'd make me feel a lot better. Unfortunately I dont think trip insurance covers canceling out of fear LOL. I'd love to hear any recommendations from anyone who "knows a guy."

A couple random questions re: safety warnings:

-Ladies, if you are traveling solo, where do you carry your cash? Everything I've said says to NOT carry a purse. But if I'm in a dress or suit? Where else? Bra? That could be awkward digging cash out of your bra at dinner at Ivan's lol.

-It has also said not to flash cell phones. Will it be okay to use it while sitting in the lounger of my resort?

Thanks again for anyone who's taken the time to read my long winded post. Even some small reassurances would be most welcome right now.

User Info Menu

Hey Beachgal5...welcome to the board!

You'll be just fine...there's nothing unusual about asking someone to accommodate you around town or on activities etc...it's quite common.
    Your best bet would be to hire one of the tour drivers/guides from Negril.com, http://negril.com/transport/, as they've been vetted by the staff, the many boardies of Negril.com and Rob and I (Lisa) know them all personally. Though, I wouldn't really worry about hiring any legal red plated taxi, unless you're stepping out of the regular beach or West End locations or moving around quite a bit at night.

The hotel and bar staff at properties in Negril are quite protective of their guests...if hustlers are bothering you, a "no thanks" will generally stop them...but if they continue, please don't hesitate to let a staff member know you are being bothered...they will put a quick stop to it for you.

As far as carrying your money...I carry a purse here all the time, but many women do carry their money in their bra (called a granny purse here ) or you can easily carry a crossbody purse (get one with thick straps) or the infamous and now popular again, fanny pack. You can use your phone with no problem as most are aware phones are locked up and traceable...but just like anything don't leave your phone lying around for anyone to take.

Based on the information you've provided...I think you're going to have an absolutely fabulous time...you seem aware, inquisitive and ready to explore!! EnJoY!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Hey Beachgal5...welcome to the board!

You'll be just fine...there's nothing unusual about asking someone to accommodate you around town or on activities etc...it's quite common.
    Your best bet would be to hire one of the tour drivers/guides from Negril.com, http://negril.com/transport/, as they've been vetted by the staff, the many boardies of Negril.com and Rob and I (Lisa) know them all personally. Though, I wouldn't really worry about hiring any legal red plated taxi, unless you're stepping out of the regular beach or West End locations or moving around quite a bit at night.

The hotel and bar staff at properties in Negril are quite protective of their guests...if hustlers are bothering you, a "no thanks" will generally stop them...but if they continue, please don't hesitate to let a staff member know you are being bothered...they will put a quick stop to it for you.

As far as carrying your money...I carry a purse here all the time, but many women do carry their money in their bra (called a granny purse here ) or you can easily carry a crossbody purse (get one with thick straps) or the infamous and now popular again, fanny pack. You can use your phone with no problem as most are aware phones are locked up and traceable...but just like anything don't leave your phone lying around for anyone to take.

Based on the information you've provided...I think you're going to have an absolutely fabulous time...you seem aware, inquisitive and ready to explore!! EnJoY!
    I've found the taxi drivers around Negril to be very honest folks.. nearly all willing to make a deal in advance for a fair price if you ask them to guide you around on several stops and maybe wait or have a number to come get you when ready.. Now, Mobay taxi's a whole different story

User Info Menu

You will be fine. We had a bad incident four years back, and I keep returning. Just be aware, use a reputable driver, and use the same common sense you have at home. There are many, many, many visitors each year, and very few incidents. While this is on no way an informed statistic, I would say you are more likely to have an issue at home than in Jamaica. Lots of the places you'll go to at night will pick you up and take you home with their own drivers, and for extra insurance, use one of the many that post here on the board.

User Info Menu

As others said, you will be fine. Although it is not uncommon to have a driver accompany you to dinner, I will say that basically all restaurants in Negril are safe for single women and children. You may opt to just have a driver drop you off and then pick you up when finished. That will save you a few bucks for having the driver wait for you and purchasing him a meal, if he wants.

On that note, I will recommend Michael's On-Time Taxi, who posts on this message board. Michael provides personal service and his rates are very fair.

User Info Menu

Please relax. Crime against tourists is very rare. Negril is no more dangerous than most beach resort areas on the east coast of Florida. I feel the need to be more cautious visiting Miami Beach or Hollywood Beach than I do in Negril. Which is not to say I'm be fearful in either of those places. I just avoid unpopulated areas after dark.

User Info Menu

Thank you, I do appreciate everyone's comments. It is just unsettling to see reputable drivers talking about how fearful they are in Negril. While my resort town does bring crime (actually here the tourists bring the crime, not the locals) I am not afraid here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beachgal5 View Post
    Thank you, I do appreciate everyone's comments. It is just unsettling to see reputable drivers talking about how fearful they are in Negril. While my resort town does bring crime (actually here the tourists bring the crime, not the locals) I am not afraid here.
    Beachgal...where did a driver on Negril.com say he was fearful in Negril? I must have missed that.