Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Should tourist give to children that beg

User Info Menu

Should tourist give to children that beg

Instead of just adding on to the Shantytown thread, I thought I would post this on a fresh thread. I hope all will read and gain a better understanding the ramafications ''random money and gift giving '' can cause. Although there are numerous studies on this subject, I felt this article covered it well !

https://uncorneredmarket.com/should-...-kids-who-beg/

User Info Menu

Re: Should tourist give to children that beg

Excellent article!!!

If you feel you must give then give to a recognized charity, church or synagogue etc..., or perhaps to an individual who comes recommended at organizing the distribution of items to those most needy.

The absolute worst thing you can do is give out money or gifts willy nilly to strangers. You may feel like you are giving a person a temporary lift but you are detrimentally affecting a culture.
    Last edited by halfwaytree; 07-26-2017 at 12:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Great article. That settles it. Next time, I will take the One Love Bus (again), I will go to Shanty Town if the tour goes there. But regardless, I will give extra money to Lenbert, over and above his normal "tip", to let him be my "organization" that I donate to so he can support the kids as he sees fit. I love his idea of donating musical instruments, but USD's fit better in my suitcase than a saxophone, so I will just make a cash donation instead!

I think Lenbert's heart is in the right place.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting the link. I read it and passed it on. Similar message as the movie Poverty Inc.

User Info Menu

good reading.....wish all travelers would not give to the children here...
    and wish all parents or mom or baby father here wouldn't let their children beg.....
    but it's been going on way before mi ever reached Jamaica....and it will continue......no way around it unfortunately

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Last year, one of our neighbors down by the road (Miss Cherri) pickney begged Miss G.

Mama come out the house and give the child one lick and scold him "no fe beg"

We bring things for the local kids but they never beg, It's different in the hills.

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

giving kids that beg money doesn't solve any of the problems, just promotes the action of begging.
    i'm ok to buy box food if the kid is hungry, but no mooney.

User Info Menu

It's easy for me to say I won't give money to kids as I sit here at my desk in the states.

When I'm there though, it's very hard for me. We were dirt poor when I was a kid, and I know what it's like to be hungry. I'm one of those people that knows better, but still will give a child money if they ask. Thankfully, I think I've only seen kids begging a handful of times... the ones down near Tensing never beg (well, so far as I have seen), and their parents keep them pretty close to home it seems.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hussyband View Post
    It's easy for me to say I won't give money to kids as I sit here at my desk in the states.

When I'm there though, it's very hard for me. We were dirt poor when I was a kid, and I know what it's like to be hungry. I'm one of those people that knows better, but still will give a child money if they ask. Thankfully, I think I've only seen kids begging a handful of times... the ones down near Tensing never beg (well, so far as I have seen), and their parents keep them pretty close to home it seems.
    Well said. I cannot stand here and take a global position, as each situation defines the response. Until U have gone without, you will never understand. My position is to try and take a broader approach, and I'll likely still come up short. St. Anthony's resonates well with me, and please appreciate this is coming from a non-believer. Father Jim and his team sling tons of love around the community.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hussyband View Post

Handing them cash reinforces the begging culture. When you give directly to them, because of how you feel, doesn't make it a good thing. If anything, doing it because of how you feel is actually a bit misguided, and in the long run does more harm than good.

Donate through the commonly suggested resources that have been repeatedly mentioned. That's the way for your money to do the most good for the most people.
    Last edited by HarryS; 08-04-2017 at 09:48 PM.