Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another July .....

User Info Menu

Another July .....

I returned a couple of weeks ago from another wonderful trip to Negril. I lost count but its close to 15 different visits. Obviously, I'm a big fan and love everything about it. I always stay local, non-AI at Coral Seas Garden and it is a wonderful place -- great location, nice room, pool, people! I get out at night and always visit Bourbon Beach, Roots, Alfreds, and Jungle. I love to eat/drink at 3 Dives, Best of the West, Qualitys, Canoe, Sir D's, Chicken Lavish, Seastar, Sweet Spice, Sweet Spot, Drifters, Mama Flo's, Tony's Hut, Corner Bar, and a few others.

One HUGE disappointment was an early afternoon experience on the cliffs. After swimming at Seastar for a bit, we decided to ride my rented scooter around the corner to Out of Town Pastry for a patty or two. After exiting the lane, I was stopped by a police road block. I slowly pulled to the side and cut off my machine. Now, I am good friends with many Jamaican families and had a 22 year old young woman on the back of my scooter who wanted Coco bread. I didn't think anything of it. Well, I spent the next 45 minutes being harassed by 6 Jamaican officers. Where is your license, your scooter is out of registration, etc. They tried to intimidate me into paying off a fine right there but I just ignored them and waited patiently. I rented --like I always do - from JahB's. I handed them the paperwork from under my seat and said call him. His nephew rode up the cliffs and attempted to sort it out. I took his scooter back down to the beach -- forget the patty trip and just head to the beautiful beach - wasted almost an hour! A couple of disappointing sidebars. On at least 8 different occasions, renegade motorcycles flew by going well over 50 mph. All they did was get out of the way-No attempt at all! Probably most disturbing was the looks, vulgar comments, and harassment that the young lady with me had to endure. The language and flat out sexual descriptions that they bombarded her with was incredible. She ignored them and resisted their strong animal-like advances but it was ridiculous! Their continual comments were way out of line and obscene.

User Info Menu

Re: Another July .....

i have had a couple bad experiences with the local police. glad you stood up to them.

User Info Menu

It’s great that you had a great time but unfortunate you came across the police roadblock….

these days they are trying to show a presence on the West End…..and around town
    but their training in dealing with the public is evidently very lacking….especially with tourist
    not very tourist friendly to piss off the tourist so easily and use vulgar comments….

I too have a problem with the police…the white man/white boy comments are unnecessary….
    and you got to stand your ground with them or it will cost you money….
    cops asking for money so dem can buy a beer should be a no no and it has to stop

if they are to continue these road blocks they need to have a police motorcycle or two with them….
    it’s not productive without them as the motorcycle guys speed up and whiz right pass dem….
    wi have a lot of motorcycle police riding around Negril these days….so they should be put in place…
    mi see them motorcycle police go up and down mi lane at least four times a day now….

there was a somewhat of a crackdown on bikes when the Canadian was murdered by Kaisers…..
    but there are still way too many speeding motorcycles flying down the roads these days….
    mi have come close to getting clipped by these maniacs too many times to count……
    mi have been told that a large portion of the bikes on the road in Negril aren’t even registered….ugh

just one of the many things that need correcting here……and so it goes…….

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

We got stopped in July as well. Our experience was fortunately different, they just made us put on our helmets and let us go.

User Info Menu

I got stopped for a document check on the beach road on Saturday, The officer was polite and professional. My papers are in order so after a short friendly chat. I was on my way. No problem

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Beachballer. Maybe there was more to it than meets the eye. Not judging you AT ALL, but maybe something else was going on that you didn't or couldn't know about??

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    I got stopped for a document check on the beach road on Saturday, The officer was polite and professional. My papers are in order so after a short friendly chat. I was on my way. No problem

Cap
    Yup...same here.
    I've been stopped many times in my 10+ years of living here (only mentioning the length of time to understand the possible number of stops) ...I've never had any issues...and in a couple of cases I appreciated the stop as they were looking out for me.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 08-15-2017 at 10:45 AM.

User Info Menu

what about their advances was "animal-like"????

I am sure they were BLACK MEN,
    but what made you described their actions as Animal like????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, Beachballer. Maybe there was more to it than meets the eye. Not judging you AT ALL, but maybe something else was going on that you didn't or couldn't know about??
    No worries...but absolutely nothing going on from my end, just a tourist going to buy a patty??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markospoon View Post
    what about their advances was "animal-like"????

I am sure they were BLACK MEN,
    but what made you described their actions as Animal like????
    Well.... would love to tell you exactly but not the place. Lets just say .... talking about her body, private areas, and what they want to do to her.

Shocked that they kept on when they had a female officer with them as well. Not right anywhere!

User Info Menu

That sounds like a human being.
    I never heard an animal talk that way or any way before.
    Last edited by Markospoon; 08-15-2017 at 02:47 PM.