Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Route Taxi Fares

User Info Menu

Re: Route Taxi Fares

Quote Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
    I just say "route taxi?" when I get in. If they say yes or nod their head then you can assume it is.
    It is that easy. However, from the West End to Hilo I just usually offer 500J for the wife and I, and tell the driver to pick up folks along the way. I pay 3-4 times that back home, so it is still a deal in my eyes.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMoose View Post
    I was told that if you discuss the fare ahead of time you are negotiating and are not longer getting the route fare. Rob/Lisa, want to confirm/deny this? Up

In Mike's case, it should be a route taxi fare as it was a shared ride imo. What's the proper way to handle what happened to Mike if it happens to someone else?

It may not help Mike, but it may help someone else! Thanks!

~Moose
    If you discuss the fare ahead of time, then by definition you are negotiating.

Asking "route taxi?" is perfect because there is no mention of money, simply what kind of taxi the driver intends to be in this situation.

As for Mike's situation, he could have argued his case and even waited for the police to show up. The law would be on his side. The driver would have to had a "Charter" sign in the front window.

But being on vacation, how much is your valued vacation time worth?

As I have stated more times than I am able to remember, the local route taxi system was designed for locals and not with visitors in mind.

This is exactly the reason that the Tourism Transport Associations (JUTA, JCal, Maxi, etc.) were created in the first place.

You are on vacation. Enjoy all of it and don't sweat the small stuff. Please feel free to take any of the licensed and legal drivers in our Transport section. We know them all personally.

Most if not all offer free cellphone use so you can call them from wherever you are and let them know where you want to go. If they are unavailable, ask if they can get a driver for you.

As a side note, with the new transport regulations coming up, if you are caught in an illegal taxi, you will be guilty of the crime of aiding and abetting the illegal driver.

Always use legal taxis.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    If you discuss the fare ahead of time, then by definition you are negotiating.

Asking "route taxi?" is perfect because there is no mention of money, simply what kind of taxi the driver intends to be in this situation.

As for Mike's situation, he could have argued his case and even waited for the police to show up. The law would be on his side. The driver would have to had a "Charter" sign in the front window.

But being on vacation, how much is your valued vacation time worth?

As I have stated more times than I am able to remember, the local route taxi system was designed for locals and not with visitors in mind.

This is exactly the reason that the Tourism Transport Associations (JUTA, JCal, Maxi, etc.) were created in the first place.

You are on vacation. Enjoy all of it and don't sweat the small stuff. Please feel free to take any of the licensed and legal drivers in our Transport section. We know them all personally.

Most if not all offer free cellphone use so you can call them from wherever you are and let them know where you want to go. If they are unavailable, ask if they can get a driver for you.

As a side note, with the new transport regulations coming up, if you are caught in an illegal taxi, you will be guilty of the crime of aiding and abetting the illegal driver.

Always use legal taxis.
    Any questions folks?

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

When Linston picks us up Thursday, I'll discuss a few arrangements for our trip. I know sand gravity well, but we will certainly be hitting the cliffs for each of our birthdays, and maybe a day trip. Last thing I need is stress over a few bucks, especially on our vacation! 36 hour to go...really anxious now!

User Info Menu

When do the new regulations go into play, Rob? Since our incident a few years back, I'm taxi-shy, and only take charters, but it's always been surprising to me just how many private cars stop and ask us if we need a ride when walking.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hussyband View Post
    When do the new regulations go into play, Rob? Since our incident a few years back, I'm taxi-shy, and only take charters, but it's always been surprising to me just how many private cars stop and ask us if we need a ride when walking.
    It will be sometime later this year. There are something like 250 amendments to be added to the Bill.

User Info Menu

It will be sometime later this year. There are something like 250 amendments to be added to the Bill.
    Did US politicians get involved in it? LMAO

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Moose,

It has more to do with changing the fines. When the laws we first written, the J$ was about par with the US$

A J$250 fine is not a deterrent to anything. Costs more to write the ticket. Most amendments are to once again make breaking traffic laws something to avoid...

User Info Menu

Moose,

It has more to do with changing the fines. When the laws we first written, the J$ was about par with the US$

A J$250 fine is not a deterrent to anything. Costs more to write the ticket. Most amendments are to once again make breaking traffic laws something to avoid...

I was more poking fun at our corrupt politicians. Good to hear that it will have some teeth to be more of a deterrent.

This is mostly aimed at the so called "robot taxis" (illegal white plate taxis)

Thanks,
    Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

Administrator

User Info Menu

The robot taxis are an issue, but this is the first major re-write of the traffic laws in years.

Cellphones, car tinting, cycle licensing/registration, speed limits and much more are being brought up to date.