Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soup

User Info Menu

Soup

Has anyone found decent substitutes for these guys? Like to make the spicy pumpkin shrimp soup at least once a month for the kids and occasionally for coworkers and I'm running out of supplies from the rock.

Name:  2b42a81f-9482-4355-a402-e251aa91e186_1_cf9a3504fe471a3a26c38a6c5b9bd867.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  44.1 KBName:  IDShot_540x540.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  56.1 KB

User Info Menu

Re: Soup

Irine
    I can get these in the supermarkets here in NY, or at least the Cock and other Grace products. I'm sure if I went to Utica Avenue in Brooklyn I can find anything due to the huge Jamaican community. If you can't find them I can send you a few packs to keep the kiddies well fed.

User Info Menu

I bought the industrial size (600g) bag of Cock Soup Mix at Quality Traders on West End Road for $644.93JMD last week, its the same as 12 of the 50g envelopes. Less than $5 US. You could just stock up on your next visit. I plan on doing that next time. I live in KY/Indiana and most of that kind of stuff is hard to get here.

User Info Menu

Irine, that sounds amazing!! Would you be willing to share your recipe?

User Info Menu

Let me print it out here when I have a bit of time over the weekend. A Jamaican friend of mine came to my condo at point village after bugging him for 2 years and finally showed me how to make it. It's easy and so so good! You will love it.

Stay tuned!!

User Info Menu

Hey Irine! How's everything going? Any update on the recipe? No rush. Just was thinking about trying a new recipe and thought of our convo. Thanks a ton!

User Info Menu

Try your local Walmart. Mine has a a small section of these Jamaican products, as well as others. Ting, crackers, festival mix, ginger beer, canned ackee, callaloo, mackarel, etc. also carries a line of the various bottled sauces.

User Info Menu

would like to see this recipe as well!

User Info Menu

OK here goes; so this soup was made for me by a friend in Jamaica after I bugged him for 2 years to show me. He made it quick an I followed and made notes and since then I have made it several times with great results.

Ingredients:

- 2 packets of spicy cock soup mix
    Name:  IDShot_540x540.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  32.3 KB
    - 2 packets of fish tea
    Name:  2b42a81f-9482-4355-a402-e251aa91e186_1_cf9a3504fe471a3a26c38a6c5b9bd867.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  26.0 KB
    - 2 packets of Maggi Season Up all purpose (20 grams) - can be bought in larger shaker style container or 10 gram packets.
    Name:  Maggi-Season-up-All-Purpose.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  43.5 KB
    - 2 packets of Maggi Season Up Fish Flavor (20 grams) - can be bought in larger shaker style container or 10 gram packets.
    Name:  Maggi-Season-up-Fish.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  43.4 KB
    - Either 1 large or 2 medium sized pumpkin squash. On the mainland if you can't find pumpkin squash just use Kabocha squash or the like, you want about 3-4 cups diced into 3/4 inch cubes.
    - 2 cho cho fruit. On the mainland they are called Chayote fruit. You can peel and dice them up in 1/2 cubes. The cho cho have a soft white pit you want to cut out.
    Name:  imagesJIWDWHKR.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  5.2 KB
    - 2 medium large white potatoes cubed in 3/4 inch pieces.
    - 2 carrots diced up into soup size pieces.
    - 2 leaks or green onions work also, crush them in your hands or under a knife and add them whole.
    - sprig of thyme
    Name:  155125920.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  24.2 KB
    - 2 scotch bonnet peppers or 2 habanero's left whole and not punctured.
    - 1 lb of medium uncooked shrimp (take the tails off). As my pic shows I have also used king crab or chicken chunks, however shrimp does seem to be the best.
    Name:  13096340_1119607021403274_6137508973520791732_n.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  79.8 KB
    - salt and pepper.

Preparation:

I use a big pot as I like to make a big batch as now my kids are hooked and I have to make it for them when I make it for me. So I start with a 5 or 6 quart pot of water.
    I add the soup mix, tea, seasoning, 1/2 the cho cho, 1/2 the pumpkin squash, 1/2 the potato, all the carrot, the 2 hot peppers, the sprig of thyme and the green onions all at once and bring it to a boil. I then set it low to simmer and when the squash, spuds and cho cho are soft (an hour or so) I add the rest of the squash, cho cho and potatoes left out of the first round. I do this because by the time the soup is ready the first batch added breaks down to mush but the second batch is a very nice texture for eating (like a cooked carrot texture). By the time the second batch softens up you can add the shrimp and they will be ready in about 15 or 20 minutes, put the shrimp in too soon and they turn to rubber.

This is where the variation can happen to taste. I find 2 peppers makes the lips tingle but isn't 5 alarm. Want more heat add another pepper, less heat take one out ( REMOVE THE PEPPERS BEFORE SERVING). Learned that lesson the hard way. Add more soup it up or fish it up or salt and pepper to taste. If you like thinner broth stop it as soon as it starts to thicken or it will be pea soup thick if you let it go. Just try to time your last squash fruit potato addition to allow it 45 minutes to soften up. Don't worry if it doesn't look like much for the first 1 1/2 hours, it will set up an be totally awesome.

You can half this recipe by using half the ingredients.

I'm not the best at writing recipes so by all means send me a question on any part of the process and I'll do my best.
    Last edited by Irine; 09-06-2017 at 11:33 AM.