Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jamaican Cell Question

User Info Menu

Re: Jamaican Cell Question

Surprised you can't access digicel in the US. My phone roams on the T Mobile network when at home. Maybe you live in an area with spotty T Mobile coverage (which isn't uncommon).

We'very had the same SIM since 2012. One time I went a year without topping it up. Still works. This past July I popped the SIM into an unlocked phone I bought on ebay. No problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican71 View Post
    I purchased a JA cell phone at Digicel 6 years ago. Ever since purchase, I've topped it off every few months to keep my number active and use every time when in JA. I loaned my phone to a friend and now my phone is completely damaged and not usable (glade plug in leaked all over it). My friend purchased an unlocked cell off of Ebay and my SIM card from my now damaged phone fits in the new unlocked phone.

Will the replacement phone work -- will all my credit and stored phone numbers automatically move to that phone? Will the new phone now have my old cell phone number? I am really trying to avoid a trip to Digicel so I hope my questions can be answered here.
    Last year, I spilled water on and ruined my J flip phone with the SIM having lots of credit on it. Linston took my old phone to Digicel and had the old SIM put in a new flip phone. Worked great for the rest of the trip!

Not only is Linston a good driver, he is a good guy to have in your corner!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMoose View Post
    Your cell number will definitely be attached to your sim; your contacts however may not be.

You can always turn the new phone on and check your contacts without it needing to be on the Digicel network.

~Moose
    DUH!!! Thanks for pointing this out b/c I really didn't even think about that- I think my mind has checked out. I just tried that and my contacts don't show up. I power up the new phone and it says Digicel so the SIM card must be working. I will have to be okay with losing the contacts but I don't want to lose my number or credits. It looks like I will be stopping by a digital store next week. My friend who damaged my phone also gave me some cash for a replacement phone so I will do that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    Surprised you can't access digicel in the US. My phone roams on the T Mobile network when at home. Maybe you live in an area with spotty T Mobile coverage (which isn't uncommon).

We'very had the same SIM since 2012. One time I went a year without topping it up. Still works. This past July I popped the SIM into an unlocked phone I bought on ebay. No problem.
    The original phone was purchased in Jamaica and I've never been able to use it in the states. I always got a no network message. This "new" unlocked phone also gave me the same message.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tahrheel View Post

Not only is Linston a good driver, he is a good guy to have in your corner!
    Thanks. Makes the old man proud!

Jamerican71:

If your phone is Android there is an option in your contact settings that allows you to display contacts from the SIM, the phone or both. Check that out as you may have contacts on the SIM that you are not seeing

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    Thanks. Makes the old man proud!

Jamerican71:

If your phone is Android there is an option in your contact settings that allows you to display contacts from the SIM, the phone or both. Check that out as you may have contacts on the SIM that you are not seeing

Cap
    It's not android

User Info Menu

Seems like alot of work to save a few bucks. I have Verizon that charges $10 a day when in jamaica to use all my same phone amenities that I have at home (unlimited text, talk and data). I know that $10/day of usage isn't cheap but by the time you go thru all the costs of getting a 'throw away cell', sim card and then paying for time of use (which is usually limited) it doesn't seem worth it.

Last edited by ukran1ans; 08-28-2017 at 09:52 AM.

User Info Menu

I have T-Mobile and use my Android phone in JA at no extra charge for data or text. Phone calls to anywhere are $.20 a minute. It's nice not having to top up my Jamaican phone every few months.

User Info Menu

What's the minimum you can top up from the website, app, or text to keep you number/sim active?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jame View Post
    What's the minimum you can top up from the website, app, or text to keep you number/sim active?
    Sometimes as low as $7 US, I usually hit it with $10.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.