Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jamaican Cell Question

User Info Menu

Re: Jamaican Cell Question

Having a JA cell has been no problem at all. I top it off every 2-3 months online with $5-$7 and I have credit as soon as I land -- sometimes you have to add credit to jump start it. I always have way to much credit and give it away to a few folks I know. I have loaned my phone to several friends and family who travel there but now not anymore. I'm heading down for a short trip this weekend and spending even 10 mins in a Digicel store was not on my agenda....it is now. Since the person who damaged my JA cell gave me way too much cash in addition to a phone purchased off Ebay, I will be going to Digicel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    Seems like alot of work to save a few bucks. I have Verizon that charges $10 a day when in jamaica to use all my same phone amenities that I have at home (unlimited text, talk and data). I know that $10/day of usage isn't cheap but by the time you go thru all the costs of getting a 'throw away cell', sim card and then paying for time of use (which is usually limited) it doesn't seem worth it.

It's not a throw a way cell since I use it on all my trips and friends and family use it. It's a cheap phone used for calls and texts and I'd rather not use my phone I use back home in Jamaica as that woul dbe a bigger pain to replace if lost, stolen or damaged. I paid $40 six years ago for the phone (nothing fancy at all) and I've never had a problem until now.

User Info Menu

Thanks Moose! Also in regards to just using Verizon. I got a brand new phone, sim, and enough credits for 20 days last January for less then $45. That's only a couple days on your plan and I still had over 850 credits left when we went home. Definitely worth getting a phone if there longer then 3-4 days.

User Info Menu

Last visit on the 2nd and 3rd week of August (14 days) I toped up twice for 20US each time using the app from my computer in the US.

I used 7 Gigs of data and virtually unlimited voice. Went back to the US with 1350JA still on the phone to kick star me in November

Very reasonable if you ask me. AND I watched the stream of the EAGLES preseason games!

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

I'm sure my old digicel is not worth bringing down, I bought it in 2014 or 15....didn't top-up. What is the best unlocked phone to purchase here and take down there. What is the cost of new sim and how much data should I get.

User Info Menu

Get a BLU Tank. 20 US on eBay.

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    Get a BLU Tank. 20 US on eBay.

Cap
    Is it a 'smart phone'?.....oh nevermind, I found them....
    Last edited by Yesihunt2; 08-30-2017 at 03:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yesihunt2 View Post
    Is it a 'smart phone'?.....oh nevermind, I found them....
    It ain't smart but it's tough. We use them as loaners for Linston's visitors.

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Back from Jamaica and my replacement phone worked just perfectly...except I lost all my contacts. As soon as I landed, I turned on the phone and made a call. I also did a fast balance check and all my credit was there. I didn't make it to Digicel on this reach but still plan to buy a new phone in December. Thanks all for your help!

User Info Menu

i bought my original ja phone in 2003 and it still works....just upgraded to a cheap unlocked smartphone from ebay to handle data. all the phone contacts on the sim came through and i added the #'s i needed. i've had the same # , convenient when phone # requested.