Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jamaican Cell Question

User Info Menu

Jamaican Cell Question

I purchased a JA cell phone at Digicel 6 years ago. Ever since purchase, I've topped it off every few months to keep my number active and use every time when in JA. I loaned my phone to a friend and now my phone is completely damaged and not usable (glade plug in leaked all over it). My friend purchased an unlocked cell off of Ebay and my SIM card from my now damaged phone fits in the new unlocked phone.

Will the replacement phone work -- will all my credit and stored phone numbers automatically move to that phone? Will the new phone now have my old cell phone number? I am really trying to avoid a trip to Digicel so I hope my questions can be answered here.

User Info Menu

Re: Jamaican Cell Question

My old Ja cell is getting replaced this year with a new unlocked one. I am assuming all will work. I took an iPhone 5 down last year but it was going to cost me more to get it unlocked down there than here so I passed and used the old one. I will pass on the old one to a friend there......

User Info Menu

yes a digicel sim will work in any unlocked phone

User Info Menu

May have to transfer the numbers over, not all phones store them on the SIM. Additionally, if you use the MyDigicell app, it will show you when your service would drop if not topped off.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican71 View Post
    Will the replacement phone work -- will all my credit and stored phone numbers automatically move to that phone? Will the new phone now have my old cell phone number? I am really trying to avoid a trip to Digicel so I hope my questions can be answered here.
    you didn't say when was the last time you topped up the phone........

Will the replacement phone work --
    Yes if the sim is still active....

will all my credit move to that phone?
    depends......usually they expire within so many days......

all my stored phone numbers automatically move to that phone?
    probably not.....depends if you stored them on your sim or not....

new Digicel sim is $588J....new Flow sim is $500J...easy enuff getting one...just make sure you have your passport and phone with you

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    depends......usually they expire within so many days......
    Credits expire? That's thievery! You pay for something and get nothing?

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMoose View Post
    Credits expire? That's thievery! You pay for something and get nothing?

~Moose

Much like software licensing you are not buying anything. You're paying for the right to use it under conditions defined by the user agreement.

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Ok I've run the question past Digicel and this is what they said:

"Prepaid vouchers give specific airtime. When the airtime expires, the remaining credits cannot be used until the number is reactivated.

You can view airtime for each top-up here: Check Digicel Airtime

You may also dial *124# to check your airtime to see when your credit will expire."

I then asked "But the credit just doesn't disappear, you just can't use it until you top-up, then the previous credit is still useable?"

"That's correct"

Hope this helps

~Moose
    Mi Irie

User Info Menu

I can't access the Digicel network while in the US. I last used my cell in December and I top off about every other month with my last top off last week. My now damaged phone always worked and that SIM is now in the unlocked phone

"May have to transfer the numbers over" I was trying to avoid a trip to Digicell so I won't know until I land if my number was stored on my SIM or not.

Thanks all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican71 View Post
    "May have to transfer the numbers over" I was trying to avoid a trip to Digicell so I won't know until I land if my number was stored on my SIM or not.

Thanks all.
    Your cell number will definitely be attached to your sim; your contacts however may not be.

You can always turn the new phone on and check your contacts without it needing to be on the Digicel network.

~Moose
    Mi Irie