Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ja wifi

User Info Menu

Ja wifi

Question for those on the rock.....
    we used to use an "internet box" from digicel to have wifi at the house.....a little bird told me today that those are not being used anymore.....if so, what is being used for home internet now?
    Thanks in advance

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Ja wifi

The old boxes are not being sold anymore, but they still work. They only sell the new boxes.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob.....see you after the storm leave Florida

User Info Menu

i have not been able to get a new box, they are always out. any suggestions Rob?

User Info Menu

It was an excruciatingly frustrating process to get our Digital WiFi box some years ago. Everyday their imminent arrival was thought to be going to happen. "Soon come" for the box was more painful than waiting for a meal order on a busy night. All those extra beers didn't help for that time frame! We quickly learned where all the free hot spots were and got well practiced in downloading reading material, but email and banking were problematic on public hot spots. We finally got it a few days before we left and have used it ever since. I council patience and perseverance.

Hopefully, the new boxes are faster, but there's plenty of life left in the old. Kind of like me! Respect --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Babalew View Post
    i have not been able to get a new box, they are always out. any suggestions Rob?
    Babalew...if you have a phone ...purchase a data plan from Digicel. Turn your phone into a hot spot for your computer etc as needed.
    You can add credit in small amounts or buy monthly plans.
    It's the only option Rob and I have for our home location...it's also desirable as we move around the island quite a bit...we've been using this set up for years now.

User Info Menu

bnewb....i've used the hotspot and it actually cost me more money than when i used the box. i found a ethernet connector so that i hopefully get a month worth of unlimited service.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Babalew View Post
    bnewb....i've used the hotspot and it actually cost me more money than when i used the box. i found a ethernet connector so that i hopefully get a month worth of unlimited service.
    Got you covered, see you soon!

User Info Menu

I have a phone with a flow SIM card and no Digicel sim for phone, but I have a small Digicel mifi box. Flow hotspot plan was more expensive than my Digicel box. The only way I used to could top off my small mifi box was plug it into a computer once I was in jamaica (it won't let u from USA) but the past few trips when I plug in the box it wouldn't work. I went to Digicel but they said they've been having trouble with internet and I couldn't top it up even if I got a Digicel phone. Rob, or anyone, do u know how I can get the Digicel mifi to work again?

Administrator

User Info Menu

OLOB,

I have not worked with a MiFi connection since about 2013. It is a real basic device, I would think it would still work. All it does is connect to Digicel data and allow connection. Last year a main tower went down and that might be the reason the local shop could not help.

I would go online at home, go to Digicel Jamaica and use their free chat to get your answer. If the unit needs to be replaced, they can arrange it for you.