Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have been to Negril 4x and am now giving Ocho Rios a whirl and need advice badly.

User Info Menu

I have been to Negril 4x and am now giving Ocho Rios a whirl and need advice badly.

Hi Boardies,
    Not much happening on the Ocho Rios portion of the board, so was hoping you could help me. Hubby and I have been to Montego Bay twice and Negril four times. We LOVE Negril, but decided this reach to see another side of the island.
    We plan on hiring a driver for a day.
    Dunns River Falls looks pretty awesome, but also looks like a big fat tourist trap. Worth it or no?
    Can anyone recommend a private JUTA driver for me to contact for the day?
    Where is a great place to get authentic Jerk Pork?
    Any recommendations are GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks for the help!!

User Info Menu

Scotchie's was great Jerk Pork over there as well as the Jerk Centre who trhows a big party once a month too. We took a day trip to 9 mile/Mystic Mt(zip-lining & bobsled) plus scotchies and it was a great day. Used Moodie as a driver and a great guy too.

User Info Menu

Joleen,

Haven't been in Ocho Rios since 2002, but it was a fun trip. Day Trips from that part of the island, Golden Eye Beach, Blue Mountains, 9 Mile, Glistening Waters....

IMHO Dunn's River is okay, not as nice as Mayfield Falls. The okay rating can deteriorate quickly depending on the number of cruise ships in port. Ideally it would be best to go on a day when there aren't any ships in port (don't know if that is possible anymore).

Did the Blue Mountain Bike tour and it was a FULL DAY, left before Breakfast and didn't get home until after dinner time, but it was definitely worth the trip. I'm sure weather can have a significant impact on your experience. When I did the bike trip it was cool and cloudy in the morning, but cleared up in the afternoon. There was some rain, but the tour operater had ponchos for everyone.

Glistening Waters was AWESOME. Again weather, phase of the moon, # of tourists can all have an impact on your experience. I actually did this trip from Negril, but it is closer to Ocho than to Negril.

Golden Eye was great if you are a James Bond Fan.

I flew from Mo Bay to Ocho back before the Highway was improved. The new Highway is awesome, don't think you need to pay the fare to fly to Ocho anymore.

Basically went on that trip to check out a few day tours on that part of the Island. Ocho Rios didn't have the same vibe that Negril had and we missed Negril, but had a good time on the Ocho Trip.

I'm sure others will have more...

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

Grab a cab & check out Flauvors in Runaway Bay ~~ excellent Jamaican food & inexpensive, too!

User Info Menu

I commend you in getting out of negril and checking out the rest of the island...Negril is NOt Jamaica-just a part of it...
    I just got back from North Coast-spent time in Cockpit country and Duncans Bay and up in Clarks Town...The beach and area in Duncans Bay were beautiful and the just a different,more relaxed vibe..I have a excellent hook-up in that area ,and no, they dont live in Ochi but live on the North coast and could maybe help you out-they also have a excellent guesthouse they rent out ..Send me a PM and I give you more info ...
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

Ochi is not my favorite place to go. I would say check out Treasure Beach Area. It is very quiet but nice
    A friend of mine is a Juta driver and he also works privately also. Delton Smith his number is 876-361-3752 You can also check out his web page DeltonSmithtransportaionand tours Enjoy where ever you decide to go

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Grab a cab & check out Flauvors in Runaway Bay ~~ excellent Jamaican food & inexpensive, too!
    <<Agree!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Not a fan of Ocho Rios but do like to hit the north coast at least once a year, Duncans Bay is a good place to check out. The Sc otchies just out side Ochi is a cool spot for some Jerk, and if you have not been to Dunn,s river falls its worth the trip. Also there is the Calypso tubing on the White river I have done that more than once and is always a good time

User Info Menu

My advce: Stay in Negril...Ochi is not "where it's at".

User Info Menu

Been to Negril 4 times and Mo Bay once. Our last reach we decided to try Ochie and were plesantly surprised. Stayed at Turtle Towers just across the street from the Islands Outpost mall so we were right in town. Yes Ochie is a cruise ship port and things can be crazy when ships are in but if you plan your excursions on a non ship day you will have the town almost to yourself. The one thing I really liked about Ochie compared to Negril is that there was virtually no hassle at all on Turtle Beach. Don't get me wrong Negril's beach is much nicer and bigger and I do know how to handle myself with vendors but there really was "no Problem, mon" on Turtle beach. Sorry to disagree with you Irie John but Negril is not always where it is at IMHO:.