Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: westender inn/living social

User Info Menu

westender inn/living social

Just found another deal through living social for the Westender Inn
    for 5 nights for 2, oceanside deluxe ,,,for 442.00... Fantastic rate for a great property
    Just bought the 4 nite deal for Sea Splash, for 349.00...You know what happens next,,,gotta purchase the Westender Inn
    deal and combine the two.. Nine nites for two for 791.00,,,,,,gotta love the deal and two great properties

The question is ::: Westender Inn, what are the taxes due at redemption and when does this deal expire? I know you have some blackout dates
    Can you provide some clarification?

Thanks
    Negrilbound

User Info Menu

The fine print says that the promotional value expires on Jan 15, 2013. Blackout dates, Dec 24-Jan 1st.

Don't know about taxes, but (as you know from purchasing) Sea Spashes deal taxes on the paid amount $349. Sandy Haven's Groupon taxes on the paid amount as well - both, Jamaica's standard tax, 20% (10% tax, 10% gratuity). Country Country's Groupon ended up charging 20% on the VALUE amount (not paid amount) - however, I noticed a lot of concerns on the Q & As at the end of the deal, and those posters were told to contact the hotel on a case by case basis.

There should be a set standard on what value the taxes are based on, and (I think) the vendor should be required to indicate what amount the purchaser will be taxed on, at the very least, in the fine print, before the deal goes public. Livingsocial doesn't provide a Q & A for people to inquire before purchasing, but they do provide a 30 day return policy, no questions asked.
    Last edited by Melody; 04-30-2012 at 06:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi Melody,
    I am assuming that it will be 20% on the paid amount of 442.00, as it is on Sea Splash
    That is my question as well!!!!! Also I am aware of the blackout dates, but not sure what
    " Paid Value expires April 30, 2017 "
    I am sure Westender Inn will clarify, as I cannot pass this up,,,,,lol

User Info Menu

Just saying
    hopefully everything works out for sellers and buyers

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Living_Social

User Info Menu

Paid value is $422. So if you don't use it before April 2017, you've lost your $422. The Jan 15, 2013 date is the expiry of the deal (50% off). After Jan 15th your voucher would only be good for the amount paid - $422 towards the regular price of your stay....up to April 2017.

As far as I know Westender Inn is a reputable business and I would expect them to honor your voucher in good faith. It would be important though to get something in writing from them verifying everything - and hold onto it. Just like I have no qualms with Jim's deal at Sea Splash. Hopefully, a Westender rep will respond to this thread to confirm everything.

I think most of the complaints with livingsocial deals involve businesses that are not reputable. I really doubt that these Negril hotels would jeopardize their reputations on here and other sites such as TA. And we all know that bad news travels fast on the Internet with sites like Negril.com. A hotel/business that doesn't recognize that, won't be in business long.
    Last edited by Melody; 04-30-2012 at 09:28 PM.

User Info Menu

The Westender Inn is indeed a reputable hotel and we will honor our obligations. In terms of taxes, the amount due for each livingsocial voucher is $77.35. This is really a cut to the bone deal to keep staff employed, pay JPS and hopefully gain some valuable marketing for the future. Please call 957-4991 or email westenderinn@yahoo.com if you have any additional questions.
    Last edited by Westender_Inn; 05-01-2012 at 02:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Re: westender inn/living social

Westender Inn,,,,,,,,lookout............
    The man from the " D " has pulled the trigger...........Again
    That be Detroit,,,folks
    Negril is never gonna be the same...........We gonna play " D " style
    See ya ,,,,soon

User Info Menu

Great hotel.

User Info Menu

I would have loved to buy as well, I'd already bought two of the previous deals though, so just couldn't swing this one. I'll have to get a 2nd job to support my Negril habit, airfare from my location runs about $1000 pp tax in, so that's my biggest stumbling block.

Thanks Westender Inn for your quick response earlier, you're a class act and I sure hope to catch your next deal to try out your property!