Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Affordable long term Apt rentals in Negril

User Info Menu

Affordable long term Apt rentals in Negril

Hello Boardie Family,
    I've decided to fulfill my dreams, and move to jamaica to start a new life.I fell in love with the country 12years ago, and decided to live there, and do what I love to do in a place where I love to be.
    I'm not moving until next year, but am starting to plan and put things together.
    I am looking for a 1bedroom unfurnished apt in the negril area that is good for a woman living solo. I'm also looking for something that is affordable that I can take a look at when I return in Oct on my first offical trip to get the ball rolling.
    I want to move my own belongings that I have here so that I may have all my personal belongings with me that I'm familar with, so I may feel at home.
    I'm looking for a space that I can put all of my furniture etc for a one bedroom: living room,dinning room, kitchen table, and bedroom set.
    I've located a job already, and would love any suggestions, and recommendations on how to make this transition run smoothly.
    I'm a little nervous on leaving all that I have built here in the states, but I think that it is time to follow my dreams and help the community there in jamaica with the skills that I have to offer.
    Is there anyone here on the board that has done this already, please share with me your experience, and if there are any regrets that you may have on the transition, or maybe not. I just want some feedback.
    Thanks in advance,
    Copper
    Live,Stay true to yourself, and Never Compromise for anything

User Info Menu

Re: Affordable long term Apt rentals in Negril

Wow, that is awesome that you already have a job lined up. Sounds like that is the hardest part. Finding an apt should be much easier. Best of luck to you in your move to Jamaica! I hope you will post more about your journey here, so we can all live vicariously through you!

User Info Menu

Copper...you've found a job, so I assume that your new work place will be helping you get a work permit. You can get a lot of the paperwork done online etc before you even get here. I wouldn't rent any property for more than 6 months...if your work permit is not confirmed yet. The work permit has to be approved by the gov't and do remember that they may only allow the permit to carry on for 1-3 years and can refuse to allow longer than that at any point of your stay/renewal time.
    If you're going for permanent residency...again I would still wait until confirmation before you move all of your belongings down here.
    Congrats on your decision.

User Info Menu

Thanks to both of you for the encouraging words. Thanks Bnewb,can you give me the websites to do as much as I can before arriving there in Oct to go to kingston.
    I'm not planning on moving there until Dec 2013. Yes, I do want permanant residency. How do I go about that?

User Info Menu

Peruse through the attached thread...there's some good links & info in it -
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.p...contacts/page3

Work Permit -
    http://www.mlss.gov.jm/pub/index.php?artid=17

User Info Menu

Hi Copper - how cool that you are working towards your dreams. You said you started going to Negril 12 years ago but have you done any long term stays yet. I always recommend this so you can start to experience what it is like adjusting out of vacation mode and into the culture. If you have then you have no doubt talked with those who have successfully made a move there and had a job there as that knowledge is critical also. The other advice I have heard over and over is that you should have a large emergency fund to fall back on or it could become unexpectedly difficult.

I would recommend checking with the Westender Inn. They have some awesome cabins for rent that are basic but cute and affordable (not sure but seems they were around $700 mth but you would have to ck with them to see). As a solo female please make security your prime requirement wherever you choose.

There is also a special Board on the Negril.com Board Forum page that has many threads on "Living in Jamaica".
    You have started the first few steps (dream, plan, research). Bless your journey!
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Check out Eddie's D bar and Judy House for what you are looking for

User Info Menu

Hello Nick,
    Thanks for the imput, but I'm not familar. Can you give a little more detail.............

User Info Menu

Hey Copper350 - I just wanted to say Congratulatons on going after your dream! I think that's awesome and really really exciting! I'm wishing you all the best!
    I have a cousin in Negril that I just emailed to see if he knows of any affordable apartments in his area. I'll let you know!
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Awwwwwwwwwww, thanks Clarity.