Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Affordable long term Apt rentals in Negril

User Info Menu

Re: Affordable long term Apt rentals in Negril

I can try to help with Nick's suggestions.

Eddie's De Bar is a bar and jerk restaraunt (best jerk) on West End and I think they have built a couple rooms on the property. Maybe someone can provide Eddie or Trevor's contact info for you.

Judy House is a cottage up the hill gardenside on West End that is owned by Sue McKenzie a long time expat Negril business owner and resident. You can google it and get the contact information. Beautiful gardens there.
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Thanks Sweetness, I need a the help I can get.
    Live,Stay true to yourself, and Never Compromise for anything

User Info Menu

Congratulations! As Bnewb stated, you'll need a work permit in order to work your job in Jamaica - and/or apply for permanent residency. A work permit can be costly - around $600-$1000USD per year with all the stuff and traveling to Kingston you'll have to do (it takes a few trips, especially for that first one and a ton of paperwork, oy!) I hope your new employer will help you with both the process and costs to make it easier on you.

As far as apartment hunting when you go in October check out the bulletin boards at HiLo and ValueMaster - there are always places to rent on there. Prices vary - how much per month do you consider affordable?

Have you ever spent more than a month in Negril? If not, you should before making your move. It is so important to develop community when doing something like this - get to know other residents there - that's how the best and more affordable places to live are often discovered. You'll get "hipped" to everything from the different neighborhoods, JPS bills, to Cable TV, to internet access and all sorts of tips and hints about transportation etc. Coming straight at this as a tourist it can be a bit muddling! I have a friend who jumped head first into living there after 30 years of spending time only in hotels and resorts - her head was spinning...but not for long. She wasn't afraid to meet people, ask questions and most importantly LEARN and keep learning...she's about 6 months in now and cruising along just fine (she doesn't work, she's retired).

She was smart and got involved with some great volunteering opportunities in the community and met some great, great people that way.

Remember too, living in a vacation spot like Negril is very different than the average 2 week vacation but I'm sure you realize this. The day to day there is not all that easy. Hurricane season can be rough, get used to supply shortages, water shortages (like right now on the West End, sheesh!) and power outages. And remember to be realistic about living expenses - they are higher than you think. There's an "old" adage that swarms around the expat community in Negril - "figure out how much it'll take for you to live there for a year...then triple that amount"...that and "know how to make a small fortune in Jamaica? Bring a large one."

Its good that you are planning more than a year out and in the meantime I hope you'll make some extended visits during ALL of the season, meet some great folks and live happily ever after.

Bless up!
    Last edited by Tiger Lilly; 06-05-2012 at 11:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Tiger lily,
    Affordable to me in housing is between $500- 750 a month with hot water ,etc. I remember reading that you should plan and live modest, because things are so expensive and you want to plan your spending until you at least get established.
    I'm taking savings with me that I can have as a safty net while I work.
    Yes, I have been around the comminuity, and that's why I coming because I the demand for what I do is there to help. I'm an educator, and stylist.
    Yes, I am also aware of coming and going back to kingston. I wonder how often though after I apply with all papaerwrk needed is it going to take.
    I know that it is going to be a culture shot, but where I grew up the livng on the island is how we lived as children.

User Info Menu

Sweetness' suggestion of Westender is a good one but again, if you've only been to the cliffs once on vacation you might want to explore the area a little further. Also living at Westender you might need a vehicle, its pretty far south. Not sure where you will be working but you'll need to take transportation costs into consideration as well.

I don't think Sue rents long term. I'm sure there are other options on Westland Mountain Road. I just read on another board that someone rented a 1 bedroom place on that road in the price range you are looking for.

Be aware too that living in Negril "proper" will up your rent expenses. You might want to take a look around Redground or Orange Bay (if you have or plan on having a vehicle).

Another suggestion - see if your employer can't help you out in finding a place. I see that you are planning a trip in October for 2 weeks - see if you can't extend that to 4 weeks. I strongly suggest you spend extended periods of time on island, staying in and around where you think you may want to live to get a true vibe of the place, a vibe you can't always get in a two week hotel-based stay. Instead of being "around" the community, dive "into" the community! Both Jamaican and expat - you will be so rewarded!!

You can do some of this online - do a little Google research and you'll find other forums where the participants are actually living there or have lived there for more insight and community development.

As far as the work permit, oy! There's a lot of paperwork to fill out - they will want to do a background check for criminal records in the US and you will need to be fingerprinted. I'm sure they will require paperwork from your employer as well. At first you might be looking at 2 or 3 trips to Kingston - you can get fingerprinted in Sav La Mar but need to deliver them yourself to Kingston. A private charter to Kingston can cost about $100USD and its about a 4.5 hour drive (or longer, its been a while so I forget). Everything costs, everything! Like I said before, it'll run somewhere between $600-$1000USD. Hopefully your employer will either help pay or pay in full.

User Info Menu

Sweetness' suggestion of Westender is a good one but again, if you've only been to the cliffs once on vacation you might want to explore the area a little further. Also living at Westender you might need a vehicle, its pretty far south. Not sure where you will be working but you'll need to take transportation costs into consideration as well.

I don't think Sue rents long term. I'm sure there are other options on Westland Mountain Road. I just read on another board that someone rented a 1 bedroom place on that road in the price range you are looking for.

Be aware too that living in Negril "proper" will up your rent expenses. You might want to take a look around Redground or Orange Bay (if you have or plan on having a vehicle).

Another suggestion - see if your employer can't help you out in finding a place. I see that you are planning a trip in October for 2 weeks - see if you can't extend that to 4 weeks. I strongly suggest you spend extended periods of time on island, staying in and around where you think you may want to live to get a true vibe of the place, a vibe you can't always get in a two week hotel-based stay. Instead of being "around" the community, dive "into" the community! Both Jamaican and expat - you will be so rewarded!!

You can do some of this online - do a little Google research and you'll find other forums where the participants are actually living there or have lived there for more insight and community development.

As far as the work permit, oy! There's a lot of paperwork to fill out - they will want to do a background check for criminal records in the US and you will need to be fingerprinted. I'm sure they will require paperwork from your employer as well. At first you might be looking at 2 or 3 trips to Kingston - you can get fingerprinted in Sav La Mar but need to deliver them yourself to Kingston. A private charter to Kingston can cost about $100USD and its about a 4.5 hour drive (or longer, its been a while so I forget). Everything costs, everything! Like I said before, it'll run somewhere between $600-$1000USD. Hopefully your employer will either help pay or pay in full.

User Info Menu

Great information and advice Tiger Lily - all you said is critical to making the transition. Most important thing you reinforced is how imperative it is to have long stays before trying to make the move. Copper please try to do this and as Tiger suggested at LEAST a month at a time in different seasons. Having a job is a BIG accomplishment so you employer should be helpful to you. Let me know if I can help w/budgeting. My longest stay was only 4 mths though. When you go in Oct i highly recommend seeking out others who live there to get advice.
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Tiger Lily's advice is a bit misleading...
    You will not need fingerprinting in Jamaica for your work permit...you will need to provide a police record from your current home town (which may or may not require fingerprinting) but regardless you do not have to go to Sav...they do NOT do this is Sav.
    If you're getting a work permit & follow everything to the letter, as I said earlier, you can do a lot of the work online...it should only take ONE trip to Kingston to get everything finalized if you've made no paperwork mistakes...you may need to stay overnight for a couple items.
    Copper...I gave you the work permit links etc...follow everything to the letter. Same with permanent residency...follow DoctorO's advice on this one...she laid it out nicely.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 06-06-2012 at 10:59 AM.

User Info Menu

This is sum top notch info~Bless!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Thanks to all that is helping me with this transition, and again Bnewb thanks I seen all info and will follow it to the T.i was told that there is a income re to ask for permanant residency. Is this true? I heard that they want to make sure you can support yourself before coming, but how much do they need to see that you have saved, if any at all?Thanks