Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a "Fair Price" for red stripes in the stores in Negril?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

What is a "Fair Price" for red stripes in the stores in Negril?

All this convincing that everyone is trying to make to us in regards to "avoiding the A/I's" is starting to work, but I should let it be known that we are DRINKERS!!...in fact, so much so, that the A/I experience to us so far has seemed cost effective.... That said, what can we expect to pay for red stripe in bulk(12 packs, case), is it even available in those sizes, and the mom&pop stores along the beach...I also would love to hear if a Hi-Lo market trip is worthwhile, or if a <precious time killing>MegaMart stop is worth the effort.. Food I think we can budget ok(even though we are big eaters, too)..but getting our drink on is important to us on vacation, especially since we don't have to drive, and can't "enjoy a sub" until we are retired.....naturally we will take advantage of drink specials/happy hours where & when we can...but feel that stockpiling beers is key

User Info Menu

Re: What is a "Fair Price" for red stripes in the stores in Negril?

In Negril I believe the China Mans store across from the Bank of Nova Scotia has always had the best price on a dozen or more Stripes. Maybe only a few $$ less then Hi Lo but also an experience just walking around in side the store. We have stopped at Mega Mart the last 2 trips and I can't quote you a price but then we also bought groceries & Rum at same time.

User Info Menu

Generally speaking, if you consume 10-plus drinks/cocktails and like to eat well with a variety of foods, and certainly if snorkeling is included, then an AI is worth it. All this rhetoric about AIs keeping you away from the "real Jamaica" is silly; you're not locked in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gerryg123 View Post
    Generally speaking, if you consume 10-plus drinks/cocktails and like to eat well with a variety of foods, and certainly if snorkeling is included, then an AI is worth it. All this rhetoric about AIs keeping you away from the "real Jamaica" is silly; you're not locked in.
    They dont "keep you away" but they certainly discourage you from doing anything that they dont sanction. For those who dont know any better. They may not get the experience.

User Info Menu

I've never had an AI discourage me from doing anything, and I've stayed AI and non-AI in Negril.

You have to make an effort to get out of the resort if you're doing AI. The problem with AI is that it's usually so expensive to stay that most people don't have the money left to explore and go to other places. If you like eating well, it's hard to justify $80 to $100 dinners when you're already paying $300 plus a night! lol

User Info Menu

If you both are big drinkers(10+drinks per person per day) and big eaters, the AI is going to be more economical. 20 beers, if they are RS, will cost you a minimum of $50 day. Go for frozen drinks or cocktails and you can spend $100 a day in bars. Throw in large quantities of food....you get my point. But then you become "economically" imprisoned by your AI. To make a go of the price dif, you have to eat most of your meals and do most of your drinking at the AI, and that is what causes people to not leave the AI. YMMV.
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

Oh, and Mega Mart isn't out of the way. You won't lose time, no more than if you were going to a store in Negril.

User Info Menu

When I was there recently I'd pick up 6 packs of RS every few days at the mini mart near Time Square for $660J. (morass side) I'd guess a case would be 4X that. A friend was buying cases there but I don't remember if he was paying a lesser amount or 4X the $660J. Across the street the 6 packs are $680J (Beverage Depot?). The price includes tax & bottle deposit. The store opens early ~ 7:30-8:00. Not sure how late they're open as I'm a morning person & not out at night. Hope this helps. BTW... The Fish Hut next door has great saltfish & ackee if you like fresh JA breakfast. $250J for S&A w/ callaloo... yum!

User Info Menu

On the same thread (literally and figuratively!) has anyone ever been to either the Moonrise Villas grocery store or Mikey's grocery store? I'm staying virtually across the street on the beach and was wondering if either has Red Stripe or coconut rum. It'd be much easier to walk across the street than take a taxi into town! I'll go to a few bars, but since I have a small fridge in the room would like to keep an emergency (and cheaper) stash nearby!

User Info Menu

Like RR said, No AI will stop you from leaving but keep in mind that any food and drink you buy outside of the AI is going to add to the overall cost. If you're big eaters and drinkers and you don't intend to spend too much time off of the AI then it would probably be advantageous to stay at an AI. IMO, I'd much rather have the variety that comes with going non-AI.

You may want to think about doing a few days AI and then a few days non-AI so you know for the next trip......there will likely be a next trip. There are also some hotels that allow you to purchase AI on a day to day basis. I believe Fun Holiday is one. I will say that at least on these forums, I find most pass on the AI after going non-AI. There is also more of a benefit to the local economy when you spread your dollars around which shouldn't go unmentioned.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15