Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

I really fell in love with the beach area behind the wall at Rooms, especially in the evening. Most nights, we had the whole area almost to ourselves. There is just enough landscape lightening for there to be no dark corners, but not so much as to feel bright. When you needed a refill, Sunnyside was just over the wall and there were plenty of loungers and picnic tables to spread out.

I was particularly fascinated by a pair of giant wooden picnic tables. They were the usual kind of table but with one unique difference; there were actually benches on all four sides of the table, not just on the long sides of the rectangle. It seemed clever to me especially if you had a big group.

We had been sitting at one of these tables on a couple of occasions, watching the bats and the crabs and other night creatures about. I decided to set up the camera on the timer to get a shot with both of us. Loving the 4-sided table, I wanted to take the photo the long way, so got Sunshine set up at one end and the camera at the other. Our red stripes were on the table, ready to be props. I started the shutter countdown and ran around the table to jump into place. Sunshine is ready, arm out ready to tuck me in for the required cuddling pose. I plunk my fluffy butt down.

Now any of you who have ever been on the short end of a bench when everyone else stands up may better appreciate what happened next.

In the blink of an eye, we discovered ourselves unwitting participants in a physics experiment, that ended with us landing flat on our backs in the sand. It was as though the table had literally ejected us. For those of you BBC watchers who may be familiar with Graham Norton's Red Chair, we had one of those moments. I compiled a little video of a couple of segments to help illustrate the experience.

Three miraculous things happened in less than a second. First, neither of was hurt in any way in way. Second, we both held on to our Stripes, though I did end up wearing some of mine. Finally, I actually caught the camera as it tumbled down towards us. Sunshine swears this picture was taken while the camera was somersaulting towards the ground. Everything I know about photography says that just can't be, but there was no other explanation.

Did I mention the table also had lovely big beach umbrella through the centre of it? It must have been quite the sight when the whole thing umbrella and all momentarily flipped up and deposited us in the sand. We certainly did get security's attention, though after a discrete walk past, our laughter seemed to assure him that no damage was done.

Not in the least dissuaded from our evening, we took ourselves down the water and captured a few shots goofing around in the surf. The thumb up pose is a shout out to Sunshine's baby brother. There are a good ten years of family pictures with him giving us the thumbs up in almost every shot, including at our wedding.

Our night was not entirely done, but this will be where the evening ends for you. Something about time warps and showers maybe? I don't know, use your imagination...

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

Marley....dont click on the link to the song!!!!! Cherry I love the song personally, but Marley is terrified of country music like Clarity is scared of bats....and lion fish. And sea urchins. hahaha

Jeeeez woman do your thing!!! This is so real, I love love love it. I agree....to have one picture of the two of you in Negril....well it couldn't be anymore perfect.

I wanna hang out with yall
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

OMG, thanks Tizzy for the warning....that was close! (I keep hearing Tapoo saying Track 10! Track 10! over and over in my nightmares LMAO)

I agree Tiz, we should work on Cherry-shine to get their buts to Negril in April!

I am seriously loving this report, I keep refreshing throughout the day to see if there is more!

User Info Menu

OHHHHHHHHHH

I posted right as you were posting this last one!!!

I literally laugh out loud at your stories...i'm just picturing you both side by side on your backs in the sand holding your redstripes steady... Good lord. hahaha

Girl those stinkin time warps are all over the place in Jamaica.....

Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

i'm here too cherry - i found it late - but you've got me refreshing my browser looking for more

and don't you love how Jamaica gives you that "go to your room and mess around" feeling - lol

i hope you saved this for your memory book . . . .

User Info Menu

You guys are awesome. That is it for today - you can't find out what happens on Thursday until it actually is Thursday. I don't want the trip to go any faster than it actually did!

Sorry Marley, I forgot to include the country music warning - its funny because I think at some point I actually meant to - I have heard this come up amongst the turtles. Cherry-shine, that made me giggle!

April would be nice - I feel like we would fit right in - making that work for next year will almost require devine intervention.

User Info Menu

Fen report. Getting me pumped for Friday.

User Info Menu

Cherry you have me SO sucked into your TR, loving every second of it. Did laugh about Sunshine, I can get like that during the daily grind we call life. BUT when I hit vacation I'm all about time warps, showers, zigging & zagging, subs, brownies and lots of Liquor. So looking forward to the next installment, tell you boss there are more people here counting on your skilled writing than that four letter word we call work!

User Info Menu

This report is such a great foray in a first time trip to Negril! Your humor and descriptive skills have me enthralled. I love that while we each have our unique experience of Negril, some of that great essence of the place comes through strong and flavorful in everyone's report. Your language barrier is so funny the way you describe it--but good for you for just forging on. For some reason I never had that issue, except for when patois started flying.

User Info Menu

Oh, my gosh this is so good, Cherry! You had me laughing out loud with the table ejecting you both onto the sand. That would be something I would've done, haha!