Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

Quote Originally Posted by CherryNorth49 View Post
    April would be nice - I feel like we would fit right in - making that work for next year will almost require devine intervention.

Oh you would definitely fit in, but funny enough with such a crazy and fun bunch, everyone fits in!
    Oh....and never say never.....stranger things have happened!

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

T&A - The food was a real unexpected highlight of our trip. Negril had some of the most consistently good food that I have ever enjoyed. If you are a fan of locally sourced, prepared fresh food, I think Negril is worth a visit for that alone.

Bjritz – You crack me up! I'm sure those corrugated steel did freak her out, but I was so done with her by then! That stretch of the road has some pretty stark contrasts.

Kaycee – it does feel good to know your dollars are going to stay local. I can't count the number of times the first question I get after I say I'm going to Jamaica is "Oh, to which resort?" It is like the rest of the country doesn't exist.

Yetta – I agree, it wasn't a cheap night out and with so many great places to try in Negril, we may not be back for a while. Pushcart next door looked interesting – same kitchen, better prices.

Guirigay – Ahhh fearless, that not a word I use to describe myself very often. There is something about Negril that just makes me want to ditch the well crafted, neutral exterior that fronts most of my life. It feels good to share the straight goods. I'm glad you are enjoying traveling along.

Tizzy – I want to hang out with you girl! I'm hoping to stumble into several more of those time warps this trip…

User Info Menu

Seveen – Yes I do. Sunshine's a big fan too!

Flip – I know I don't have much longer, but I am so jealous you will be there tomorrow. Safe travels!

Tanfantastic – I am going to think that in my boss' direction for now – that four letter word funds my Negril habit!

Irieworld – I think New York would be a great place to train your ear for Jamaica. Before the call centres all started moving overseas, we had a bunch here because our accent was so without an accent. Everyone understands us, but it doesn't go both ways! Thanks for reading.

Schuttzie – I am glad no one had a video camera, but also kind of wish they had. I was so carefully setting the camera up for our big shot. It would have been hilarious to watch it all go wrong.

Marley – You are right, never say never. I need to buy a lottery ticket…

User Info Menu

Chapter 10

“We are all ordinary. We are all boring. We are all spectacular. We are all shy. We are all bold. We are all heroes. We are all helpless. It just depends on the day.”
    ― Brad Meltzer

So Thursday dawned bright, though I wouldn't say the same for us. For all the fun we'd had the night before, we were feeling it the next morning.

Not to be put off by a hangover, we had what was now our ritual Shamrock's orange juice. Starting to feeling better, we shared a sub and headed down to the beach. I believe happy hour at our hotel beach bar (which closed at sunset) was from 12-2. This timed well for us to be actually moving towards the beach, so using the 'but there is real fruit in there' excuse, Sunshine ordered up a couple of breakfast Purple Rain for us. It is my fruity, blender drink of choice, though I admit I will rarely turn down a margarita. It was good for what ailed us.

We seemed to hit a lull in the food vendors, so we strolled out to the road for lunch. I was starting to notice that Sunshine and I we were holding hands quite a lot. We don't do that very much at home. It just felt natural and right as we wandered around Negril.

We hit up Montana's again. It was still a nice shady, quiet spot to watch the world go by. I had a fish sandwich, which was fresh, tasty and cheap. I have no idea what Sunshine ate.

That afternoon we had the first real rain that we had seen all week. It didn't last that long and was well timed for an afternoon canoodle.

Though I promised not to make plans, Sunshine had agreed that the steel drums at Canoe would be worth hearing. We chartered a taxi and we had a few stops to make on our way. Our cash was running low, so it was time to hit up the Scotia Bank ATM. We also wanted to pick up some more cake from C&Ds before the cab dropped us off at Canoe.

Our stop at ATM was not eventful, very much thanks to the tips I had picked up on the board. There was a line for each ATM, so it seemed just like being at the grocery store, whichever line I pick will be the slowest. No worries man, I am in Jamaica. I knew that I needed to know how many $JA I wanted and didn't freak out punching in such a huge number. Also thanks to the board I knew to look for a button to let us back out of the ATM. I do wonder how long it would have taken us to figure out that trick on our own.

User Info Menu

The special cake contains the same ingredients as the sandwiches right?

User Info Menu

Hahahahaha Flip!

And that would be a "Yea mon"

User Info Menu

IN!

User Info Menu

Cold cut brownies it is Flip. Proceed with caution, but do proceed!

User Info Menu

We arrived at Canoe and the band had already started playing. The webcast was set up, Rob was on the laptop and it looked like Lisa was chatting on some sort of net book. There seemed to be a group of boardies having a good time.

I will ask you not to judge me too harshly. Please keep in mind that I had found Negril.com not three weeks before we left for our trip. Heck, as I hadn't even registered yet, I was still only looking at thumbnail sized photographs in all the trip reports. I didn't really know who Rob and Lisa were and I didn't really have a good sense of the vibe on the board.

So we lurked at the webcast. Not a watching from home not signing into the chat kind of lurking, I was actually in Canoe, two tables over from Rob and Lisa and I lurked. Have I mentioned that I am generally pretty shy? This year, I promise I will say hi. However, if you are at Canoe on November 29 and see me hiding in the shadows, feel free to call me out.

The band was great. We had decided this would be our dinner stop for the evening. Sunshine had the lobster melt; he kept making borderline inappropriate noises of joy while he chowed down. I was carb craving and didn't want fancy, so I had the Pasta Carbonara, which was good. The portion was so huge; it didn't look like I had even started into it by the time I was done. It was happy hour and we certainly enjoyed the rum punch. I can't wait to have more, though I will warn others to proceed with caution. This stuff packs a wallop.

About half way through the two hour set, it decided to rain again. The band started hustling to move all their stuff under the shelter. We were disappointed that the show would be cut short, but it was totally understandable. Next thing we know, the band is crammed in under the overhang on the porch and they have started back up. Our table was now practically front row. They were great, but it sure was loud.

The rain let up before it was full dark, but the band continued on inside. They wrapped up and I was surprised they didn't pass a hat around. No worries, Sunshine wandered up and showed our appreciation. His understanding of the conversation? "Wah wah who wah." We are still not winning at this language thing.

User Info Menu

Wink Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

I'm enjoying your report very much.

My husband hears "Wah wah wah who wah" each time a Jamaican speaks to him, too. I find myself translating for him. The Jamaican speaks to my husband. I then translate what the Jamaican said to my husband. My husband answers the Jamaican........and on and on. My husband cannot understand how I know what is being said. In fact, most times when the Jamaican people speak to each other, I can undrstand evem that.

I have no idea why this is the way it is but, I just wanted you to know that it's not just the two of you that have the problem. By the way, we have been going to Jamaica since 1989 and he is still in the dark much of the time when a Jamaican speaks to him. I hope you two do better than he has done.
    Last edited by max2; 11-15-2012 at 03:57 PM.