Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

I have pretty limited experience with all-inclusive. I spent a week at one in Turkey with my parents when I was in high school. It was heavenly. Unrelated to this trip, I had suggested a couple of times to Sunshine that we ought to do an AI, and he always kind of shrugged his shoulders with a 'whatever' kind of attitude. Still, most of my impressions come second hand and generally the stories are really good. Jamaica is the birthplace of the all-inclusive, so if ever there was a time it would be now right?

Westjet had packages to all the big AI resorts in Negril, some of which were more affordable than others. I pretty much eliminated the fanciest places because I didn't want to spend that kind of cash and I didn't want to have to dress up for dinner.

In the end, I narrowed it down to two options: Sunset at the Palms AI on Bloody Bay or Rooms on the Beach, which included breakfast. There was a bit more than $1000 in difference between the two, but I figured that our Red Stripe bill on the beach would close that gap in a hurry. In fact, Rooms would probably end up costing us more. SATP looked beautiful. I liked the concept, the pictures and reviews on Trip Advisor were great. It did seem a bit away from things though. Rooms on the Beach wasn't as fancy, but it was on the main beach and looked to be walking distance from a tonne of places and not far from the nightlife. Reviews were good, no red flags.

So it was time to go back to Sunshine to get his impression. I start off the conversation simply, "So I have been trying to decide between AI and non-AI."

He immediately replies, "Non-AI."

I forge on, "There are a lot of things we should consider."

"Non-AI makes the most sense to me," he replies.

"Ok, so I am just going to spend the next 10 minutes going over pros and cons with you." I'm paraphrasing a bit here.

"I think non-AI is a good idea," he quite patiently states several more times as I go through my mental list.

"So, considering all that I think I'm leaning towards non-AI. Should I go ahead and book it?"

"Yes dear."

Fifteen minutes later we were the proud owners of two tickets to Rooms on the Beach. That was with only 43 days to go. Let the countdown begin!

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

Eeeeeeeehehehehe

I'm stoked....let's go!
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

This is great Cherry. Keep going. Pass the popcorn somebody
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

I love your style, Cherry! So enjoying this~

User Info Menu

Great report! I love the way you use your mad skills in researching/planning your vacations. I'm the same way. I live in a resort town and i'm so surprised by how many people show up with absolutely zero knowledge about their vacation destination!

User Info Menu

Chapter 2

“There's nothing worse than waiting and not knowing what'll happen to you. Your own imagination can be crueler than any captor.”
    ― Richelle Mead, Frostbite

So the countdown has begun, that can only spell relief, right? If only it were that simple.

I feel the need to share that I had some real anxiety around going to Jamaica. It was going be a really different kind of vacation for us. It would involve a lot of firsts for both of us. The unfamiliar makes me a bit anxious and I am the generally the calmer one. Strange places, strange people and crowds have on occasion proved taxing for the both of us.

I consider myself reasonably well travelled. I lived in Europe for almost a decade and covered a lot of ground while I was there. I have visited 38 of the 50 US states and been to 7 of 10 Canadian provinces. Fundamentally though, this has given me a great experience in the 'western' world.

Everything I was reading was telling me that Jamaica wasn't going to be like that. I had never traveled to the Caribbean. I had never been to a place where there would likely be frequent signs of people living in what I would describe as poverty. I have never been someplace where the price of almost everything is negotiable and everyone is an entrepreneur.

I was worried for me and I was really worried for my husband. This was my idea though, so it was time to be a big girl; I will cope. With some good planning and the right activities lined up, this should all be great. Once the vacation was booked, Sunshine had one other request.

"Please honey, can we just plan on doing nothing?"

"No problem," I say, "I mean, I am sure we will want to do a couple of things, but not more than one a day."

"No dear, I really mean, can we plan to do nothing?" he repeated.

"You mean like really nothing? But then we won't really get to see anything of the area. I am sure there are lots of things that we are going to want to see." I am thinking to myself that he must be crazy or I must have misunderstood. I mean why would you travel all that way and not see anything?

"But that should be ok, shouldn't it? We can just sit on the beach and enjoy the hotel? We are always off and doing things, can't we just try doing nothing for this trip?"

"Well, I mean I guess so. If it is that important to you," I concede.

"Promise?" he says.

"Well, ok, ummm I guess."

"No seriously, do you promise?"

"Yes dear, I promise."

What can I say? I talked him into taking a trip. I sold him on my destination of choice. I guess it is fair that he get to contribute some input on the whole thing.

This puts a real wrinkle in my normal pre-trip anxiety relief program. Normally, I would burn off my excess energy by compulsively planning an excess of potential activities for us once we arrive at our destination. I mean you never know when a little planning will come in handy right? On an average vacation, I swear I have a list of possible 'to-dos' twice as long as our trip will be. Now what am I going to do?

User Info Menu

Oh my gosh. I love the way you think...and, more important, the way you translate your thoughts into words. This is priceless! I'm going to make sure and have a bottle of wine on hand this weekend and hope and pray that you continue this report. And since I'll be visiting Negril for the first time next month, I'm anxious to hear how the story goes...

User Info Menu

By the way, I, too, am an obsessive planner when I travel to. I've been reading the board for about 6 months and already have reservations in place (for the One Love Bus Crawl, dinner and show at Seastar and dinner at Ivan's). But I have to admit- your hubby's way of thinking is kinda nice, too. I'm hoping to "do nothing" for 80 percent of my trip. Just...can't...help...but...plan...a...little. It's compulsive.

User Info Menu

great report cherry....mavmaiden, those are must do's even on a trip of do nothing....
    2009 trip http://www.negril.com/cgi-bin/discus.cgi?pg=prev&topic=196641&page=272185

2010 halloween---no TR

trip 2012
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/5589-Trip-report-sept-1-14-including-pelicanbar-catcha-legends-samsara-pubcrawl-etc

trip 2013
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/8323-gettin-my-groove-on-quot-TRIP-report-quot-boardie-bash-style-april21-may11-2013

.trip 2014
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/11962-Trip-report-Boardie-Bash-2014-best-trip-yet

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hey Cherry and Sunshine:

Nothing wrong with getting hooked on a good thing! Plus you have so much more to see and experience in our year long summer paradise.