Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

Hey don't stop now my fellow Canuck. I just poured my self a beer!

Great writing, looking forward to reading more
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

Re: I've got to find my way back, back to summer paradise - Nov 2011 Trip Report

Opps we posted at the same time. Carry on

[/url]

User Info Menu

LOL, that last selling feature reeled Sunshine right in. LOve it!

[/url]

User Info Menu

Oh yeah.....I am loving this one already!

Good stuff
    Especially loved your disclaimer at the beginning about people who like a short read need not continue...HA! That sounded like someone I know
    LOVE it!

User Info Menu

Hey Cherry! Please carry on at length, but finish before you leave!
    What's so funny 'bout Peace, Love and Understanding?

User Info Menu

Cherry!!! This is awesome, I love the way you write, and you're funnny! SCORE

Lookin forward to the rest of the story....and the next
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CherryNorth49 View Post

"Sold! We're going to Jamaica."
    LOL! The subs are like the icing on the cake.

Carry on, please!

User Info Menu

this is going to be a good one!!!
    http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
    Hey don't stop now my fellow Canuck. I just poured my self a beer!

Great writing, looking forward to reading more
    I hate to waste a fresh beer, I hope my last post caught you in time.

Quote Originally Posted by marley9808 View Post
    Oh yeah.....I am loving this one already!

Good stuff
    Especially loved your disclaimer at the beginning about people who like a short read need not continue...HA! That sounded like someone I know
    LOVE it!
    There are enough folks with mad trip report skills on this board that I can't actually narrow my guess to just one...

Quote Originally Posted by Guirigay View Post
    Hey Cherry! Please carry on at length, but finish before you leave!
    I don't want to promise, but I am pretty confident that we are going to get there. Honest!

Quote Originally Posted by TizzyATX View Post
    Cherry!!! This is awesome, I love the way you write, and you're funnny! SCORE

Lookin forward to the rest of the story....and the next
    Thank you! Speaking of the rest of the story, I can't seem to recall how your last report ended...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    LOL! The subs are like the icing on the cake.

Carry on, please!
    They sure were, more is coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Luvsdaislands View Post
    this is going to be a good one!!!
    Thanks Luvs, it was a great trip, hopefully it will come trough in the report.

Now to finish off Chapter 1.

User Info Menu

Now as far as Sunshine was concerned, our vacation planning was pretty much done. I know better. Having narrowed our search down to a single country, I now needed to figure out where on the island we were going and where we would be staying.
    The direct flight with Westjet was too good to pass up and we have had good luck with their vacation packages in the past, so I cut the field to the properties and areas they were promoting.

We land in Montego Bay, so I started there. It's a city, which isn't really a plus for me. Most of the resorts looked a bit crowded in and not that far from the airport. I grew up on airbases, so I am pretty good at ignoring aircraft, but I would prefer not to have to. Not that I think hip excludes me completely, but the idea of a place called the Hip Strip didn't appeal. I would rather things be a little more chill, so I crossed Montego Bay off the list.

Runaway Bay? It kind of looks like you are nowhere. There doesn't seem to be anything to walk to, no Jamaica to really see.

What about Ocho Rios? There are lots of attractions and activities around there, which is a plus. It is a big cruise ship port; that is a real minus. It isn't a natural beach; well I can get over that. Not ideal, but interesting.

What's this Negril place? It's a beach, 7-miles-ish of natural sand. Protected by a reef so the surf is gentle. Called the 'Capital of Casual.' Sunshine could have majored in casual in college. Not much to do but no one seems to mind.

So how to decide? Despite my ability to make things really complicated, sometimes the decision is simple.

Sunshine and I have only once before vacationed in what you would might call a beach destination. It had been a miserable, cold rainy summer and with a harsh winter likely on the way, 13 days before our scheduled camping trip to Minnesota, we said screw it and booked a vacation to Maui. It was at the height of the recession in 2009 and we scored a great deal. We had a fantastic condo right on the water, with floor to ceiling glass facing right into the sunset. Our activities everyday were planned around being back to enjoy the sunset. It was soothing, special and to me worth repeating.

The view from the crazy pad we scored in Maui.

Alright, so where in Jamaica are the best sunsets? Interesting, Runaway Bay and Ochi all seem to face north-ish. Montego Bay might do ok, but almost none of Jamaica actually faces west, but Negril does.

Decision made.