Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Short trip to Treasue Beach

User Info Menu

Short trip to Treasue Beach

When I had heard that TB was much like Negril 30 years ago I figured it was worth a look. We found a super deal on the internet for Treasure Beach Hotel at $75 a night including taxes and booked for 3 nights. We did some investigation on the TB area, but nothing compares to being there and looking around for yourself. We planned it so we would be in Negril for a few days head to TB and then return back to Negril for a few more days. We had some quotes of $120 for a taxi from Negril to TB. Being a cheapskate at heart we decided to take route taxis and combis to get there. It took 3 hours and 15 minutes to get there (just under 3 hours to return) for a cost of $16 for 2 people. We were traveling light with only one bag between us. As we came into town one of the locals pointed out Dawn's which was the best place to get coffee in the morning. We checked in to TB Hotel and I think we were the only people there. Beautiful place with 2 pools, lovely grounds, and a nice view of Frenchman's Bay and the sunset. We really didn't have a good lay of the land and had no clue where Billy's Bay or Calabash Bay were located or how to get there. But we were very happy on Frenchman's Bay with great surf and a few restaurants. Our first night we ate at Wikikii Restaurant at the far end and watched a fantastic sunset, then a huge bonfire on the beach. We stayed till way after dark and should have brought a flashlight, not considering how dark it got there at night with no moon. The next day we met a young US couple that had been to TB before. They were staying at Jake's but had walked up to use our pool! He kept talking about Little Ochi, so we made plans to go with then the next day.....blah blah blah, it will be much cheaper, blah, blah blah. The next day at 1:30 we meet our travel guide "Flash" and a second couple from Germany but the couple from the US didn't show up till about 2:15. Finally at 2:30 our ride arrives. Our plan was to eat at Little Ochi then stop at Lover's Leap for the sunset. We were already an hour behind schedule. "Flash" has arranged a van and driver for the six of us and has apparently told us each a different price. So he gets each couple alone to get paid without letting the other know how much. Our price was 6000 for the 2 of us which I thought was a bit pricey, but hey, lets go for it. Little Ochi was fantastic. The food was outstanding, fresh and cooked to order. It wasn't as cheap as I was led to belive, but well worth it, notwithstanding the 6000J just to get there!. Well, the food was a little slow getting there and the young US couple dawdled a bit at the table. so we were gonig to see a Little Ochi sunset, not a Lover's Leap sunset. We got to Lover Leap well after dark, about 15 minutes before it closed. We didn't go in as they still wanted to charge us each an admission to view darkness! On the way back to TB I was explaining to the German couple how we took route taxis to get there. "Flash" pipes in that it was not a smart move, what would you do if it rained, it takes too long, you will get too hot waiting blah blah blah. So who hops in our combi the day we are leaving, Flash, and he didn't have a word to say to us. One day he was the hot shot with the wheels, the day after just a poor schmuck like us!
    We had a nice time in TB and will probably go back for a week for our next visit to the area. The good news is that because it is not easy or cheap to get there a lot less people go. And from what I read on the Negril board, this is not a place that many of regulars would want to spend time becasue as far as I could tell there were no bar crawls, music venues or beach huckster.
    Regards,

Bob
    Name:  Jamaica 2012 Frenchmans Bay Treasure Beach DSCN0156.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  79.1 KB
    Name:  Jamaica 2012 Frenchmans Bay Treasure Beach DSCN0215.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  81.5 KB
    Name:  Jamaica 2012 Frenchmans Bay Treasure Beach IMG_4332.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  68.8 KB
    Name:  Jamaica 2012 Frenchmans Bay Treasure Beach Sunset DSCN1636.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  34.3 KB
    Name:  Jamaica 2012 Frenchmans Bay Treasure Beach Sunset DSCN1676.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  35.7 KB
    Name:  Jamaica 2012 Little Ochi IMG_4281.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  40.2 KB
    Name:  Jamaica 2012 Treasure Beach Hotel IMG_4341.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  82.7 KB

User Info Menu

Re: Short trip to Treasue Beach

Cool pics. Want to check out TB sometime for a few days.

User Info Menu

Never been to Treasue Beach but now I want to go. When I read it's like Negril once was and that no one else was in the Hotel (yous checked into) I was drooling...
    thanks for sharing this story & photos mon
    Jim Nasium (AKA: JImmy Too Bad)

Name:  2TBa.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  98.3 KB

Name:  2TBb.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  99.6 KB

User Info Menu

Thanks for your story. We're heading there end of February - staying calabash bay where have stayed before but will take a saunter over to Frenchmans bay to check out. Yeh I really appreciate the laid back vibe and the hard working people. I also appreciate places where you feel like you're sharing it with the locals not a kazillion tourists who party a lot hardier than I!

User Info Menu

beautimus! many thanks for sharing.
    my window faces the south

User Info Menu

rjonsun, great story! As might have guessed by now, there are other ways to get to Little Ochie. The cheapest is to take a route taxi. Treasure Beach to Junction, Junction to Alligator Pond. Go for lunch or you may find it a bit more difficult for your return. The other way is a bit more expensive but still far less than you paid. Get four or more people, go to the fishermen at Frenchman's, between Waikiki and Eggy's, and hire a fisherman to take you by sea. You'll see Lovers Leap from the sea! Waves pick up later in the day so I'd again go for lunch. Fuel is expensive in Jamaica so keep that in mind when you haggle over the price. The more people in the boat, the better the per person price. And if you are lucky, you'll see some dolphins or even a manatee on your journey. I honestly don't know where Frenchman's ends and Calabash begins but my guess is at Jake's. Strikey T's in in Billy's so all you are talking about is a 45 minute walk to be in all 3. Great Bay is a bit farther east beyond Great Pond and the police academy and Fort Charles is somewhere to the west beyond a comfortable walk. This is from the TB webpage.

Name:  mapst.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  31.7 KB

User Info Menu

Have been to TB twice now. My girlfriend found TB much nicer and more relaxed than Negril. Its nice to hear there are cheaper ways to get from Negril or the Airport. We had a very relaxing time and tried to go to places that were not frequented by crowds. Abosultly loved Fort Charles beach. Had the place to ourselves.

User Info Menu

Oh ya Fort Charles beach.......................a place for LOVERS~~ Just saying...............LOL
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool

User Info Menu

We made it to Treasure Beach for the first time this January, what a gorgeous, quiet, tranquil location, we're now trying to figure out where to stay on our next trip, I think we're going to try the same thing that you did bob, a few days in Treasure Beach and a few days in Negril.

Peace & Respect,
    Brynn ~ IslanderName:  Negril January 2013 034.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  95.9 KB
    Looking forward to our next visit to beautiful Jamaica! See you soon!!

User Info Menu

After 20 years of visiting Jamaica, mostly Negril but also several trips to Port Antonio and also Falmouth we took a day trip to Treasure Beach. The next year we did 7 days in Negril and then 3 in TB. The next year was 7 days in Treasure Beach followed by 3 in Negril. After that, we've only visited Negril twice in the last ten+ years. You'll never forget Negril's 7 miles of beach and cliffs but vibes wise it is the Negril from 30+ years ago.