Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Plugs?

User Info Menu

Electrical Plugs?

I remember not being able to use my standard american curling iron last time I was in Ocho Rios. But I forgot what I did about it. Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. Please don't say leave it at home...LOL You never seen my hair!

User Info Menu

Re: Electrical Plugs?

Don't know why it wouldn't work. Same sockets in Negril as I have at home.

User Info Menu

You where looking at the shaver outlet in bathroom most older hotels have shaver outlets. Look on the walls in the room most have standard outlets.

User Info Menu

Yep, same outlets as at home. No converters required.
    Maybe it just didn't get as hot? Sometimes the current isn't as strong as home.
    I have big, crazy hair and it gets even bigger and crazier in Negril
    https://www.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/4;10747;126/st/20230508/e/Negril+Bound/dt/-2/k/37c0/event.png

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I also have lots of trouble with my hair when there is alot of humidity so I took my hair appliances to Negril. But even though the plug-ins worked - my curling brush started smoking immediately when plugged in for the first time and became toast and my flat iron actually fried my bangs! I was using it at the same temperature setting I always use at home too but it must have become overheated. Freaked me out because I was there as a bridesmaid for a wedding and I had to do damage control on my hair to try and hide the fried hair. We were staying at Rooms on the Beach. I did not even try my hair dryer that I had brought. I just used the one provided. Just be fore-warned that this could potentially happen.

User Info Menu

the voltage may be up and down at times...it wont be as "standard" as at back home
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

I am not an electrician but this is what I have found: America works on 110-120-volts , 60 cycle! Jamaica works on 110-120 volts 50 cycles!
    The cycles stays on longer so it burns out our appliances, your record player would only run at 5/6 the speed! Leave your stuff at home, use the resort equipment or ask front desk for help in getting their appliances.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu and Al View Post
    I am not an electrician but this is what I have found: America works on 110-120-volts , 60 cycle! Jamaica works on 110-120 volts 50 cycles!
    The cycles stays on longer so it burns out our appliances, your record player would only run at 5/6 the speed! Leave your stuff at home, use the resort equipment or ask front desk for help in getting their appliances.
    Correct but it depends on the application. The U.S. and Canada are 120/60 and Jamaica is 110/50. Both use the A & B style plugs, so no worries there. Most electronics will automatically detect the voltage and frequency and adjust accordingly. Take a look at the power supply on your curling irons or straighteners. If it says 50/60, 110/230 it should be a power supply that can work at a variety of voltages and frequencies. Your phones, laptops, tablets, etc should all be fine, as well as most other electronics.

An older record player that kept the speed based on the frequency may run at 5/6 the speed. Newer record players should take frequency in to account. Clocks back in the day used to keep time based on the frequency, now it is all digital. I won't go into how that works but you can look it up if interested.

User Info Menu

Many hotels only have the two prong outlets. I always bring an adapter so you can plug in your three pronged devices.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hille141 View Post
    Correct but it depends on the application. The U.S. and Canada are 120/60 and Jamaica is 110/50. Both use the A & B style plugs, so no worries there. Most electronics will automatically detect the voltage and frequency and adjust accordingly. Take a look at the power supply on your curling irons or straighteners. If it says 50/60, 110/230 it should be a power supply that can work at a variety of voltages and frequencies. Your phones, laptops, tablets, etc should all be fine, as well as most other electronics.

An older record player that kept the speed based on the frequency may run at 5/6 the speed. Newer record players should take frequency in to account. Clocks back in the day used to keep time based on the frequency, now it is all digital. I won't go into how that works but you can look it up if interested.
    My plug in digital alarm clock with no backup battery ran slow. Observed several times.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave