Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Places to stay in Portland

User Info Menu

Re: Places to stay in Portland

One last question. How long should I expect drive time from MoBay airport to PA, specifically the Match Resort?
    I read posts and hotel info with anything from 2.5hrs to 5hrs.
    I think the 2.5 hrs is from hotel sites who don't want to scare off business - and I think 5hrs is probably closer to truth.

I managed to get a flight arriving MoBay at 11am - so I think we should have no problem getting there before dark.
    I've driven in JA several times, now - after waiting until about 4th trip to try it - and all is good EXCEPT driving at night, especially in unfamiliar area.
    I've driven MoBay to Negril, Negril to Treasure Beach (horrible road) to Mandeville and back to Negril, Negril to YS Falls and even Accompong (beautiful scenery, horrible drive) so I know how bad it can get.

I figure clear customs by 12:30 worst case. Fiance's stepfather drives a taxi and is bringing her to airport to meet me - so no side trip to Negril to get her.
    Then get rental car paperwork done and be on road by 1:30pm. I want to take it leisurely enough to see the coast and be able to stop for food, fruit stands, etc.
    But I also want to make sure we get there before dark. I've been as far as Ochi on one trip, so know the road that far is fine - how about between Ochi and PA?

Thanks again all,
    OB1
    Last edited by Ohio_Buckeye_1; 03-21-2013 at 04:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Buckeye,

So glad you are happy with Match!! Not sure of the pool hours, Vi may know or you can always email and ask. The road from Mobay to PA is in good shape. It will take about 4 -4.5 hours....of course stopping along the way will add to the drive time. From Buff Bay to PA the road is a bit curvy but still in good shape, just take your time. The drive is really nice very scenic.

User Info Menu

I’m pretty sure the pool is open 24/7

Ohio Buckeye, you and your lovely fiancée will enjoy the ride to Portland as much as being there. To me, the amazing change of scenery starts after going through Oracabessa in St. Mary. The wide smooth roadway is thickly lined with tall coconut trees and lush green vegetation which ads so much pleasure to the ride.

I usually stop in Ocho Rios to pick up rum because I can’t find my favorite in Portland. Around Annotto Bay is where I look to stop for soup and fruit. So with even travelling at a comfortable pace, stopping briefly, you should get there before dark.

User Info Menu

sammyb, vi, and butterfly,
    Thanks again for the tip/recommendations. And going to the trouble of providing all the info and posting the pics of the various places - I've done it a likkle before and know it takes a bit of an effort.

This thread looks like it could become a valuable one, if people keeping adding pics and info of hotels and villas - following the example you started.

User Info Menu

ob1 - ivanhoes is no good for a traveller with a car - no parking, just the street and you'll have flat tires the moment you leave your car on the street . . . make work project for the men that hang out on that street . . . enjoy the ride, it's absolutely breathtaking and easy drive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_Buckeye_1 View Post
    This thread looks like it could become a valuable one, if people keeping adding pics and info of hotels and villas - following the example you started.
    Glad we were able to help Ohio Buckeye

I did a huge report that included all the places I either stayed at during that visit or toured. Unfortunately something crazy happened and all the photos disappeared. A "let me show you this and that" report without pictures does not work so I had it removed.

I'll be checking out some new and re-visiting past places during my next reach. I plan to post them all at that time unless someone else beats me to it.

User Info Menu

The Great Huts located in Boston Bay

When I saw pictures on the web I was not the least bit interested in the Great Huts. I definitely changed my feelings once I saw the property and what it was REALLY about. The décor, architecture and landscaping is amazing. Not all huts and cottages are “open air” facilities, but the ones built with less walls are very privately constructed.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

You really have to be an outdoors type to stay here.

User Info Menu

wow sounds perfect for Jim and I LOVLEY~~
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool