Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Places to stay in Portland

User Info Menu

Places to stay in Portland

Ohio Buckeye,

I saw your post and decided to open a new thread because I didn't want to derail Babalew's thread.

After reading your post to start, I think Match Resort would be a good fit for you. http://matchresortportantonio.com/port-antonio/ I met the owner who has aquired the property about 3 years ago. He's been renovating it from top to bottom. The rooms are nice. Very clean and the AC is excellent. Restaurant and pool on the property. Here are a few pictures

Last edited by *vi*; 03-20-2013 at 12:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Re: Places to stay in Portland

It's close to town, but not in walking distance. However the walk to the corner to catch a route taxi is about 2 minutes. Dolphin Bay is a very nice area.

User Info Menu

Buckeye,

Sorry I meant Tim Bamboo.....I guess I have Jamaica Tamboo's lobster pizza on my mind.

Seastar is lively not sure Match would compare but in all other areas I believe as Vi that Match would be a good fit. And priced well at around $65 or so a night. May even offer you a discount...ask.

As far as the villas at Fern Hill...I would have to be in a pinch to stay there again. I had to ask for things over and over and never got them or a return call. We stayed there three nights and the place wasn't cleaned once...that wasn't part of the arrangement. Because it's not used much it really felt unclean and abandoned. Serious ant problem and minor bug problem, the road up to the villa (since they are located at the top of the property) is rough but manageable. That view is out of this world and loads of privacy. The villa has a living and kitchen area and is very spacious. There are three villas up there and they share one pool and did I mention the VIEW! If they would only clean the place and do some renovating it would be a great spot. The price is fair for what you get and under your $150 budget. Oh, and there is AC in the bedroom and if you open the doors leading to the pool/porch there is nice breeze, as I said I was there in August and I usually need AC 24/7 but found it very comfortable in the common area. I have photos if I can figure out how to post I will.....oh Vi can you give me a tutorial please.

Oh forgot to mention Match has reviews listed on Tripadvisor.com
    Last edited by sammyb; 03-20-2013 at 03:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Great info sammyb!!!!

Another place you can consider is Timbamboo (which sammyb mentioned) http://www.hoteltimbamboo.com/

I really liked everything else about this place. the rooms are huge. AC is the best I every experienced. Breakfast was included. Walking distance to town. Extremely clean all the time. Plenty of towels. GREAT accomodating staff. No pool but a route taxi can take you to Boston Beach for 100J. I would recommend hiring a charter and going to Winnifred Beach or Frenchman's Cove.

User Info Menu

Timbamboo also has villas

User Info Menu

Ivanhoe's Guesthouse

Another place I would recommend because it has that make-yourself-at-home feel. Mrs. Burke, the owner, is a wonderful hostess who will go out of her way to ensure your comfort. 9 Queen St., Titchfield Hill, Port Antonio; (876) 993-3043. This intimate guesthouse has 10 rooms on 3 levels. Not all the rooms have AC. Breakfast can be ordered which is excellent.

User Info Menu

okay hopefully this works....Fern Hill Villas - One Bedroom

User Info Menu

to add to Vi's post regarding Ivanhoe their email is ivanhoesja@hotmail.com
    Last edited by sammyb; 03-20-2013 at 03:35 PM.

User Info Menu

I stayed at the Match Resort in August and was very pleased. I'm looking forward to staying there again, next year.

User Info Menu

Wow! Thanks guys - boardies come thru again.
    Tim Bamboo and Ivanhoe, among others look to be perfectly fine - but I really need a pool or sea to take a dip in right on property.

Sooooo - After sammyb provided tip on Match Resort in the other thread - I started researching. I think it hits the nail on the head.
    And the extra couple of recommendations in this thread for it seal the deal. Unless is no vacancy - you'll be hearing about my stay there.
    Price is great - I wouldn't try to get him any lower per night. I might see if he has a weekly rate, though - I think that's fair to ask. And that's exactly how long we will be there.

As far as not so lively - no problem. As long as the bar is open, and a person to chat with - I'm happy.
    Plus I'll be with my Jamaican fiance - after a couple months apart - so I think I'll find something to do.
    Do you happen to remember how late the pool hours are - and the bars hours?
    After dinner, or after a night at the rooftop bar in PA - it would be nice to take a late night dip to cool off before going to bed.

Thanks again, all.
    OB1
    08: Jan-NegrilTreehouse
    08: Nov-RoomsOnTheBeach, Ochi & TobysResort, MoBay
    09: Apr-Legends, Negril
    09: Dec-Legends, Negril
    10: Apr-HolidayInnSunspree, Mobay & SeastarInn, Negril
    10: Nov&Dec-SeastarInn & FunHoliday, Negril & SunsetResort, Treasure Beach
    11: Mar-FootePrints & NegrilBeachClubCondos, Negril
    11: Sep-Legends, Negril
    12: Sep-SeastarInn, Negril
    13: Mar-Match Resort & Bay View Resort, Port Antonio & El Greco, MoBay