Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the BEST stuff to buy for sand fleas?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

What is the BEST stuff to buy for sand fleas?

What is the best luck you have had with?-also I have read to spray your lounger to?-I'm just trying to find out what to get today for my wife-I can't sit still long enough for sand fleas to get on me-see ya Monday!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Re: What is the BEST stuff to buy for sand fleas?

I posted this on another forum but it's worth repeating. Last November we had lots of sand fleas bites that itched like mad. We tried bug spray, wipes, and aloe gel. Nothing worked that well.

We had brought along some all natural raw shea butter to use as skin moisturizer. We started using it on our legs and arms to see if it would help with the itching. It worked! And it also seemed to repel the sand fleas. No more bites and much needed relief from that itching. The swelling and redness on the existing bites also went away.

One Jamaican told us that after we were in Jamaica for a week the bugs will stop biting us. He said they just go after the new arrivals. LOL? So maybe it wasn’t the shea butter at all. Perhaps they just moved on to the new arrivals on the beach? But the stuff is under $10 for 8oz on ebay and you can always use it as a skin moisturizer. The bug repellent and itch relief was a welcome bonus for us.

We won't leave home without it.

Timm

"Don't be no cloud on a sunny day" - Volkswagen's "Get Happy" Super Bowl ad

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Ti2m;94706]
    We had brought along some all natural raw shea butter to use as skin moisturizer. We started using it on our legs and arms to see if it would help with the itching. It worked! And it also seemed to repel the sand fleas. No more bites and much needed relief from that itching. The swelling and redness on the existing bites also went away
    [/QUOTE

Thanks much for that info mi gon try it they feast on mi in Jan!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by love2travelchic View Post
    Thanks much for that info mi gon try it they feast on mi in Jan!
    Like I said we just tried it and it worked. It's cheap, has many uses, and it's not a liquid so there is no problem packing it since it's like a waxy paste.

We bought some on eBay for Christmas presents but first got it at an Oyster Festival from the Shea Butter Lady for $10 a pound.

These were the uses the label recommended:

•Treatment of dry skin, eczema and minor burns.
    •Pain relief from swelling and arthritis.
    •Improves muscle relaxation and stiffness.
    •Sun screen (due to its rich content of Vitamins E & F).
    •Treats dark spots, stretch marks & blemishes.
    •Massages, diaper rash & can be used as a hair conditioner.

It's worth a try and if it doesn't work for you there is plenty of Red Stripe around.

Timm

"Don't be no cloud on a sunny day" - Volkswagen's "Get Happy" Super Bowl ad

User Info Menu

hockey socks..inviromentaly friendly..spell check waiter please

User Info Menu

Deet - far and away the best deterrent.

User Info Menu

The best remedy I've found is the red stripe they sell up on the west end,it seems when I drink that I'm never bothered by the fleas

User Info Menu

If you give them a couple of hundred $ J they usually go away ;-)
    Or DEET works well too...

User Info Menu

Really I think all the ideas-so my wife is bring coconut oil-saw fleas don't bother me-but ill keep trying the Red Stripes again-rum punches ect....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Saw a guy in Negril in Jan. with flea collars around his ankles. He said they worked well.