Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 32 of 63 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast

Thread: Simply Portland...Utterly Devine

User Info Menu

Re: Simply Portland...Utterly Devine

Quote Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
    I love the marina photos, Vi, and you can get as sappy and mushy as you like We are just feeling human beings, right? Love it!
    awwww thanks Schuttzie, I say with the biggest smile that you are a gem. Pictures of Jamaica have a way of not only reminding us about the moment but also how the moment felt and how it smelled and how it tasted. Okay, I’ll be sappy but definitely avid corny.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Vi, your pics. are to die for!! undisturbed tranquility. I have saved your pics. to use as screen savers hope you don't mind. I showed this to a Jamaican friend at Uni she says she has yet to experience this type of Jamaican beauty. I was puzzled until she told me she is from the inner city of Kingston and never ventured far from it.

Yes, and Elvis is greedy, especially because you told him about your love affair with mangoes
    Thank you so much Summer! Help yourself to any of the photos as I am happy to know they bring you pleasure. I have so many that I change the 100 photos on my screen saver once a week. The people in the office love looking at them when they pass by. I understand your friend not venturing out. Some people just don’t have the desire to do so. I’m glad she’s enjoying the pictures.

LOL @ greedy Elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by JitterBug View Post
    too funny about elvis not sharing . . . not sure about that. sharing is such a basic thing, i'd have re-think on him being a nice guy . . . on the other hand, one time i had a lapse in judgment and shared a very short amount of time with a "companion" who proceeded to get a box of food and ate the whole thing without ever offering me a taste!!!! . . . so, maybe that's just a "jamaican" thing . . . to me, it's a "selfish, self-centred thing" . . .
    Jitterbug, I know my descriptions of him conflicts, but up to and after that “mango moment” he was/is a nice guy. Somewhat clueless, yes when it comes to hospitality. I also had a friend buy and eat an entire meal in front of me knowing I hadn’t eaten. Another man was talking to me one time, left to find a seat to sit in, bought it back with him, sat in it to continue the conversation while I was still standing. I guess I’m used to seeing those little selfish acts from some, however after bringing it to their attention, I can look beyond it. I just know to only expect Elvis to provide a no-frills service. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Maryann View Post
    Beautiful photos! Love the yellow flowers. Geesh, too bad about the mangoes, and it was your idea! Lol!
    Thanks Maryann and shoot yeah it was my idea…but it went right over his head.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyb View Post
    Your photos leap from the screen.....sigh

be as mushy as you like, we're here for you and we do understand...........on one reach I sobbed so badly at the airport, the driver called the next day to make sure I was okay.....Beloved can do that to any of us.

No, JB not a "Jamaican" thing Elvis is just plain selfish!
    Oh Sammy, I can always count on you to understand where I’m coming from and to tell me to go ahead and let the sap flow. I appreciate you to the max girl. Very caring of that driver to check on you like that.

User Info Menu

btw…I love these discussions everyone. I appreciate how comfortable you all feel sharing your comments and opinions about my experiences. It makes writing the report more interesting and makes me glad I decided to include more narratives than I usually do.

Just had to say it...

Now back to more report.

User Info Menu

Town was quiet. Typical Sunday in Port Antonio. Folks slow down early and continue that pace into the night. A day of resting in the truest sense.

I wasn’t saying much as we rode down the almost deserted streets. I wasn’t even watching the outside pass by like I usually do. I lingered in deep thought thinking about the pleasant afternoon and hoping the days ahead of me will just as nice.

I did wonder if my driver got my red stripe but didn’t feel like hearing the excuses. I’ll have him stop at the supercenter on the way to the hotel.

User Info Menu

He told me the government has issued “notices to vacate” to the shop owners along the seaside as exiting town. That made me sad for them because so many people have little businesses there to support themselves and their families. He told me they have the option to either set up at the foot of Folly Point or pay for a stall in the new craftmarket which was being constructed while I was there. It looks really nice, but most may not be able to afford the monthly fee to occupy a spce but also feel they won’t get the same amount of business if they take the free option and set up at the point.

I pointed to Anna Banana. “Them too?”
    “Yep.”
    ‘What about that place. It used to be called the Hot Spot but I see they are rebuilding it.”
    “No, not them. They have a permit to modernize the place.”

He kinda shrugged the issue after that comment saying this is not the first time they were told to move. “They will refuse to move and life will go on until the next time.”

I don’t know but as I looked around noticing all the renovating, upgrading and new construction going on in and around Port Antonio I get the feeling the government means it this time. I wanted to go back and take pictures of both sides of the entire avenue. From Piggies cookshop at the split of the road all the way to Folly Point game field. But couldn’t let go of the thought long enough to ask him to turn back.

I hope to get back to take those photos and videos before anything is changed. Change is good and it’s bound to happen. But the present “look” is one I want to see long after it’s gone and forgotten. .

User Info Menu

I love the small shops; if I wanted to go to American-style malls I would stay in the US. (Note: I haven't set foot in a mall in probably 20 years, not a follower of US mass market trendy crap)

User Info Menu

I really hate to see these go, Goldilocks, but I do support progress if it means more jobs and revnue for the local shop owners.

User Info Menu

To my delight and surprise, we enter the supercenter parking lot. He remembered the stripe he owes me.

“Make sure the bottle is a cold one!” I shout as he nears the store.

Back with two red stripes and a half pint of Port Royal. Told him he’s off the “S” list and that rum surprise put him at the top of the “A” list.

There was activity at the field. We went to check it out.

Soccer game. I’m even less interested in soccer than cricket. But I agreed to stick around and enjoy the scene while I down this semi-cool red stripe. He gets out moving closer to the game. I stay in the car with both front doors open enjoying the breeze coming from the ocean.

Many families out at the point this evening. Some on the field watching the game while others spread out socializing. Was out there parked for about an hour. It was so relaxing and a great people-watching episode.

User Info Menu

Diver had to make a couple of runs to and from Boston. I didn’t feel like riding so I got dropped off at the hotel to shower and change.

Later I went out to get something to eat. Found a place selling crayfish soup and roasted conch. I got the soup and asked them to make sure I get plenty of meat. A quick “I’ll pay extra for the meat.” got me a smile and a hearty serving of the piping hot soup. Decided to take it back to the room and eat. I wasn’t tired, but there wasn’t anything going on around town and I needed to reorganize the stuff in my suitcases. They were a mess.

The soup was outstanding. Got a picture but I didn’t take my time and it ended up looking like hog slop so I decided not to post it.

I put on Necessary Roughness while sorting through the pile of clothes dumped from the suitcases onto the bed. What a mess.

First time watching NR…interesting show.

good night portie

User Info Menu

AHHHH, so sweet! I love all the little shops, too! If they end up moving by Folly's, they may do OK, I think. Catching people coming and going from that end.

User Info Menu

Schuttzie, although I’ve only started doing this, walking the avenue on a busy Friday or Saturday night is a favorite of mine. So much goes on from about 7pm to 11. A few cook shops stay open playing music only loud enough for those inside to hear. Again, not once am I disturbed as I walk from one end to the other. I love it!

But whatever happens I just pray the vendors will be okay.