Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where can you buy a cheap cell phone in Negril...??

User Info Menu

Re: Where can you buy a cheap cell phone in Negril...??

Awesome news. If they sold them at arrivals at the airport (or just outside), it would be SO convenient and they'd sell like hot cakes.

User Info Menu

Let me clarify, I meant the gas station near the NEGRIL airport. The one up by Couples Negril.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Most stores carry them - look for them behind the counter. Differnt brands (Nokia, Sansun, Alcatel, etc) have different costs - the Alcatel ones seem to be least expensive. You will probably pass 300 places selling them from Mobay airport to Negril, including the gas station by the Negril Aerodrome.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

If you have an unlocked GSM phone here in the US, from ATT or T Mobile, you can just use it with a Jamaican sim card.

User Info Menu

We bought this phone and it was a great deal and very useful. Now I am wondering if I will be able to use it again next year if I let the minutes run out and just add credits next year when we return? I appreciate any help as I got conflicting answers when I bought it and when I bought credits.

User Info Menu

If you have not used the phone since last year you will most likely need to buy a new chip as the phone number won't be good anymore. If you don't keep credit on the phone it won't work, you need to keep it topped up.
    Last edited by Bluez; 01-12-2014 at 08:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by plongdin View Post
    We bought this phone and it was a great deal and very useful. Now I am wondering if I will be able to use it again next year if I let the minutes run out and just add credits next year when we return? I appreciate any help as I got conflicting answers when I bought it and when I bought credits.
    When did you buy it? If you use it or top it up online over the year, it should be good. That's what I intend to do, I don't need to learn yet another number! Mine is LIME and you have 60 days after the minutes expire to top it up before you need a new sim card. Not sure about Digicel...

User Info Menu

I think Melody posted that an email from Lime confirmed you have 6 months to top it up and keep your number. Can you confirm Melody?

User Info Menu

Yes, that's true Mo. Someone else posted that they topped up online just under a year later and it worked. Someone else confirmed that it worked ~ 6 months later. Personally, I have definitely gone over 60 days before topping up successfully.

User Info Menu

Ok, so this thread prompted me to do a little experiment...

Back in June '13, I brought an old, unlocked Blackberry with me to Negril and stopped at the Digicel store to pick-up a SIM card and some minutes. I got a Jamaican number a with a bunch of local and international minutes. I did not use up all my minutes, but when we returned home I basically turned off the phone and put it in my drawer. (Actually, I initially left it on but started getting some texts and phone calls, in patois, from a Jamiacan chick, which landed me in the doghouse with the wife. Then I turned it off.) Just yesterday, I dusted off the phone and charged it up. Sure enough, it was out of minutes but the phone appeared to be roaming on the AT&T network and I received a few text messages with instructions on how to top-up. I then went to the Digicel website and tried to top-up my phone number, online. I put on ~$400J and instantly the phone was alive again! Digicel actually gave me over $500J of credit. They also texted me an offer that allowed me to call any Jamaican Digicel phone for free while roaming in the US, so I promptly called favorite my driver and setup airport transportation for our February trip.

So, to make a long story short - it appears that a Digicel SIM card will stay active for at least 6 months after the minutes expire.