Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunsets, Rum, Sand and Gizzadas 97 Days in Negril

User Info Menu

Re: * * * * * * Sunsets, Rum, Sand and Gizzadas – 97 Days in Negril * * * * * *

more please

User Info Menu

Mid-afternoon. Hot, hot, hot.

Outside, on Hermitage Road, the school kids are walking by, returning to their homes after a hard day of hitting the books, or computers, or whatever it is school kids ‘hit’ these days. Apparently they don’t travel home by route bikes after school. Their voices ring out as they pass by; they laugh and call out to each other and play games as they walk along, just like kids going home from school all over the world do. The girls are dressed in knee length smocks, navy blue with white blouses. The boys in long brown pants and khaki shirts.

Luna, our Rotie/Shepard mix guard dog (she’s actually just a big pussy), lays in wait in a shady corner just inside the wrought iron gate to the complex. She watches the children file by. Occasionally, for reasons known only to her, she unleashes a barrage of ferocious yelping barks at a passing group of unsuspecting kids. They squeal and jump away from her, then dash past the gate. Luna knows she isn’t supposed to do this. Yesterday she was scolded for it, a hang-dog look on her doggy face. But sometimes girls just wanna have fun.

This morning we walked the entire length of the new sidewalk project. If you're interested, I’ll have a report later.

We are just starting to settle in.

Ahh! I hear the high-pitched steam whistle peanut guy coming up the road - Gotta go.

Haven't tried this place yet.
    Name:  Negril 1.jpg
Views: 2189
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  Negril 2.jpg
Views: 2191
Size:  99.2 KB

A shady section of Hermitage Road
    Name:  Negril 4.jpg
Views: 2047
Size:  99.7 KB

The mouth of the South Negril River - really tough to row over this section!
    Name:  Negril 5.jpg
Views: 2110
Size:  63.1 KB
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

Thanks Kahuna - as always looking forward to more! And what the heck is a "Gizzada"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2nutz4travel View Post
    ....... And what the heck is a "Gizzada"?
    i *think* he's referring to what i've heard called:::>>> '..gRizzada..'

'tis a type of coconut cookie/pastry thing-y ---- yummy yummmy yummmy, especially when fresh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gizzada
    Last edited by smith744; 12-04-2013 at 02:55 AM.
    be hapPpy

Administrator

User Info Menu

According to the National Library of Jamaica, this Jamaican tradition is spelled and pronounced "gizzada" as correctly used by Kahuna...

http://www.nlj.gov.jm/FeastingontheHeritage/gizzada.htm
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I would be interested to know how far the sidewalk has progressed.
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

* 2Nutz – Smith is correct, a gizzada is a cookie-tart kind of thingy that is my favorite Jamaican treat. I’ll take a photo of one and post it. I think the best gizzadas (home made) are made by the lady who has a fruit stand in front of Chances.

It is so hot and humid today, Lawd have mercy!

So yesterday I checked out the much discussed ‘Sidewalk Project’. It starts at the bridge over the river in town and is located on the morass, or garden side of the road. It’s made of poured concrete and is about 10 feet wide, twice the width of a normal sidewalk. It features a row of red bricks that run down the center, like a dividing line, and another row of bricks on each side, like shoulders. Every 30 feet or so there is a cut that runs across the sidewalk, one brick wide, also filled with red bricks. The sidewalk is a work-in-progress. It runs all the way out to Shamrock, but ends there. Also, for the last 500 yards or so, there are gaps in the concrete where only the wire mesh has been laid.

I am impressed with what has been accomplished so far and it was a pleasure to walk along the completed part. It is a really good start. I can imagine it completed, lined with shade trees along the southern edge, frequent park benches and trash bins. Kudos to all who are behind this project. See the photos.

Bea snuck a Christmas advent calendar down in her luggage. She gave it to me on Dec 1. It’s the type that you can customize, fill it yourself with whatever suits your fancy. It has little drawers in it for treats and surprises. She got it at Ikea. See the photo.

So far this is what I’ve discovered:
    - Day 1 - $500J wrapped up like a little Christmas present.
    2 - a lottery ticket – didn’t win, but got a a free play, and a Godiva chocolate-covered cherry.
    3 - four gummy pineapple rings – there was supposed to be 5 but the fifth one didn’t make the trip.
    4 – a chewy chocolate covered toffee and dental floss

Quick Fact:
    - Juicy J’s is moving from its current location just behind Scotia Bank to the beach, near The Palms, in mid December

Name:  negril 12.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  98.4 KB

Name:  negril12.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  99.9 KB

Name:  negril13.jpg
Views: 1900
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  negril14.jpg
Views: 1850
Size:  100.1 KB

Name:  negril15.jpg
Views: 1831
Size:  92.2 KB

Name:  negril16.jpg
Views: 1780
Size:  104.6 KB

Name:  negril17.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  35.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

Must try that sweet cookie thing. Miss Rose is the woman in front of Chances. The advent calendar is cool. Must be fn opening each day to see what she has surprised you with. Poor doggy and his leg
    PS Thanks for the sidewalk report
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

How did you manage to get your passport stamped for 97 days? Isn't the usual tourist stamp for 90 days! ;-)

User Info Menu

You KNOW I'm going to have to try one of those Gizzadas now! Thanks for the info and for the pics