Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dinner at Ivan's, I might pass on it

User Info Menu

Dinner at Ivan's, I might pass on it

For the money you pay I would pass on having dinner here. The food was ok but for the price you can rack up a good bill. 2 crab cake appetizers $8.00 ea, Snappy snapper $19.00 a copy of LTU's chicken Lola $19.00. 4 red stripes $4.00 ea 2 rum drinks $8.00 each and $8.00 for a shared piece of cheese cake and you have $100.00 plus tip.

Being in the fishing business I also know what snapper is and dinner was not snapper for sure, not what I would call bad fish but not snapper, and had some fishy taste..

Lastly from the time we sat down until they took a drink order was 20 minutes and from the time they took the drink order until the time we ordered dinner was 45 minutes. To sum up we were there a hour before we got to order food. Then another hour to brink out food. The food prep time was not that bad but just trying to order another round of drinks just did not happen. Very very very slow even by Jamaica standards. Oh yeah. Had to go find the waitress 3 times to ask for a bill. Ordering desert was just as time consuming.

If our dinner would have been half the price the wait times would not have been bad but at $100 pluss tip you expect better service.

Timm

For less money and better for with greatly larger portions go to Presley's, Murphy's or Caio Jamaica
    Timm

Don't Tread on Me!
    The tree of Liberty needs to be refreshed from time to tim with the "Blood of Tyrants"

User Info Menu

Re: Dinner at Ivan's, I might pass on it

Quote Originally Posted by Living_the_Dream View Post
    For less money and better for with greatly larger portions go to Presley's, Murphy's or Caio Jamaica
    or for even less money have a good tasting box meal from Fatties, Collettas or SeaView......lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Much of what passes for snapper in Negril is in fact, frozen boxed tilapia. Think about it. Every restaurant on the beach and cliffs offers it including the All Inclusives. (not saying that's what the original poster had; just an observation)
    Last edited by Big_frank; 12-01-2013 at 01:40 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big_frank View Post
    ....., frozen boxed tilapia. ......
    :-(

oh my.!!..

so,
    please tell me::>> how does this *work*...??...
    the fish is served WITHOUT the head, tail etc. ..??.. (e.g., '..fillet..')
    be hapPpy

Administrator

User Info Menu

There are fish farms that raise tilapia just outside Negril. They fillet it and box it. It "works" just like it does in North America...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big_frank View Post
    Much of what passes for snapper in Negril is in fact, frozen boxed tilapia. Think about it. Every restaurant on the beach and cliffs offers it including the All Inclusives.
    mi buy mi fish directly from the Fishermon who walks by my place with his wheelbarrow full of fish on ice......
    usually baracuda, tuna/bonita and snapper.....half decent prices....and the fish was caught dat morning
    mi eat it dat day or next day........mi don't like freezing mi fish.......
    cause mi can taste da difference....that is what mi get for being raised in New England as a fishermon.....lol
    down by the river in da mornings.....you can always buy your fish der too......
    and many places in Negril will cook your fish for you if you ask dem nicely.......

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    There are fish farms that raise tilapia just outside Negril. They fillet it and box it. It "works" just like it does in North America...
    opps..!!..
    MY bad..!!..

i wasn't *clear*
    with my query

me sorry

let me try again:::>>> question for boardie-Living_the_Dream:::>>> was the *snapper* you ordered, served WITH or WITHOUT the head-ON...???... or was it fillet...??..

and,
    Rob, THANK-YOU for the info 'bout the tilapia fish farm(S).

WHERE are they...??..
    Do you think I can go-visit, get a tour, etc....???..
    if so,
    how does THAT *work*..??..

____ _____ ____ ____ ___

an aside:::>>> Ever-since my first-trip to Jamaica, and eating that fresh-fresh jus'-out-of-the-boat fish, I no longer purchase (to cook) those frozen, in-box, fillet fish thing-ys they sell here in USofA.

in fact,
    it was just the last-week,
    i purchased a whole snapper from WholeFoods, and told the fish-man:::>> "...clean it, scale it, and LEAVE the HEAD ON...!!!..."

cost..??... ---- US $12.00
    Ja$1,200

* sigh *

i can't wait to get-BACK to Jamaica,
    where the cost-of-living is less expensive
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

One of the American news shows had an investigation into fish served at restaurants in the US and many misrepresented the fish, the origin, and the freshness. The better sushi chefs in the world acknowledge that previously frozen fish make the best Sushi. As for fish tasting "fishy" !????!

User Info Menu

There are two "fish pans" over by our spring but they're not in use any more

When they were first farmed the Rasta called them "ferti-fish"
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave