Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: * * * * * Reflections on My Unfortunate Encounter With a Thief * * * * *

User Info Menu

Re: * * * * * Reflections on My Unfortunate Encounter With a Thief * * * * *

I am personally paranoid with all of our stuff when we are staying away from home. Anything that's loose, that could walk away when we are sleeping is stuffed between the mattress and box-spring we are sleeping on. That's in a 1 room hotel.

I only do this, because I have had stuff stolen before. Not in Negril though. College Dorm, Hotel room in the states. House broken into in Miami. Car broken into in Miami. Actually most of the bad stuff that happened to me, was when I was living in Miami.
    Last edited by Flipadelphia26; 01-28-2014 at 08:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bnewb View Post
    are you freaking kidding me??
    An old laptop gets "stolen" and we're all freaking out...with all the crappy things going on in this world...seriously??!!
    wow!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Are you freaking kidding me??
    An old laptop gets "stolen" and we're all freaking out...with all the crappy things going on in this world...seriously??!!
    Maybe it's time to take the rose-coloured glasses off Bnewb!! I'm sure it was more than just getting his laptop stolen. I sure as hell know that if I encountered someone in my room with who knows what kind of weapon, I'd never get a good night's rest again and would also prob go home. Just because you and Rob have never had this happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen. So sorry this happened to you Kahuna and thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Thank u for sharing... I too felt "uncomfortable" or shall I say, worked extra hard at being "aware".... A friend of mine, a visitor of many years was forced off the road on his scooter at night, robbed at knife point and his money and scooter stolen, a small cut on his face. Well, we went back and rented scooters again.... But its not the same, we never travel alone. I travel with a group of grown men, "gym rats" x wrestlers, wives stay home. We go to eat, drink, relax, enjoy friends. In 30 years,never done the prostitution thing, avoid hard core stuff, only enjoy the local produce.... Its not the same..... The happens everywhere is not an excuse, there is a more violent, criminal element that needs to be addressed.

User Info Menu

How frightening! I know that I had a burglary in my home one time and it was traumatic. It really does shake your feeling of well-being.

User Info Menu

Although I've never had anything stolen from me in our 20+ trips, I've heard of numerous stories of people being separated from their money or belongings. I tell newbies that they need to be careful and aware and to leave valuables at home whenever possible. The easy access to cash in Negril also means you really never need to have more than a couple hundred dollars in your possession at any time.

I think security is a major selling point of my hotel of choice also. However with that said, my newbie speech always goes like this.......the most dangerous thing in Negril is the road, learn how to effectively and respectfully say no to hustlers you don't want to deal with and keep a close eye on your belongings. In all the time I've spent there, I've never really heard about anyone being hurt by a thief. Can't remember a single story of bodily harm toward a tourist. Theives want your stuff but don't want to hurt anyone, IMO. That may not be consolation to Kahuna or anyone else whose been shaken up by a robbery, but it certainly is to me. I still feel completely safe in Negril with regard to my well being.

User Info Menu

Our house got broken into a few years ago during the day while we were at work. My wife slept with a large knife beside her bed for a year!
    BUT... You all are getting very personal here. Lets all calm down and try to keep our cools.

[/url]

User Info Menu

WOW...this is fun to wake up to...apparently nobody gives the benefit of the doubt...

I was going to have Rob delete the comment as I'd NOT written it....I apologize for failing to sign out of my account (computer lesson #101) & one of the people we had all been discussing this matter with...felt it would be provoking to post their feelings under my name (this person has already apologized...we'll leave it at that).

But only since it's already out there & only because I've received a number of pm's in support of the comment & only because we seem to blindly believe information put all over the internet & only because we make heroes or in some cases enemies out of people we don't even know are telling the truth or not...here are MY actual thoughts....

Let's start with you can't always believe what you read!

Second...I'm not an administrator on Negril.com...Rob and the Negril.com staff are the administrators...it's never been said by Rob or the Negril.com staff that I'm an administrator for Negril.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana1 View Post
    Maybe it's time to take the rose-coloured glasses off Bnewb!! I'm sure it was more than just getting his laptop stolen. I sure as hell know that if I encountered someone in my room with who knows what kind of weapon, I'd never get a good night's rest again and would also prob go home. Just because you and Rob have never had this happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen. So sorry this happened to you Kahuna and thanks for sharing.

Third...no one that actually lives here has the audacity to say to another person actually living here to take "the rose-coloured glasses off". Your speculation & assumptions are interesting though...and from a personal level...where did Rob or I ever say that I've had nothing happen to me? I could blow you out the water with events that have happened in my life back in Canada...but I choose to keep my information private so it's not splashed all over the internet as rumour & speculation. As someone once told me...I have to "suck it up" and "expect to be discussed" as we are "celebrities" which is far from the truth...we are only somewhat known around here. Rob wrote only in reference to the number of years he has spent here.

Fourth...as far as Kahuna is concerned...Rob & I have known him for years...he & Bea are part of our lives. We enjoy his company when he is here, Rob has proofread his first two books and I was honoured to be a recipient of an advanced copy. The feelings go deeper than most of you would understand & when one of our friends has been hurt somehow, we take this very personally.

So in conclusion...don't let anyone use your computer to check their emails without first signing out of everything...
    I have learned my lesson!!!
    Last edited by Bnewb; 01-28-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Well said Bnewb....

User Info Menu

Oh lord....... It's obvious the tone of your conversation was in line with whoever you claim used your account.

The backslapping on this site cracks me up.....