Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: * * * * * Reflections on My Unfortunate Encounter With a Thief * * * * *

User Info Menu

* * * * * Reflections on My Unfortunate Encounter With a Thief * * * * *

I didn’t expect so much chatter to come from my ‘incident’. My point was simply to convey a message – be aware and be vigilant.

But I’ve noted a trend in comments, in my thread and the ‘Rant’ thread, that I have to comment on. The feeling seems to be going in the direction of ‘don’t worry, be happy’ – ie; so what, robberies happen everywhere. Yes, that’s true. But do not be lulled into complacency and think that since robberies do happen everywhere that it’s no big deal that they happen in Negril too. To me it is a big deal - I won't write it off because 'it happens everywhere'. I don't think its OK at all. And it’s not just thievery. It's low-life criminality.

I had several conversations with Jamaicans on this trip that took me aback and gave me concern for the Negril that I love.
    - I was warned not to walk a section of road, not far from my accommodations, or ‘I would be robbed.’ That took the air out of my buoyant mood that night. I was with Bea, so I worried until we got home.
    - I was told that there is a lot of thievery (break and entry) in the area, and that thieves are often hunted by people in the neighbourhood. Vigilantism is a symptom.
    - A party was going on next to a bar I was in, all young men attending, and I was told to beware of the group when I left. Beware? What should I have done? Ran away, maybe? Called for an escape vehicle?
    - I was having a conversation with a nice older woman when she suddenly lamented to me that there ‘was so, so much crime in Negril now’. My heart went out to her.
    - A man said he no longer walked in a section of road (a different one from above) ‘because there are strangers up there’ that he was wary of. Previously, he told me, that that area had been contested by two gangs of young men.
    - My observation is that there is a greater police presence in Negril I guess this is a good thing. The reasons for the greater presence, however, are bad things.
    - A new police commissioner (not sure of the rank or the correct nomenclature) recently arrived in Negril from a rough area of Kingston. At a neighbourhood meeting he said his mandate was to ‘clean up Negril and bring it back to what it was’. Good stuff, I hope he succeeds. But he also said that he felt Negril was approaching a ‘tipping point’. He compared it to an area in Kingston that turned bad when he was there. I got this fresh second-hand from a guy who is a straight talker and was at the meeting, so write it off as hearsay if you feel like it.
    - Westmoreland’s most wanted criminal was shot dead by the police in a residence in Negril during my stay. Supposedly in a gun fight. I’m glad they got this guy, he was despicable, but I’m just sayin’. In Negril? WTF!

For the first time in all my visits to Negril, at times I felt uncomfortable. At times I felt unwelcome – this mostly from punks who glared at me as I walked by. I was overly aware of people walking up behind me. My spidey sense went off on several occasions. All of this was before I was robbed.

I didn’t write about any of this in my blog because at the time I just put it off to old-man paranoia. You can go with that if you want to. But having a punk attempt to get into my bedroom at 2:30am crystalized my feelings. Evry’ ting is not Irie in the island paradise.

That’s why I split.

I’m not fear mongering. It’s no secret that crime in Negril is on the rise. My impression is that it is not as safe as it once was, and it’s nowhere near as safe as some people think it is or make it out to be or ‘feel’ it is.

By all means – go to Negril. Have fun and interact with the good people. But be aware that the criminal element is very, very real
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

Re: * * * * * Reflections on My Unfortunate Encounter With a Thief * * * * *

Thank you Kahuna3. Having just returned safely from a 10 day visit to Negril; I did notice that there was an increase in security at several places I visited and at the place where I stay. This doesn't happen because attraction/restaurant/resort owners want to spend money and employ more security.
    It's for a reason. We walked west end and town area and beach road and were not accosted except by sellers of aloe, weed,hard drugs, and the shopkeepers whose job it is to get you to visit their stores. Thank goodness we had no problems; but we could have. We are aware of that. But being careful people we escaped any harm and will continue to visit Negril and I hope you will too.

User Info Menu

Thanks for writing this. Thugs are ruining things for the *good* people. And, will more than likely only get worse. Thugs would rather steal what you have worked hard for instead of working, so they can but their own *stuff*. I understand about the feeling uncomfortable and don't blame you for heading home. That would take the fun out of any vacation.

User Info Menu

I agree. Thanks for having the courage to post this.

User Info Menu

Kahuna, good to hear from you. Very sorry your trip was cut short but glad you are safe. My wife and I will be there in a couple weeks and were looking forward to seeing you walk by on the beach while we enjoy our morning coffee. Reading your books and your posts have always entertained us. For us it is always good to reunite with the good friends that we have associated with and grown together with for many years. Besides our Jamaican friends we always seem to run in to friends from other states and countries that visit Negril the same time we do which also makes our visits special. I sincerely hope in time that you will consider returning to Negril although right now I would understand if your answer was no. We wish you and Bea the best. To good health and long life. Respect.

Soon come can't come soon enough!

User Info Menu

Kahuna, sorry about the theft. But thanks for your post above. I for one have noticed some of the same things you have in recent trips. Me and my wife had a pair of pants and a purse fished out the window of our room while we slept. They cut the screen and used a clothes line pole to fish them between the bars in the windows. We now make sure things can't be reached in this manner. Also i set some bottles against the luvers that fold out so if someone pushes them open it makes a lot of noise. We only lost about 40$ us which I think was cheap for such a valuable lesson. Like you said folks should not become complacent. No matter how good your A game is things can happen especially if you have something to drink. No one is on there a game after a night of drinking so be careful folks.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting this...

I'm a lot more familiar with Kingston having lived there off and on for 5 years, it's a dangerous place. Stuff goes on there that you couldn't even imagine. Some of that mentality and culture will eventually spill over into Negril as people move around, travel through, looking for a better/easier way to make a living or even get food to eat for the day.

Negril is a tourist haven and is seen as a place where for the most part rich whiteys come to party. Most locals can't even imagine having the money it would cost to fly in, stay at the hotel, eat and drink what ever you want, like we can. We are so fortunate be able to come visit and enjoy ourselves. The police take it very seriously when something happens to a tourist. Good hard working Jamaicans are sickened by what they see the "yout" doing. I'm so sorry that this happened to you Kahuna but as you say your "spidy senses, were tingling before the robbery. Thank goodness you were ok and Bea was not there. I hope you will both want to return in time.

~ May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand between your toes ~

User Info Menu

Thanks Kahuna for keeping it real and posting this...My partner who grew up and lived in negril and has family and friends there doesnt even feel comfortable there anymore..lot of places he wont walk by,go ,etc...when just a year ago it was never a problem.....ie. if the local jams tell you not to go there, or be careful-you'd be a fool not to listen to their advice..With that said we will be hanging out in Negril in Apri for a little time-were aware of whats going on but will still go and have a goodtime-will just be extra careful and more on guard like we were when we were there in Dec..and yeah Rob -on our "A-game" for sure..
    The bottom line-it is what it is..crime has increased..
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

Are you freaking kidding me??
    An old laptop gets "stolen" and we're all freaking out...with all the crappy things going on in this world...seriously??!!

User Info Menu

I think the home-invasion part is what's heavy, not the laptop ..... Plus the sad irony that Roland had done so much to promote Negril and stand up for tourism. He had booked for 97 days, so it's obvious he was incredibly loyal to Jamaica and particularly Negril.

I know that both you and Rob are in a tough spot here. We greatly appreciate you guys letting this play out. I think it's important.