Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: August – January – My 5 months in Jamaica

User Info Menu

Re: August – January – My 5 months in Jamaica

This is very interesting, loving this post.

~ May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand between your toes ~

User Info Menu

At least twice a week (weather and health permitting), I liked to take a walk about a mile long to the Computer Center in the town library next to the Community Center. Even though the Computer Center opened at 10am, I liked to leave around 9am so I would have time to stop a few times to rest and to chat with my neighbors.
    One place in particular I loved to stop was to chat with Rubber.
    Rubber
    Name:  0038 Rubber.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  27.1 KB
    Rubber’s store.
    Name:  0018 main1.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  45.7 KB
    Rubber is an old and dear friend whom I have known for nearly 25 years. He grows coffee and cocoa and I can always count on a freshly brewed cup of coffee or a hot cup of real cocoa.

Across the street is another favorite store for incidentals that you might need but not want to go all the way into Santa Cruz to purchase.
    Name:  0019 main2.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  57.2 KB
    Down near Cudjoe’s Monument, I arrive at the Community Center with the Library and Computer Center next door. I am usually a likkle early so I stop at the Community Center to chat with whoever is on duty. Here is a picture of the mural on the wall.
    Name:  0020 main3.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  53.7 KB
    Name:  0021 main4.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  45.6 KB

Peace and Guidance.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

It’s 10am sharp and here comes my friend Beth down the road to open the Computer Center. Now, I have an “Edge Speed” (think that means 2G) at my house but the speed is so limiting that the 200megs of bandwidth they give me per month only allows me to check the mail about a dozen times a month. I save that for when the weather is bad or I am just too lazy to walk.
    I find my regular seat at the #2 Computer and wait until Beth boots up the system. I asked her for a picture and here she is.
    Beth.
    Name:  0022 Computer1.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  89.9 KB
    The computers and the broadband connection were donated by a group out of Minnesota. There are no telephones except Cell Phones in Accompong Town so this connection is a beamed in signal from Mandeville. Here are a couple of pictures from the Computer Center.

It only takes me about an hour to get all the things done that are on my list of things to do. I have a laptop at the house and a couple of thumbdrives so I can store what I need to send and then just cut, paste and download the information. Often I will get done with a few minutes to spare. Some enterprising youth wait until I am getting done and ask for the minutes that I have left out of what I paid for. The computer time on the Internet runs $2J per minute and I always give them $100J for the 50 minutes.
    Name:  0023 Computer2.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  42.6 KB
    Name:  0024 Computer3.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  92.3 KB
    I think I hear a friend’s vehicle coming up the steep hill so I go outside to see if I can get a ride back to the house. Towards the end of my stay, I was feeling much stronger and walked back every time even in the rain.
    Name:  0025 mainIn.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  60.6 KB

Peace and Guidance

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Very interesting. Love your pics and stories.

User Info Menu

.. reminds me of our yard near dromlily..edge of cockpits.....i love the rural country life....simple, hard, rewarding...more pics and report please
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

So enjoying this post and pics! Keep them coming........
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Very nice

User Info Menu

Nice style... LOVING this!

User Info Menu

This is wonderful, thanks for sharing your story and pictures;;

User Info Menu

Those who know me the best understand that I am all about helping wherever I can and Accompong Town offers so many ways to help that don’t require a lot of money. Mystic Bowie, Reggae Singer-Songwriter, is from Accompong Town and he has made it his mission to improve the school system

He formed the Mystic Bowie Cultural Center http://mysticbowieculturalcenter.com/ to raise the collective consciousness of both the citizens of Accompong Town and the world in general on what is needed and how to accomplish it at the same time. Mystic Bowie travels all across the United States giving concerts and most times half of what people pay to attend the concert goes directly to funding the Mystic Bowie Accompong Library

As with any library endeavors, books are needed to fill the shelves. Nicholas Da Silva from www.dreadandalive.com and some of his friends and supporters sent down some books which I was proud and honored to deliver myself to the school’s principal, Mr. Garfield Rowe.
    Mr. Garfield Rowe.
    Name:  0026 BookDonate.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  72.2 KB
    Another project was dubbed “Project Accompong” http://www.dreadandalive.com/causes/project-accompong/ where funds were raised to feed the 35-60 students a nourishing hot breakfast three days a week. Again, I was honored to deliver a month’s worth of funds for this worthy cause.
    The Breakfast Program
    Name:  0027 BreakfastProgram.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  68.7 KB
    Mr. Da Silva, a graphic artist-entrepreneur, also donated a silkscreen which the children along with Tayshan Wright screened enough donated tee shirts to give each child who participated in the program a free tee shirt in commemorate the January 6th Celebration of 2014.
    The kids with their tee shirts.
    Name:  0034 Tshirt3.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  68.4 KB
    Name:  0035 Tshirt4.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  93.1 KB

Peace and Guidance