Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: August – January – My 5 months in Jamaica

User Info Menu

Re: August – January – My 5 months in Jamaica

Very nice!

User Info Menu

Of course, no trip report would be complete without acknowledging some friends who make my living in Accompong Town a special experience. First of all, I would like to thank my good friend and driver “Peckish”. He is always there when I need to go somewhere and he never seems to complain when things take longer than expected. He has been a good and special friend for more than 15 years now.
    Peckish.
    Name:  0037 Peckish.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  28.8 KB
    George Huggins is the person I have known the longest (outside of Marshall) in Accompong Town. George is the builder of the square Gombe drum and a winner of the Lady Musgrave Award and considered a cultural treasure. I met George at Apple Valley Park in 1989 and he and I have been the closest of friends ever since.
    George Huggins
    Name:  0040 George.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  39.5 KB
    “Flashy” is my next door neighbor and a close friend. If I need anything done, I just have to ask him and if he can’t do it, he knows someone who can. We seem to talk every day at least twice during my stay as he farms a plot of land in the bush a few chains from my house and passes by coming and going.
    Flashy
    Name:  0041 Flashy.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  40.9 KB
    Finally, there is Tayshan Wright. A Rasta youth whose knowledge and understanding of Maroon History and Culture is well beyond his years. We often have spirited discussions and enlightenment sessions that leave me wanting to know more. He has supplied me with books, papers and pictures dating back nearly 100 years to satisfy my curiosity and quest for knowledge.
    Tayshan Wright
    Name:  0039 Tayshan.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  44.1 KB
    Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Fascinating. Can't wait to see more. Thank for sharing.

User Info Menu

thanks for sharing. definitely gives some much needed perspective (For me anyway) about rural Jamaica.

User Info Menu

This is wonderful. Love seeing pictures of your friends and your home and all the goings on. Thank you so much
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Nice.......The basics of life......

User Info Menu

And finally, no trip report about Accompong Town would be complete without mentioning the January 6th Celebration. My likkle town of well less than 1000 people becomes the host to 7,000 – 8,000 visitors from all around Jamaica and the world. Planning starts around the first week of December on what entertainment, security (as if any were actually needed) and a general cleaning and painting of the town’s structures and grounds.
    Name:  0042 Celebration 1.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  84.6 KB
    Many residents are employed to cut stakes and poles that are used to construct the 10 X 10’ stalls for the vendors. Everyone gets into a festive mood knowing that the holidays of Christmas, Boxing Day and the Celebration bring extra income into the town where there are virtually no jobs except farmers and shopkeepers.
    On January 6th, I make my way over to the main street and stop to visit with my fellow citizens to see if I can be of any help like making a sign or setting up displays. I usually skip the formal ceremonies now as I have seen them and participated in them for well over a decade. Instead, I just try to help where help is needed.
    Name:  0043 Celebration2.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  87.2 KB
    I am not one to take a lot of pictures of people (though you see a number of them in this thread) so I am just showing a few that I took from a vantage point of Tayshan’s jewelry stall. When the night came, I made my way over to a pen where my next door neighbor was putting on a show. He had Sound Trooper with Ricky Trooper and Red Heat sound system at a bargain price of $300 Jamaican.
    Name:  0044 Celebration3.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  84.0 KB
    We partied until the sun came up. Two days later, this rainbow appeared. I have been a wanderer and a seeker of fortune all my life but here, I have truly found my “Pot ‘o Gold”.
    Name:  0045 Rainbow.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  32.9 KB

That’s all.
    Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

Beautiful report. How did you happened to find yourself there so long ago?
    Soon come!

User Info Menu

Awesome report! I learned alot...and that rainbow..beautiful!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thatswhatshesaid View Post
    Beautiful report. How did you happened to find yourself there so long ago?
    The link in my signature is to the many stories of my travels http://www.negril.com/discus/message...tml?1290352358
    That story in particular can be found at this thread http://www.negril.com/discus/message...tml?1281835874

Peace and Guidance