Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: August – January – My 5 months in Jamaica

User Info Menu

Re: August – January – My 5 months in Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by SandT CHI View Post
    This is awesome insight to life in jamaica that doesn't involve the sea. Thanks for sharing. I have a quick question. One of your friends, Tayshan, is a rasta that you say eats river fish. Is there a difference in their, meaning rasta, eyes between river fish or fish front the sea or is this just an availability issue. Also I've heard/seen that rasta practices/ beliefs are to only eat veg. Are there differences just like there are different groups of Christian beliefs, For example catholic. Thanks for sharing.
    It was not Tayshan that I said eats river fish, it was Marshall. However, I believe Tayshan does as well. A Rastafarian diet depends on the "Mansion" they belong to as well as how strictly they follow their Mansion's rules. For instance, Mansions include the Bobo Shanti, the Niyabinghi, the Twelve Tribes of Israel, and several more.

Marshall and Tayshan are both members of the Niyabinghi Mansion. They are most notable by the drumming sessions they have around Jamaica.

What follows is a likkle bit of what I know and what I have read about the Rastafarian diet.

Marshall used to eat only brown rice and brown sugar and nothing else while he lived in Kingston. Although that seems extreme, many Rastafarians still follow that practice. The Rastafarian diet stems from religious beliefs. The Rasta, or followers, do not like to be around dead animals. Many believe you allow your body to become a cemetery when you eat meat. While this is a common belief, not all Rastafarians follow a strictly vegetarian diet. Some followers eat meats like chicken and beef, but most Rasta do not eat pork.

Though many Rastafarians follow a vegan diet for religious purposes, their diet can include fish, such as codfish, as long as the fish measures less than 12-inches long. The Rasta consider fish longer than 12 inches as a symbol of the Babylonians who feed off others. This is where eating small "river fish" comes in. The religion does not restrict the type of fish followers may eat, but does prohibit the inclusion of shellfish like shrimp or crayfish in their diet.

The Rastafarian believe people should live in harmony with nature. Some Rasta refuse to eat foods changed from their natural appearance, such as peeled or cut fruit, while others won't eat any processed food. They avoid coffee or other stimulants and base their diet on foods indigenous to their region. This way of eating creates a natural weight loss program and provides the body with the nutrients it needs to function. People use the term Ital to refer to natural foods or vital foods in conjunction with the Rastafarian diet.

Eating raw or natural foods often promotes weight loss. Ital foods include pimento, the Scotch Bonnet pepper, coconuts, callaloo, breadfruit and bananas. The Rastafarian diet uses callaloo the way most people use spinach. The coconut provides milk and oil. Some Rastafarians eat diary products and eggs. Other foods outside of the Rastafarian diet may qualify as Ital food. Any food grown naturally in your area would be an Ital food. You may want to follow a diet based on what foods are in season to avoid using canned or frozen foods. Don't forget to include berries, nuts and seeds as natural foods.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

So,if the big shark eats the little fish to survive and the bird eats the bug on the ground to survive, are they not in tune with nature?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Stripe View Post
    So,if the big shark eats the little fish to survive and the bird eats the bug on the ground to survive, are they not in tune with nature?
    Living in "harmony with nature" is a choice one makes on how to live one's life. Survival is how one keeps alive. I can't actually say if the shark or the bird are "in tune" with nature as nature is a complex symphony of interrelated actions and reactions.

I can, however, always be sure that Master Po will always come up with something that sounds profound to educate Kwai Chang Caine in the ways of the Shaolin.

Continue on..... Grasshopper. Name:  grasshopper.gif
Views: 718
Size:  13.1 KB

Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

Respect Accompong, I never figured to see a Kwai Chang Caine reference on Negril.com.

Thanks for the hearty laugh.

User Info Menu

You have life in Jamaica so right Accompong.

User Info Menu

Sounds like the Rasta Diet is similar to the Paleo Diet. Minus the Meat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flipadelphia26 View Post
    Sounds like the Rasta Diet is similar to the Paleo Diet. Minus the Meat.
    Yes, Flip. In the time before processed foods, people foraged for food and that would be what a Rasta would eat (as you said, minus the meat) and then later an agrarian culture grew cereal grains and fruits and vegetables. Again, what a Rasta would eat.

Much of the Rasta's diet comes from selected scripture verses that Marcus Garvey used as a basis for the Rastafarian lifestyle. Here is some information about the movement and Marcus Garvey. http://www.jah.com/rastafari-movement/

A true Rastafarian is about discipline in his way of living. The way he eats. The way he is true to his word etc. I am afraid that many of the dreadlocked people you see in Negril use the look as a camouflage to get close to people. Who dem cap fit, let them wear it.

Peace and Guidance