Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Negril in the next year - need advice and contacts

User Info Menu

Question Moving to Negril in the next year - need advice and contacts

Hi! I'm dk, and a jacadian at heart (born in Canada). I never realized it was home I was missing until I stepped foot on the island.

I've stayed in Negril 4 times now and have a semi decent sense of direction, where the markets are etc.

I am looking for a small house to purchase - but not till next summer. I have thought of building but not so sure about that and island time Need a 2 bedroom and a modernish bathroom with a yard big enough to garden and grow some fruit trees.

I also need to find a company to ship my stuff from Canada to Jamaica - likely a container - so if there's anyone on here that's been through this process I would really appreciate your assistance.

I'll be back in Negril in mid - November, then again first 2 weeks of February. I usually stay at Mariner's and while I have some friends there already - would love to make some more.

Soon come
    dk

User Info Menu

Welcome to the boards Wench.

I myself have never really shipped anything from Canada there, but someone will come along and give you some advice.

Just wanted to let you know that i too, will be there in February, so being that we are 'neighbours' here in Canada (5 hour drive from your city to mine)... we should link up down there for a Dirty Banana's or two.
    Booked for Feb.22 - hope to see you then!

User Info Menu

Wench...are you planning on moving down here full time or just for six months or less in a year. If you're planning on being down here longer than six months in a calendar year...how are you planning on staying legally?

Maybe you should consider renting a home here first...so you can get a good idea about the community and the lay of the land.

You really don't have to answer these questions publicly... but they are things you do need to think about.
    I live here and we are asked these questions quite regularly. Please feel free to pm me and it would be great to meet up with you on your next visit in November.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 08-18-2011 at 08:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Wench, dats some sound advice coming fromBnewb!! Jayhay isnt all is seems to be !! ake it one step at a time and get to know how living is WAY different from visiting ....

User Info Menu

Would be great except I leave a week before you get there Might have to meet up here! I bet you're already counting days. I'm going in November as well for 10 days so I'll kepp a couple on ice for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-ochigirl View Post
    Welcome to the boards Wench.

I myself have never really shipped anything from Canada there, but someone will come along and give you some advice.

Just wanted to let you know that i too, will be there in February, so being that we are 'neighbours' here in Canada (5 hour drive from your city to mine)... we should link up down there for a Dirty Banana's or two.
    Booked for Feb.22 - hope to see you then!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up and I will take you up on the advice.

User Info Menu

Thanks ackee, too right. Living and visiting are like apples and oranges - no comparison.

User Info Menu

Do not buy in Negril but look in surrounding areas. Negril is nice to visit here and there but to live in a tourist town in Ja is difficult. Drive out the Road to Sav and cruise around if you are serious. Also before Negril is Orange Bay, it's quiet there.

User Info Menu

you will love it ...

User Info Menu

whatever your budget is........at least triple it........lol

been der, done dat.......

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20