Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Waiting to book....

User Info Menu

Waiting to book....

We have our dates ready to go(April 29-May 9th) but are holding out on booking until the beginning of April (planning on booking a hotel and flight package through a Hotwire or Expedia type site) Was wondering if anyone has experience with this kind of booking and if it is worth it to wait until closer to the date for a price drop. I'm thinking because it is low season by then I might be able to score a deal. We are planning on staying at a local hotel(not a big all inclusive). I would appreciate any tips/advice on these sites that you may have. Thanks so much!

User Info Menu

Re: Waiting to book....

I'm new to this board, but not new to Negril. In my experience, the off season rates are what they are, whether you book in advance or not. The airfare is what'll get you, depending where you're coming from. I've always found better airfare by booking at least a few weeks in advance. Cheapest days to fly are Tuesday through Thursday.

User Info Menu

I've been traveling to Negril since 97 and I'll be darned if I can figure out air fare or even see any real patterns to their pricing. We don't really do the air/hotel pkg's because we have done better price wise by keeping them separate. But sometimes I do see some pkg deals that are extremely low pricing.

The last 5 years or so we plan our trips about 9 to 10 months out and seem to have gotten decent airfare. I'll keep tabs on the up and down movement on price during the upcoming months to our trip and really haven't seen it go too much lower than it is when we have purchased it so far in advance. But I have notice it rise with each month that gets closer to our date, or so it seems.

When we are able to have time off for a last minute quicky trip I have checked pricing a couple times a day every day for as long as I can and a couple of times have seen it sky high one day and then a few days later much more reasonable and then a day or two later spike up again?? Also a couple of times I have got a better deal than what is posted on the website by calling the airline, but that was luck I think because that hasn't worked lately for us. Hard to figure, except keep trying.

Next trip is in May and I got our tickets in Oct for $550 and now we have a couple late additions to our trip and they are reporting prices over $800. Quite a difference.

At times it seems almost like a roulette wheel or throwing dice as to what the price will be each time you check.

Good luck,

Jamb

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I agree with Tah.However,I have heard that airlines sometimes have deals in the wee hours of the mornings that go away fast.

The offseason hotel rates are kinda set but do fluctuate.

Right now on Negrilonestop there is a "special" rate for CoCo which will not last.

User Info Menu

I would also check out the airline's vacation websites, like Delta Vacations, United Vacations, etc. They will often give a really good package deal when they have extra capacity.