Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: self drivers CVM talk

User Info Menu

self drivers CVM talk

#1 this is not an advice thread, just observations from someone who has been there and done that for a few years.

#2 cover yourself and then double down and cover yourself again when it comes to auto insurance coverage, think of it as freedom of mind and yes CYA.

Years ago our credit cards covered CVM on rentals. I remember buying a tire on a jaunt where we were a few hours out and paying 90 U.S. (seemed a touch high, but I was on vacation and I wanted a spare to cover the spare in use after a primary had a side wall blowout) which at that time was 1500 J, upon return to the states I shipped my documentation off to VISA and they sent me a check for ???? 1500 U.S. (sorry in the end you shall find that the love you take is equal to the love you make - I sent the check back for the proper 90 U.S. version).

But then for about 15 years we have gone through this credit card CVM not available in Bosinia, Congo, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica. Over the years I have paid the rental agency rate or upon occasion doubled up with a Travelgaurd product (even then read the 4 wheel drive/ATV/off road coverage writer).

In Feb when I picked up my VOXY I asked Mr. Brown (reputable agency with nice fleet) about my AMEX Black and he noticed my MC World and said that it covered also and he would much rather work with MC (every card has a differant surcharge for merchants and apparently MC has a lower rate). It adds up to a few bucks a day saved. When I made my October reservations this week he gave me the cards he is accepting and I checked them out.

It is worth checking your cards. I do advise that you need to check with your card issuer, do not depend on card type alone, differant issuers have differant writers.

Really talking to old dawgs here, making the observation that the old way is the new way again (maybe).
    I have won many awards in a lifetime of competition and service. But the highest was offered without plaque or fanfare on a hilltop in post Ivan Jamaica. A true Rasta and a dear friend observed "Chet you are like a father of men, you see need and fulfill that need without being asked". Let us be travelers and not tourist.

User Info Menu

i use my world master card for every car rental 3x per year. works real good for me, makes the car reasonable.