Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is a route taxi

User Info Menu

what is a route taxi

I have not been back for 4 years, have taken taxi's but what is a route taxi?
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Ok, there are route taxis going back and forth on their routes.. some routes fairly short, like beach road negril, or west end negril routes.. some are much longer, you can take route taxis to Kingston if you want to..

The benefit is a inexpensive ride were you need to go, but it isn't a private taxi, often it will be a full load, mostly Jamaicans getting to town or home from work.. the rates vary in cost by route length, but both negril routes are under 100ja pp, but I ALWAYS round up to 100pp, sometimes I give 200, what can I say, its still cheap.. if you are on the west end rd cliffs, and want to go to a beach rd destination, you'll have to get out at the parking lot at Scotia bank and then get in another route cab marked beach rd.. or vice versa..

Its a great method of transportation for singles, and couples, but in groups of more then 2, regular cabs will be better value sometimes.. I always make sure I have 100's, cause I don't want to hold anyone up waiting for change..
    Last edited by jasperpso; 08-24-2011 at 08:15 AM.

User Info Menu

I have read on numerous occasions that you have to get out at the roundabout and switch to another route taxi. Every time I made the trip between the beach and the West End I asked to be taken the whole way for $400j for my wife and I and was never turned down. It was the first week of May and slow season might have played a factor, however I never even had a route taxi driver flinch when I proposed this.

Quote Originally Posted by jasperpso View Post
    Ok, there are route taxis going back and forth on their routes.. some routes fairly short, like beach road negril, or west end negril routes.. some are much longer, you can take route taxis to Kingston if you want to..

The benefit is a inexpensive ride were you need to go, but it isn't a private taxi, often it will be a full load, mostly Jamaicans getting to town or home from work.. the rates vary in cost by route length, but both negril routes are under 100ja pp, but I ALWAYS round up to 100pp, sometimes I give 200, what can I say, its still cheap.. if you are on the west end rd cliffs, and want to go to a beach rd destination, you'll have to get out at the parking lot at Scotia bank and then get in another route cab marked beach rd.. or vice versa..

Its a great method of transportation for singles, and couples, but in groups of more then 2, regular cabs will be better value sometimes.. I always make sure I have 100's, cause I don't want to hold anyone up waiting for change..

Administrator

User Info Menu

Booger - that means that you chartered the taxi - essentially changing any "route" taxi into a "charter" taxi....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

For anyone not familiar with the difference between route and charter is there a distinguishing mark, sign, color of plate that would identify one from the other?
    All I can remember from my trip is they would beep the horn as they approched to ask if you needed a ride.

Steve

Administrator

User Info Menu

All taxis have red license plates, be it route or charter.

Route taxis have the words "Route Taxi" painted on the side panel of the vehicle, and it describes the route that they normally drive.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Booger,

Booger I would do the same thing when I grabbed a Route Taxi on the Beach Road and was headed to the West End. I would always ask in advance and settle the price. I would only do this if the the Taxi was empty. I noticed on some ocassions that is was a Green Island Route Taxi that would take me all the way up the West End Road. Same thing if I was headed from some place on the West End to the Beach.

I usually stand on the side of the road that has the traffic going in the direction I'm going and when I see a Route Taxi approaching, I point towards the ground in the direction I want to go and they pull over and pick you up. Sometimes it is empty, sometimes it is full, but it is always and adventure.

I remember one night taking a Taxi down the West End Road towards Seaview and we pulled over to pick up a group of young ladies dressed to kill, jus little ole me and a taxi packed with honeys........

Enjoy,

VVHT

Big thanks to this board for pointing me toward the Route Taxis, can't believe how much I have saved over the years!!!

User Info Menu

when I jump in a route taxi on the cliffs......I'll ask them if they do the beach route too........
    a lot of times they say they do and you don't have to switch taxis at the roundabout......
    the charge is still $200J's for doing both the cliff and beach route without leaving the taxi.......
    all bets are off after dark as the route taxi's become scarce on the Cliffs so things change a likkle bit....
    and it changes alot after midnight on the Cliffs...........mostly charters up there at that time of night

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

STAY tuned..!!

as we *speak* i'm working on a video 'bout route taxis

will address a BUNCH of frequently asked/and *implied* questions/concerns.

gonna have a few Negril taxi men help me out with the video

again:::>> stay tuned
    soon come
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

It is an added adventure to go all the way to the Taxi park.

You get out there and listen for guys yelling "Beach" or "Cliffs" or whatever is the route.

All kinds of taxis and folks milling around, talking and what not.

Especially at night, the place gives you a nice tingling feeling.

You can feel the electricity in the air. At least i do.

One night I got out at the park, found the beach guy taxi and he said "here, get in"

I said, man, I know you are waiting to fill up, so i will stand outside the taxi and enjoy the show.

He just looked at me and turned around and kept yellin "beach, beach".