Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is a route taxi

User Info Menu

Ok, Smith, me waiting for the video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    all bets are off after dark as the route taxi's become scarce on the Cliffs so things change a likkle bit....
    and it changes alot after midnight on the Cliffs...........mostly charters up there at that time of night
    If at least 2 persons traveling, at least 2 route legs to your destination and pay the normal double fare after midnight, they don't seem to have a problem with it. Another way to make them happy is let them know they should take other riders (you are not expecting a private ride)

User Info Menu

Sometimes I have been picked up by drivers with larger buses (red plate only) that I think are mostly used to transport employees. It seems that they are not really supposed to operate as route taxis (motions and noises made when I try to hand them the fare) so I have learned with those to slip it to them discreetly or tuck it into one of the dashboard cavities.

User Info Menu

What is a route taxi - an excerpt from 'Sunset Negril' . . . .

Here is an excerpt from 'Sunset Negril' that talks about route taxis . . .

When Danika reached the road it was almost one o’clock. The skies to the south were threatening rain. She waved down a route taxi which took her to her hotel, only five minutes down the road from the aerodrome.
    There is no mass transit system in Negril. But there exists a very effective public transportation system, called route taxis, that makes it easy to get around.
    A route taxi is a private conveyance that has been licenced to operate between two points, for example; Green Island and Negril. Route taxis ply the roads between their designated limits, collecting and dropping off passengers who pay a set fare for the route segment. There is no regular schedule and there are no taxi stands. Travellers simply wait on the side of the road and wave a taxi down as it approaches. Then, when approaching their desired drop-off point, which can be anywhere along the route, they ask the driver to stop. If a passenger wants to go further than the limit of the route, they disembark at its termination, usually a parking lot, and get on a taxi that services the next segment. In this manner it is possible to travel the entire width and breadth of Jamaica.
    Busy routes are serviced by many route taxis. A passenger doesn’t normally have to wait longer that a minute or two for a taxi to happen by. However, during off-hours and in remote areas, it’s another story.
    Danika’s hotel, The Hummingbird, was familiar to her. She’d previously stayed there with her father and Kate on several occasions. The hotel property straddled the beach road. Rooms were located on both the beach and the garden sides of the road. The office was on the garden side.

Want more?
    https://www.createspace.com/3613657
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

this topic tickled my funny bone - lol