Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have been to Negril 4x and am now giving Ocho Rios a whirl and need advice badly.

User Info Menu

Skip Ochi, go to Port Antonio! See the real Jamaica. Portland has waterfalls, many beaches, lush, lush, tropical setting. If you've been to JA a few times you are ready.

User Info Menu

One more thing... Boston Beach is home of Jerk Pork in Jamaica, (of course Jerk chicken also going on). Costs in Portland are generally much lower than Negril and Ochi. However it does cost money to reach there, whether by taxi, island hopper etc.

User Info Menu

Second the the vote for Scotchies !!!!! The best jerk EVER !!! Soo good we ate there everday and never ate at another place in Ochi

We went to Ochi in 2009 but we stayed out of town in St. Ann's Bay which is only a few minutes away from Ochi and really close to Dunn's.
    The place we stayed at High Hope Estate was at the top of a hill overlooking Ochi & St. Ann's. I highly recommend HHE if you don't want the hustle and bustle of Ochi, although it is secluded and private.

Ochi area is good if you want to do tours and attractions nearby like Dunns Falls, Dophin Cove, 9 mile, chukka, etc.
    But I prefer Negril too!!!!!!
    Choochy420

User Info Menu

I love Ochi...I also love Negril...they are different and it depends on what you are looking for in a vacation. Ochi's beach is not comparable to 7 mile but as stated before...certainly was not any hustling there. I enjoy the clubs in Ochi and the Margaritaville there is MUCH better than Negrils. I also like to walk around and people watch and just sit and chill. there are not the same kinds of food vendorss or restaurants in Ochi however so keep that in mind. Also Negril doesn't have the little bars all up and down like Negril does. I still love it there.

User Info Menu

Ultimate Jerk Center IMO has the best jerk pork - it is on the main highway to Ochi and you will usually see a line of people there ordering food. Good rates too. Dunns River is a tourist attraction but a nice experience still. There are lots of beaches to explore between Ochi and Port Maria (St. Mary parish) as well.
    “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru

User Info Menu

I did similar to what you are planning - love Negril but want to check out what the rest of the island offers.
    To answer your question directly - I think if you are in Ochi, Dunn's River Falls is a must do. Granted it's not as "natural" as Mayfield Falls - but it is spectacular. Kind of like Rick's in Negril - you have to experience it once.

Try to go on a day when there is not a cruise ship docked - as others have said.
    Bring your own water shoes, and one of those disposable, waterproof, cameras - otherwise you will be paying for their shoe rental and a guide to take pictures from the bank with your camera.
    Also, because Dunn's takes a good bit of time to do at a fun pace, I'd suggest you just take a regular taxi there.
    Save the "hired driver for the day" for another day. Why pay him for the whole day, then have him sit in the car for several hours while you're doing the Falls?
    A good trip to combine with the Falls, I thought, was Mystic Mountain. We did Dunn's in the morning, and MM in the afternoon. If you are staying at a hotel in downtown Ochi, MM is on your way back from Dunn's.
    08: Jan-NegrilTreehouse
    08: Nov-RoomsOnTheBeach, Ochi & TobysResort, MoBay
    09: Apr-Legends, Negril
    09: Dec-Legends, Negril
    10: Apr-HolidayInnSunspree, Mobay & SeastarInn, Negril
    10: Nov&Dec-SeastarInn & FunHoliday, Negril & SunsetResort, Treasure Beach
    11: Mar-FootePrints & NegrilBeachClubCondos, Negril
    11: Sep-Legends, Negril
    12: Sep-SeastarInn, Negril
    13: Mar-Match Resort & Bay View Resort, Port Antonio & El Greco, MoBay
    13: Dec-SeastarInn & Shields, Negril & VerneyHouse, MoBay

User Info Menu

My experience in OCHO is that the food is spicy, completely different from Negril , patties & jerk are completely different ( but Great ) ... the funny thing is the locals from Negril have never been to OCHO ... so close but so far away . definately worth the trip , but its a long day - mostly travel

User Info Menu

Sorry, I think I mis-interpreted your original post as asking about what to do while staying a couple days in Ochi, not a day-trip there from Negril. I would advise NOT trying to do as a day-trip from Negril, because the trip is so far - you will drive most of the day and just get to do 1 activity. Instead, I'd suggest you stay there a few days, then as others suggested, combine it with another few days in Port Antonio - since from Ochi it is so close by, relatively speaking.

The one thing I liked about Ochi over Negril, was that the attractions were all close by - not the 1.5hr drives like from Negril to YS Falls, Appleton Rum Factory, Black River Croc tour, Pelican Bar, etc. Besides the Dunn's River Falls morning/Mystic Mountain afternoon combo-trip day I suggested in earlier post, there are also several other things you can do close by Ochi. Chukkha offers a variety of things - we did the horseback ride with part in the ocean. There is also Dolphin Cove, Fern Gully, Prospect Plantation, to name a few.

Finally, I can't talk about a trip to Ochi without recommending Evita's Restaurant. I mainly do places along the lines of Red Dragon, 3 Dives, Bigga's, De Bar, etc for the local food/vibe/price - but once during a trip I like to splurge on a fancy place. In my trips to Jamaica, I have yet to find anyplace I liked better than Evita's in Ochi. They do a unique blend of Italian and Jamaican, all with a great terrace view from the hills overlooking Ochi.
    http://www.evitasjamaica.com/guests.html
    Last edited by Ohio_Buckeye_1; 08-30-2011 at 01:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Thank you so much for your repolies!! Really looking forward to the trip. Can't wait to see Port Antonio, eat at Scotchie's and climb the falls.

User Info Menu

If you PM me your mailing address, I will send you the Ocho Rios 'booklet' I found in last Sunday's Gleaner... (I am back in the US now)