Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disconnected in Jamaica - One View

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Disconnected in Jamaica - One View

There's something to be said about not bringing your smart phone (iphone/droid) to Jamaica. For one, you cannot connect. Yet, realizing that there are rental phones in Jamaica, i'm beginning to believe that not having a gadget may be good for the mind on vacation. One of the NYT bestsellers, Hamlets Blackberry by William Powers, talks about how new technology usually creates busyness, and the author explains the new technology in the times of Plato, Ben Franklin, Shakespeare, Seneca and Gutenberg and compares it with our current screen dilemma. But for Jamaica, if you go without a gadget, you may engage differently with the people in the hills. It forces you to be aware. Now, on the beach, the ipod might come in handy, but not getting emails, and not surfing the net, probably is a good thing. Screens (notebook/terminals/phones) maybe need to stay disconnected for maximum effect.
    Death does not concern us., because as long as we exist, death is not here. And once it does come, we no longer exist.
    - Epicurus

User Info Menu

I could not agree more! I only use 2 pieces of electronics while in JA... my ipod and my digicel. The ipod stays in my room on a docking station so I can have music in my room. My regular cell stays off... with only my digicel on, only family from home and friends in JA can reach me.

I am amazed how much this lack of technology forces me to interact more, it is great. I am able to "disconnect" from the hustle and "connect" to the people of Jamaica.

User Info Menu

need the digicell to get ahold of my friends on the island and the laptop every 3 or 4 days to upload pictures in case I lose on of my cameras, and for tunage in the condo. Other than that the electronics can stay away With an entire culture to explore who needs the rest of it. And this from a geek

User Info Menu

Except for my Digicell fone and ipod for music thats it for me..No computers, no tv, and loving every minute to get back in touch with my other senses and make some actual eye-to-eye connection with people..Except for work relations never understood this need for all this other stuff when taking a break from your day-to-day life...
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

Radio only for me...I like listening to the Kingston traffic reports in the morning...

User Info Menu

I just advise everyone in the office that I'm out of touch for the 10 days we go each year. They have the number of the hotel in case there's a crisis, but no direct connection to me.

Wench, just take the USB cable for your camera and you can stop by an internet place and get your pictures burned to a CD as backup. That way you have no temptation to check Email...

User Info Menu

I am debating even bothering to get a cell phone at all..I can't see as I would really need it...

User Info Menu

I stayed at White Sands for 17 days in 2008 and there wasn't a tv in my room. It was weird not having it but I got used to it fast and I'm glad it wasn't there. I read the bible a lot that they had in the nighstand drawer and spent a lot of time on my balcony people watching and more time at the beach. I only used my cell phone to call home to check up on family.

User Info Menu

I never bring my phone or get a digicell. I leave all the information on how to get in touch with me in an emergency with my kids and my mom.... and I have also told them what constitutes an emergency. I don't think I would get half of the self care time that I get while I'm on vacation if I did bring those things. If I need to call someone while I'm down there I usually just borrow someones from the resort and give them a few dollars for helping me out. After having a particularly stressful year a few years back I made the decision to completely unplug while there... and for me, I totally feel the difference when I'm there and feeling mentally rested.

User Info Menu

I hear ya, beachgirl, that is about what I plan doing..just give my family a way to get in touch with me in case of an emergency, and have some 'me' time.