Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am looking for some pearls of wisdom from my magnificent fellow boardies...

User Info Menu

I am looking for some pearls of wisdom from my magnificent fellow boardies...

Can I get peoples thoughts on Fun Holiday Beach Resort .... we are looking at over new years and the first couple of weeks. There are 5 or so of us girls going do for two weeks of fun. I'm trying to fit everyone's budget, all inclusive requirements and my desire to be on Negril Beach.

Has anyone stayed here and what are your thoughts? Also, is it in a good section of beach with lots of activity around? I'm not familiar enough with what's around there to make judgement.

The good the bad and the ugly are welcomed..

thanks!
    Jamaica Bound!

User Info Menu

Hmmmm....have you looked into Merril's yet? That's the first place that came to mind when reading your wish list. I personally wouldn't do Fun Holiday again for the simple fact there are better options out there for around the same price. It is right across the street from the Jungle and centrally located I just didn't have the best time there...If it were me I would compare it to Merrils and see what the price different would be. Now if Fun Holiday came in significantly less, then I would consider it, but if it's comparable I would go with Merrils. Good luck!
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" R.N.M

User Info Menu

I've heard good and bad about Fun Holiday. My friends stayed there in June and had a nice time but said they wouldn't take the AI option there again. Check out Seawind and Beachcomber Club. They also have AI options as well, as does Rayon and Hidden Paradise, though not located directly on the beach.

User Info Menu

Thanks Maryann and rastagal... the price IS significantly cheaper especially for new years time. I suspect we will spend some time at the resort but also try the local fare. I stayed at Sunset at the Palms in January... no comparison ... this will definitely be a cheap vacation. Thanks for your input. I really do appreciate it.

User Info Menu

I stayed there for a week last Nov and would say it is OK for a budget hotel - clean, safe, barebones room to sleep, shower, and store your stuff. The room we had, and the hotel in general, was showing the wear and tear it gets as one of the spring break HQ hotels, but everything in the rooms worked - good AC and hot water. Our maid was good about leaving extra towels and did a good job, and the rest of the staff was friendly and nice, too. I also liked that the pool was right at the beach and has a swim-up bar.

One thing with you having 5 people - the rooms are pretty small. I assume you are planning on having 2 rooms? Also, the rooms downstairs have 2 beds, and the rooms upstairs have Kings - so make your reservations accordingly.

It is on a good section of the beach, if by that you mean close by bars/restaurants and the nightly beach parties. Roots Bamboo is just 2 properties south, Alfred's only about 6-7 properties down, and the Jungle is just 2 properties up, across the street. Several good little local restaurants are walking distance right across the street, too. Fun Holiday is right at the 2km mark on this map, to orient yourself - http://www.maherconsulting.com/negri...p2011final.pdf

I know what you mean when you say they are "significantly cheaper", because they sometimes offer incredible deals. Last Nov, with a Travelocity 50% off deal, it was the lowest price for a beachside hotel I could find. Just $39.84+tax+fees/night (came to $322 total for the week!!) for 2 of us in a downstairs (what they call gardenview) room. But that was low season and they were mostly empty.

We only ate 1 meal there (and it was just fine) the whole week because there are just too many other food places to try out in Negril - you could easily stay 2 weeks and not eat at the same place twice. Plus we also did the majority of our drinking at those other restaurants, random bars all along the beach and west end, and the nightly beach parties. Because we knew we were going to do that, we figured the AI price just didn't make sense - but that was us. Even for the time we spent lounging at the hotel pool/beach, we saved by keeping a cooler in the room and getting Red Stripe, Rum, and mixers from the Chinaman's store downtown by the Burger King. We found doing that was much cheaper than their AI - but again the AI price was not discounted like the room rate we got was. You should really discuss with your friends how much you will actually be at the hotel vs eating/drinking out, and do the math on room alone vs their AI price.

One final thing I am sure you are aware, but want to mention just in case. Their AI is food/drink only - they don't include any water sports like you would see at Sandals, for instance. Also, their AI food is buffet only, not ordering from their menu - and only certain drinks included, for instance a draft beer called Real Rock (OK but it's not Red Stripe). They are not unique in this - that is pretty standard at the AI-optional hotels in Negril.
    Last edited by Ohio_Buckeye_1; 08-30-2011 at 03:23 AM.
    08: Jan-NegrilTreehouse
    08: Nov-RoomsOnTheBeach, Ochi & TobysResort, MoBay
    09: Apr-Legends, Negril
    09: Dec-Legends, Negril
    10: Apr-HolidayInnSunspree, Mobay & SeastarInn, Negril
    10: Nov&Dec-SeastarInn & FunHoliday, Negril & SunsetResort, Treasure Beach
    11: Mar-FootePrints & NegrilBeachClubCondos, Negril
    11: Sep-Legends, Negril
    12: Sep-SeastarInn, Negril
    13: Mar-Match Resort & Bay View Resort, Port Antonio & El Greco, MoBay
    13: Dec-SeastarInn & Shields, Negril & VerneyHouse, MoBay

User Info Menu

I have never been to Fun holiday, but there are SO MANY negative reviews, that the place scares me a bit .... The best thing about the place is there is a good pool, but I will remain loyal to Bar b Barn, that place has the best value of anywhere .....

User Info Menu

Fun Holiday was real popular on here years ago when it was new.......and still has it's fans.........
    but you hear some not so good things about the place nowadays on here........
    like their overbooked and send you to another hotel...........
    or they went AI and the food wasn't that good........
    or the manager was suppose to take care of something and they never did etc etc.......

personally if your gang are not a fussy bunch......and if you don't go AI....
    and you get a really good price....then I'd say go for it but beware..........

I think a place like Negril Beach Condos or one of the other less expensive resorts might be for you guys....

to go AI you really need to eat and drink a ton to make it worth your while as eating out there isn't that expensive....

been to Merrils and it's nuthin to write home about.......the food is bland and served buffet......
    tiny plastic cups for drinks..........and that not so good Real Rock draft beer.........
    but the location is super duper........and the rooms are nice and well maintained..........

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gerryg123 View Post
    ...but I will remain loyal to Bar b Barn, that place has the best value of anywhere
    gerryg - I've heard good things about BBBarn, but they don't post room rates on their website.

For future reference, can you give an idea what their room rates are low and high season.
    I'm sure, like most of the locally owned hotels, repeat guests can work out a discount - but just wondering ballpark rates.
    (I may get in a last minute trip before starting a new job)
    TIA

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your replies. I would have loved to stay a Bar B Barn... however it wasn't in the cards for this trip. I have booked the Fun Holiday Beach Resort... and I think that this particular resort seemed to meet our requirements for everyone in our party. There are 4 people now going and its hard please everyone. I think this place fulfilled everyones needs (even minimally). One girl is on a very very limited budget and wants all inclusive for the food and she like to drink; I wanted to be on the beach and to be central. With it being so cheap it allows us to eat elsewhere if we want... I do believe that it will be a basic clean place to sleep and thats fine... I know its not a 4 or 5 star but its price is allowing us to be there for 2 weeks and be on the beach and be there for new years eve. I may have breakfast there but will probably eat out alot... I can't wait to try some of the other restaurants. So, I will keep you updated after my trip on my thoughts. However, if you see a Canadian chick standing by the road with a sign looking for a room help a friend out okay...lol
    Thank you again for your honest responses. I am leaving the day after tomorrow for a week in Montego Bay, I am planning at least one day in Negril and may try to see the resort while I'm there... or maybe not.. let it be a surprise in December
    Jamaica Bound!

User Info Menu

You have a great attitude, I am sure you will have a great time ..... You're going to love Negril.